Sign in to follow this  

Gearing

I still havn't got myself a new chain yet but I am now wondering who out there has run 12/51 and then changed back to 13/50 and found it rideable? I changed to 12/51 cause riding hills was a challenge with stock gearing but I'm not so sure I like how quickly the chain and sprockets along with slider and guide are getting eaten up with 12/51

I am tempted to go back to 13/50 but don't want to then suffer the same problems,when I had 13/50 I was still learning hence the swap to 12/51 to help my hill climbing but now 80 hrs later I'm wondering if it won't be an issue for me any more,from a quick calculation my suspension guy did if I was to keep the 12/51 gearing but use a 13T on the front then I will need a 54T on the rear,I'm assuming that's not doable?

what kind of hills are you trying to climb that you cant use stock gearing???? i use 13t-49t i have know problem climbing hills, this bike has more power than you will ever need to climb hills, just twist the throttle more, i ride hills from blue to black dimound hills, :confused:

found that with stock gearing the gap between first and second to be too big,but that was when I was learning so may now have the skills to use stock gearing up hills but don't want to waste money on sprockets to only find it's no good again so wanting to hear from people who have gone from stock to 12/51 and back to stock again

Anyone used 13/53? will this get me closer to 12/51 performance without resorting to a 12T front?

13/53 is a nice option...i usually run 12/53 but will mount a 13 when riding in the faster, flowy areas that allow you to get out of 1st and 2nd gear.

13/53 is a nice option...i usually run 12/53 but will mount a 13 when riding in the faster, flowy areas that allow you to get out of 1st and 2nd gear.

The 12/51 gearing still suits my riding more than 13/50 does,I just don't like how quickly things wear out,what is 13/53 gearing like in 1st-3rd gears,will it climb hills better than 13/50?

I run 12/51 and with the BRP slider have not seen any excessive wear. The 1-2 gap stock (13/50) is just too long for single track and hills.

I was actually going to test 13/51 for a longer Baja ride I have planned. Not sure how I will feel since 12/51 is butter. I think going up to 13 will be easier on the motor for prolonged 50-60 mph riding.

I have a polisport slider and it has held up well but the front sprocket and chain is toast,but I like the gearing and don't really want to change other than for it lasting longer,just wondering how close 13/53 will be to performing exactly like 12/51?

The 12/51 gearing still suits my riding more than 13/50 does,I just don't like how quickly things wear out,what is 13/53 gearing like in 1st-3rd gears,will it climb hills better than 13/50?

It'll climb like a mountain goat compared to 13/50

It'll climb like a mountain goat compared to 13/50

Thanks for the info,will 13/53 have a faster top end compared to the 12/51? will the 53 rear just chew out the chain guide rather than the 12t chewing out sliders?

The 13/53 will have a little more top end than 12/51. If you are running TM designs slider and guide(and you should), you won't have to worry about chewing it up front or back. I run 12/53 and have been for over 3000miles....slide and guide still going strong. Worn?...yes...worn out?...not even close. Still prob get at least 1500+ miles before replacement.

thanks for the info,I have a tm guide on the rear,just having trouble finding any 53t rears,has anyone run 13/52? still better than 13/50 for climbing hills?

Will I need a longer chain than 114 to be able to run 13/53? may go for a DID VX2 chain.

Will I need a longer chain than 114 to be able to run 13/53? may go for a DID VX2 chain.

Yes. Get a 120 link chain and cut to length.

FYI. Just put the 13 counter shaft sprocket back on with a 51T in the rear. Used all 120 links. I do run a nice fatty tire so it has to set out further than stock: 120/90-19. Ran her yesterday and was pleasantly surprised how well she ran in single/double track in the woods. That long 1-2 gears drove me nuts before, barely got it into 3rd with this set up.

Edited by jimmyh