Sign in to follow this  

I don't mean to beat this to death, but WR450F or CRF450X? Maintenance and price?

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm thinking about getting back into riding. My last bike was an old (Maybe late 80's early 90s?) Honda XL350 and I've been on a few 250s and whatnot. I was originally looking at 250s and everyone seems to recommend a 450, probably because I'm a pretty heavy dude, 6' - 230lbs. Whatever bike I do get will probably never see a track, mostly the desert and fire roads/trails etc. 

My two biggest concerns are price and maintenance. I was probably not the best bike owner ever, but my Honda XL350 was like zero maintenance. Changed the oil every 8 rides or so I would estimate and that was it.. yet as old as it was and as hard as I pushed it, it never let me down, ever. I was under the impression that things would naturally get better not worse, but from reading over the last few days it seems like maintenance is a lot more involved now? My knowledge of how to take a bike apart is pretty limited, so this kinda worries me. I do all my own maintenance on my trucks and I'm mechanically inclined.. but the idea of having to change fluids every ride and valves after 15 hours etc makes me kinda want to reconsider buying a new bike. I also see a lot of mentions about having to make modifications to bikes right after you buy them, "derestrict" etc.. I have no idea what this is or why I should have to modify a brand new bike, I'm confused. 

Next up is price. I have been away from the game for a while and I'm unsure of all the differences between bikes and how much is too much, etc. FBC has both bikes, priced almost $1000 apart, and on top of that I believe they accepted my offer of $5500 + fees for the WR450F for a 2012 "old stock" which puts them about $1500 apart. Does this seem like a fair price? I was looking around for used bikes and was having a hard time coming up with anything under $4k for a bike that isn't 6+ years old, and many were in the $5k range. I also consider it a "pro" that I can finance the bike rather than handing thousands in cash to a stranger only to find out there's something wrong with the bike later.

I know this comes up a lot and I've been searching like crazy, but these are two issues I don't see discussed. Thanks a lot for any help you guys can give me!

EDIT, just heard back from FBC, they want $339 for freight and another $389 for "set up" making it about 6250+tax for the WR450F, decent price or too high? Its a "brand new" old stock 2012.

Edited by meety peety

I can't comment on the Honda - I am sure it is a great bike. But the wr450 is for sure a great bike. I have a 2005 and it has been rock solid. You will want to do the mods. If you are somewhat mechanical u can do them yourself or make a deal with the dealer to get them done right away for you. Your price seems Very good.

Don't sweat the maint. Just keep the oil changed after several rides (how often is debatable but it is fairly inexpensive). I am looking at an KTM because I want to try something new but my 2005 could last me 8 years more and i will never truly exceed it's capabilities. In fact i have been thinking about getting a 2012.

You will love this bike but you do have to uncork it.

• Like 1

I had a WR 450 , great bike but a 300 XC Xcw will be lighter on paper and feel much much lighter riding it. Tire you less. Will go all day on a tank of fuel. Easier, cheaper and less frequent maint . Good luck

I had a WR 450 , great bike but a 300 XC Xcw will be lighter on paper and feel much much lighter riding it. Tire you less. Will go all day on a tank of fuel. Easier, cheaper and less frequent maint . Good luck

I'm sick of crap like this, did the OP ask about a KTM? Did he say anything about wanting a 2t? How bout we answer the question instead of shoving a 2t, ktm down their throat? Every thread turns into this crap... Back in topic

Don't fret the maintenance, yes if you were racing their would be a lot more maintenance, especially with a yz450f or a 450r, but the x or wr are both good bikes. do the normal stuff like oil/filter and they will last a long time. Only other thing is checking vavles every now and then, but that's really not that hard once you do it one time. and they don't have the titanium valves of the race bikes so they last a lot longer. I have ridden the Yamaha, but the x is a sweet bike. I would ride them both and see which one feels good to you!

• Like 1

I'm sick of crap like this, did the OP ask about a KTM? Did he say anything about wanting a 2t? How bout we answer the question instead of shoving a 2t, ktm down their throat? 

Every thread turns into this crap

see which one feels good to you!

you're awfully angry bud ...  reeeelaaxxxx there Jem. The guy said he's been out of riding for quite a while  and the offroad 2T's have come a long way since his 80-90's bikes he mentions, very mellow power deliver and simple and low maint (one of his concerns) , very lightweight and can find leftovers at good prices. I just had a guy here 2 weeks ago on an old honda 4T , he rode my 300 XC and bought one the next day instead of the 4T he was planning on. He liked the weight , nimble feel, power delivery and said it was the total opposite of everything he percieved would be 2 stroke. More info never hurts , thats what people are here for. I dont care about 2T , 4T , Ktm , or whatever , It's information not shoved at all .  The guy said mostly the desert and fire roads/trails etc , thats ground zero XC-w / XC territory.  If he said MX i'd say look at a YZ250 over an sx anyday...i'm not married to any brand. I ride and recommend what I've had good results with.

OP , ride a few bikes and see what you like. Good luck man !  :ride:

Edited by avocasingletrack

No I'm not angry I'm just tired of everyone not answering the original question and automatically chiming in that ktm 2t is the best thing since sliced bread. or whatever bike wasn't in the OP question. Lets just answer the questions that are asked! If it was hey been out of riding awhile which bike should I get, then that's fine. but he asked a very specific question between two bikes, sorry just tired of seeing it.

Thanks for the input guys. Indeed I am pretty much asking specifically between these two bikes right now as I've already narrowed down my options, but I'd also agree more info never hurts. So since maintenance doesn't seem to be a real issue, what exactly is "uncorking" and is this something I will have to do with both bikes or just the WR? I googled around and can't come up with specifics. Thanks

Seems like I'm really leaning towards the WR. I like the 450X, but the price difference is just too much.

Uncorking usually refers to adding a pipe and making it breath better with a new air filter ect. some people just feel they need more power. my advice buy the bike and ride it for awhile. if you feel the need for more power you can add a pipe/filter at a later date. never rode a wr450, but I thought the power of my 450x was plenty out of the box, but as you ride more ect and get comfortable you may feel the need for more!

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. So ultimately there isn't anything I need to do right off the bat with the bike then. I'm sure it will take me a season or so before I'm back to where I used to be on a bike (It's been about 3 years since I rode) so I'll probably start looking at upgrades at that point. Anything else I should look out for or ask the dealer about before pulling the trigger? I'm probably going to check out the bike tomorrow, still not 100% if I'm going to buy it, I want to sit on it and if they'll let me, test it out before I make a decision. Any modifications I should request they do for me? Thanks guys

One thing to ask is if they will give you a discount on anything purchased when you buy the new bike, such as helmet gloves ect. I've always gotten the dealer to give me atleast 10% off when I buy a new bike/arc and get a helmet/gloves/riding gear ect. if its been three years maybe your old stuff won't fit as nice as it once did!

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up. So ultimately there isn't anything I need to do right off the bat with the bike then. I'm sure it will take me a season or so before I'm back to where I used to be on a bike (It's been about 3 years since I rode) so I'll probably start looking at upgrades at that point. Anything else I should look out for or ask the dealer about before pulling the trigger? I'm probably going to check out the bike tomorrow, still not 100% if I'm going to buy it, I want to sit on it and if they'll let me, test it out before I make a decision. Any modifications I should request they do for me? Thanks guys

had a '06 WR450, they are considered about as reliable as you can get. However uncorking is mandatory, at least back then. No $ really, unplug a wire, remove the "pea-shooter" from the exhaust, cut down or install a shorter throttle stop. Not sure about the 2012's, I'd check the WR forum. Actually bikes are so good now, you can pretty much pick your favorite color.

Mike

As flagstaff said check the WR forum - there are many posts and step by step guides on uncorking - there is a great community of WR owners who will walk you through whatever you want to do with the bike. Good luck.

• Like 1

Hate to say it but ride a ktm 300, it will change your life!! (Disclaimer- it will not actually change your life but you will start singing the song "where have you been all my life..." It's that good)

• Like 1

Just buy the Yamaha....don't listen to all the KTM nonsense. I'm with Jem.....why does every "what bike should I buy" thread turn into a "buy a KTM or you are an idiot" thread? You could in all probability just buy another XR/XL and be just as happy....of course you wouldn't be as "cool" in the parking lot at Starbucks with a Honda or Yamaha in the back of your truck as you would a KTM. :rolleyes:

Haha thanks for all the input guys. I'm pretty sold on the WR unless I go to test it out tomorrow and somehow hate it. A friend of mine picked up a KTM last season and it is very nice, but not in my price range. Also the local shops around here don't seem to have any "old stock" KTMs left and that really seems like the only way I can afford a new (Never ridden anyway) bike for how much I can spend. And as corny as it may sound.. I do like blue :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Don't know about the honda but my 2005 wr450 was a beast so much bottom end but it sure didn't come that way I swear they are like the most restricted bike ever open up air box rejet carb remove all the bs smog stuff and grey wire and throttle stop and what not throw on a pipe you got crazy power

Don't know about the honda but my 2005 wr450 was a beast so much bottom end but it sure didn't come that way I swear they are like the most restricted bike ever open up air box rejet carb remove all the bs smog stuff and grey wire and throttle stop and what not throw on a pipe you got crazy power

Didn't need the pipe, but, well Hell Ya!

Mike