Sign in to follow this  

'05 CRF250R Starting problem - yet another post like this, sorry. (long)

Hey all, multi-faceted issue. My son has a 2005 CRF250R. We were racing Friday before last, The last couple of races previous to that  it was becoming harder and harder to start.

Last Friday, he barely got it started for practice. I noticed what looked like mist coming out of the exhaust when kicking, and then for sure some flames. But he got it started and ran practice. Then came the first moto, before the start gate he was trying to start, much kicking, more of the same, popping, flame, and mist. (I am assuming atomized fuel)  So we end up push starting to get it started. Waiting in line for the start gate it kept crapping out. 2 more push starts. Got it running. We left it running the whole time at the starting gate while the moto in on the track finished. Then I start to smell coolant and see steam. Yup. Well, I figure once the gate drops it will cool down once he gets air moving and coolant pumping. Gate drops, he dumps the clutch. Bonk!! Motor quits 10 feet out of the gate.

Yes, valve shim(s) is what I was already anticipating when we had to do the push start routine and flames. Got it home, checked clearance. All perfectly in spec except for right intake. It was zero or less than zero. (Side note, I reshimmed to dead-nuts spec less than 15 hours ago.)

I bring the one shim into spec. Double, triple quadruple checked clearances. All on the nut. Good. Reassemble. With a twinkle in my sons eye he began to kick. And kick. Repeat. Nothing, not even a pop. So we push start, down the street, all downhill so good speed. No fart, no pop, no nothing. Crud. Yes, brand new plug installed.

Take off tank and seat, pull the plug cap and pop the *old* plug in the cap and kick. Produced good spark. So I can only assume a bad new spark plug? Well, I'll pull the new and put in the old that I know was working and just made spark. I swap plugs. <<insert kick, cuss, kick, cuss, push start, cuss routine here>> &%$#@!? So I reach to the cap to pull it again to see if I can get spark out of either the new or old plug, that is when I got zapped BIG TIME! it hurt like a mofo. I felt it go from my hand, up the arm, across my chest and down the other arm. All in a nano second of course. That shook me up.

Then I started reading about cam timing,and 2 different TDC's. I had up to this point only used the alignment mark on the right side inspection port on the case. I watched a youtube vid that told me about the left side case inspection port over the flywheel. This vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcgdfk1pkbY:

So I go through that routine and pretty much assume I had the cam 180 out or at least off by a tooth or two on the cam sprocket. (and handling the plug cap and wires with rubber handle pliers and treating the whole thing like a ticking time bomb. Not fun.)  Anyway I was 100% certain I had nailed the problem thinking I had the cam timing messed up. I reassembled. Still, after kicking and push starting, NO POP, no sign of life.

&%$#@! do I do next? I don't want to handle the fricking zap-o-matic plug cap/coil taser gun any more.

I ordered a brand new plug cap/coil thing maybe when my son was helping me, I had him pull the plug cap, maybe he yanked from the wire and caused some damage that maybe I am getting intermittent spark?

I don't know, I am lost. Trying to get the bike running soon for the last points race in the fall series for him by this Friday.

:confused:

EDIT: How do I prevent from getting zapped? I've been bit twice & my son once now since doing this project. I want to run some more spark tests because I am suspecting possible intermittant cap/coil wiring issues.

Edited by tahoemike00

I'm dealing with a similar issue. I'm not sure I can help you solve your problem but I'll do my best.

Plug the cap into socket, position so the plug end node is touching engine .. Could be on a bolt head.. Kick and have someone watch for spark. Don't hold the plug or cap.. Just let it rest.

Try that and see if you have consistent spark

Edited by lucrestyle

I'm dealing with a similar issue. I'm not sure I can help you solve your problem but I'll do my best.

Plug the cap into socket, position so the plug end node is touching engine .. Could be on a bolt head.. Kick and have someone watch for spark. Don't hold the plug or cap.. Just let it rest.

Try that and see if you have consistent spark

Lucrestyle, thanks for the reply. I've done what you are suggesting. But whem I went to grab the plug cap/coil (COP) (After kicking)  it shocked me big time. It hurt. Just wondering why and HOW do I run more spark tests with getting bit every time I grab the lpug cap after the kick test. I'm afraid to touch the damned thing now. The bike is just sitting. :cry:

What issues are you having and what have you tried to remedy the issue(s)?