Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Holton loop whooped out

Rode north loop of Holton this morning. Felt like a yo-yo. Are those whoops ever groomed or repaired? If so,

how do they do it and how often?

That one has not been graded in many years (if ever).  It was whooped out bad 7 years ago, sure it's just as fun now.

Don't believe there is a 24" grader in service any longer.

Rode north loop of Holton this morning. Felt like a yo-yo. Are those whoops ever groomed or repaired? If so,

how do they do it and how often?

If you didn't like Holton, you would likely not like Horseshoe either.  It's just a few miles north of there.  Pretty whooped out. After about 30min I had enough enough of that place.  I'd pick Cedar Creek over those two.  But Cedar Creek has sand and quads to deal with.

Just  went to cedar creek last weekend. Never been there before , thought it was a good time. 

-r-

Delighted to at last encounter, if only at a distance on this forum, other humanoids willing to acknowledge the genuine state of Holton Loop. Those interested, can read what I posted on my blog about that place by clicking following link:

http://suppresseddirt.blogspot.com/2012/07/holton-loop-motorcycle-trail.html

However, there are other more important issues at stake here - Why is it like that and why hasn't something been done?

Incredibly, the Cycle Conservation Club, whose local west Michigan chapter maintains it, sponsored an organized ride there a year or two ago and found nothing amiss with Holton or nearby Horseshoe, which also has big maintenance issues. The U.S. Forest Service through it's trails coordinator told me it hadn't been done because the specialized equipment to do it, owned by the CCC was out of repair, but the CCC insists there is nothing wrong with 24" grader and it hasn't been done because Forest Service won't authorize it. It's all a big convoluted mess and probably only organized pressure will make any difference. If the riders on this thread would be interested in coordinating a campaign to cut the B.S. and get something done, get back to me and we'll see what we can stir up. What have we got to lose? The situation can't be any worse than already is.

suppress. Very interesting. I was going to join the CCC last weekend and ride with my kid on the fall color tour, but the weather with tent camping and distance changed our mind. I still plan on joining the CCC because I think its a worthwhile endeavor. That being said who knows how inner workings (politics) are and how they may change from year to year. Perhaps my participation could help in some small way.

"Nothing amiss" :lol:  There is very definitely huge whoops problems there and I imagine that nobody rides there because of it, otherwise it would be a kick ass trail. You basically can't get out of second gear because you'll carry to much speed into them, and they don't flow and aren't evenly spaced so you can't float the tops of them. They are EVERYWHERE there is even 20 feet of straight trail, and many in the middle of tight tree turns. Very difficult for young kids.  Did I mention they are DEEP?  I should take some pictures soon with my kid disappearing beneath the crest of the next whoop.

Anyways, I would love to help any way I can. Gotta make it fun and safe for these kids as well as ourselves.

Just to show you how little its used there, the outhouse facilities at the trailhead are the cleanest I have ever seen, anywhere, at any public facility. That ought to tell ya somethin'. :thumbsup:

DNR web site shows who is a grant sponsor, who gets what and what they do.

Incredibly, the Cycle Conservation Club, whose local west Michigan chapter maintains it, sponsored an organized ride there a year or two ago and found nothing amiss with Holton or nearby Horseshoe, which also has big maintenance issues.

If you are referring to The West Mich. Trail Riders , yes, we did sponsor the Spring Ringer there a couple years ago. That was the trail we were asked to use. A previous riding group decided to no longer sponsor a ride on that side of town. The West Mich. Trail Riders do "NOT" maintain that trail. We maintain Lincoln Hills and the connector out past 115. Also trail maintainers do our best to keep the trails free of such things as downed trees, face slappers, and close off little spider trials, replace stop signs and confidence markers. However its not up to us to do grading. I would personally like to see new parallel trail placed in bad whooped sections. However this is a DNR and Fed. Forrest issue. It took over three years to get approval to re-route a small section of the Cross Connector up by Boone. And I think was because it was in everybody's best interested to keep riders off of a section that technically you needed to be street tagged. All maintainers welcome more help when ever available.

Edited by sndmn2