Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel is misaligned with the rest of the bike after taking out the forks.

I have a 1999 KX250, and I had to take the forks out to put fork skins on. I throw the forks back in the clamps, first thing I notice is its ridiculously hard to put the right fork in. 2 people had to force it back in. Bolt everything back together, go for a ride, and the bike pulls horrendously to the right. I talked to my mechanic and he said that the forks are probably twisted in the clamps, and to use the "wheel inbetween the knees and twist" method with the clamps and axle pinches unbolted. Still nothing. This was last night at around 10, so I just rolled the bike back in the garage with everything loose and let it sit until now, and now I am back at it. Still can't figure out whats wrong. I've included a few pictures. Any advice? 

Also, Before I took the forks out, the bike traveled nice and true. 

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Take the forks off and apply some WD-40. Slide one fork in and torque the top pinch bolts first, then the bottom. The other fork should slide right in. Torque the top first, then the bottom. You should be perfectly aligned. Then put the wheel on.

Take the forks off and apply some WD-40. Slide one fork in and torque the top pinch bolts first, then the bottom. The other fork should slide right in. Torque the top first, then the bottom. You should be perfectly aligned. Then put the wheel on.

Did this: still off. I went ahead and took both forks off and adjusted the bottom clamp. Right now, the right fork, where the axle slides in, sits lower(lower meaning closer to the frame of the bike) than the left, hence the reason the wheel is crooked. turned the bottom clamp to the left a bit and put everything back together. Still horrible. I have a feeling the problem lies within the clamps, as it takes as of now 3 people to put the right fork in and 1 to put in the left. The right fork, where the bottom clamp sits on it, is actually kind of scratched now. Its been 3 hours trying to fix it, I think I might just take it to a mechanic to see if my theory is true

Edited by radeenshemirani

If the triple clamps won't line up, it's possible that one or both of the clamps is tweaked.

You could try and loosen the clamp nuts on the stem so the top clamp and bottom clamp are both loose. Slide your fork tubes into the clamps, torque them down than tighten the stem nuts back up.

Maybe the fork tubes or triple clamps are bent. Everything fit together ok until you took it apart. Now you have something not lined up the same as before and things don't fit.  Try rolling the fork legs on a smooth flat surface and see if they wobble as they roll.

Edited by tech857

Maybe the fork tubes or triple clamps are bent. Everything fit together ok until you took it apart. Now you have something not lined up the same as before and things don't fit.  Try rolling the fork legs on a smooth flat surface and see if they wobble as they roll.

The fork legs have axle pinch clamps attached to the tube. I would have to take them apart and that's way out of my range. I rode the bike yesterday, and suspension wise it seemed fine

You could try and loosen the clamp nuts on the stem so the top clamp and bottom clamp are both loose. Slide your fork tubes into the clamps, torque them down than tighten the stem nuts back up

Loosened both the top and bottom. Still the same

I'm thinking the upper tubes are bent so you could roll them on a big flat table. Let the axle clamps hang off the edge.

I'm thinking the upper tubes are bent so you could roll them on a big flat table. Let the axle clamps hang off the edge.

Okay, will do once I take the forks off again. But the forks are bloated, thicker at the bottom than the top, so would I be able to see any type of bend?