Yz 250 clutch drag gets worse when warm

Hey guys, just replaced the clutch plates and fibers in my 2001 Yz 250. I also filed down the basket a bit, and rerouted the clutch cable properly. If I have 1/8" of slack, initially the bikes is fine, but after going about 30 feet, pulling the clutch barely does anything. So I figured I would tighten it up, I did, and it helped. But then after a while, it started dragging again. I have to keep tightening it the hotter it gets. This isn't right. What could be the issue?

What oil to you use mate?

What oil to you use mate?

gearsaver 80w, my dear fellow. Though I have also tried rotella t 15w-40. No change either way

Try ATF

Try ATF

I have used both of these oils my entire life. It isn't the oil:/

Have you checked the clutch plates for wear? Or the springs? And is this the first time you've filed the basket?

Have you checked the clutch plates for wear? Or the springs? And is this the first time you've filed the basket?

the clutch literally has an hour on it. Same with the springs, but they are in absolutely perfect shape. As far as I know, yes for the basket. It was doing this before I replaces the plates and fibers as well.

the clutch literally has an hour on it. Same with the springs, but they are in absolutely perfect shape. As far as I know, yes for the basket. It was doing this before I replaces the plates and fibers as well.

Check the clutch actuator rod/bearings, maybe its just not actuating

Check the clutch actuator rod/bearings, maybe its just not actuating

you mean the push rod, or the arm? It will work fine as long as I tighten the cable, but the warmer it gets, the tighter it needs to go. It's actuating!

you mean the push rod, or the arm? It will work fine as long as I tighten the cable, but the warmer it gets, the tighter it needs to go. It's actuating!

Peculiar, do you have a ball bearing on the end of your pushrod? Maybe that's missing?

Peculiar, do you have a ball bearing on the end of your pushrod? Maybe that's missing?

I do not have one, couldn't find it in the manual for my bike so I figured I didn't need it.

I do not have one, couldn't find it in the manual for my bike so I figured I didn't need it.

Well then now I'm as stumped as you haha

The push rod and actuator arm both wear out so you are almost certainly just not getting enough throw. It doesn't take much wear for it to start dragging. It happens only when its warm because the plates expand and more throw is then required for full disengagement.

The push rod and actuator arm both wear out so you are almost certainly just not getting enough throw. It doesn't take much wear for it to start dragging. It happens only when its warm because the plates expand and more throw is then required for full disengagement.

so what do you suggest??

I would do the push rod first. Maybe see if your local dealer has one in stock and compare them. It does not take much.

I would do the push rod first. Maybe see if your local dealer has one in stock and compare them. It does not take much.

will do! By arm you mean the little mechanism that you attach the cable to?

Yes