Sign in to follow this  

i'm 14 years old 5'3 and 110 pounds what kind of bike should i get?

I'm looking for a first bike and i'm wondering what kind of bike i should get. 

I was thinking of a yz or rm 125

What are you planning on doing with the bike ? Play riding, motocross, enduro ?

. Pits and trails

Not as a first bike, unless you're ready to take on all the maintenance of them. You're a bit small for a 125. Find a crf150f to learn on, solid first bike, with virtually no maintenance.

I would say crf150f is your best bet as well then. Your on the small side for a 125 and they don't make the best play bikes. They are high maintenance and very pipey. Ride a crf for a few years figure out where you want to go with the sport and then make a upgrade.

I'm ready for the maintenance and I've been riding a crf150f

Wait till next year then and see if you hit a growth spurt. If not try and find a older kx100 they kind of bridge that gap.

If u think u could handle the power...I would get a 125 but start easy on it because 2 strokes are real snappy...best of luck on ur choice

My friend has a yz250f and he thinks I should get one

Stick to the 4 strokes

that's what my dad was thinking

that's what my dad was thinking

A 250f is more expensive to maintain that a 2 stroke. You're also not big enough for a full size bike. Look for a big wheel 85 or a kx100. Sure you could ride a big bike, but trust me, in the trails you will regret having a bike that you can't put both feet down on and is twice your weight.

Yeah but if I got a 125 or a 250f I wouldn't grow out of it

A 250f is more expensive to maintain that a 2 stroke. You're also not big enough for a full size bike. Look for a big wheel 85 or a kx100. Sure you could ride a big bike, but trust me, in the trails you will regret having a bike that you can't put both feet down on and is twice your weight.

what would I have to do to maintain the bike

what would I have to do to maintain the bike

A high performance 250f (kx250f, yz250f. Rmz250, crf250r) need valve checks and sometimes adjustments once or twice a year depending on how much you ride, which is a couple hundred bucks per visit to the shop. At about the 150-200 hour mark of GENTLE riding they need a new top end, which is probably 4-700 at a shop. Any high performance bike also require more consumables like air filters and oil filters (if 4 stroke) and more oil changes than a trusty crf150f

Get a 150f, work on your riding skills, or maybe a kx100 if you're up for it. Save the big bikes for when you can truly muscle them around how you want to.

My personal bikes are a yz125, kx250f, and a yfz450 (quad). I know the work required for them and the two stroke is always the cheapest and easiest to work on. I also maintain a yz85 for my brother and a crf150f for my sister, the 150 is a trusty bike that won't ever let you down.

Edited by nholden98

Seems to me that u don't want a 85 and u are leaning toward a 125 or 250f and I would do the same...but I would recommend a 125 because a 250f could be a little heavy for u and the 125 still has great power to give.