I want a Yamaha IT - but which one?

I was about to ask the TT vintage masses which IT is a good buy.  I'm thinking some parts availability, reliability and a decent bike for some semi-serious single track riding.  Just now I found an '82 IT250 for what seems like a good price, but I don't know if that's a good year or generation.  I rode an IT425 a little and it seemed heavy to me and over-kill for what I do.  And I don't know ANYTHING about IT200's.   I'm getting tired of my HEAVY Suzuki DS bike.  Anyone got any advice for me?

425 is sweet. Why the it's ? A more modern smoker like yz or ktm will give you better service,and partz are easy to get , i had a couple big bore it's back in the day , and liked em . Hard starting sumbitvhes when you tried to kick it after a crash and you weighed less than 150#,lol.

For an all around ,i loved the it175 the bestest

If you can get that 1982 IT-250J for cheap (or reasonable) money, it might be worth a shot, as long as it doesn't need a lot of money thrown at it to put it in proper condition.

There was only one generation of IT-250 that was newer than the 1982 IT-250J and that was the 1983 IT-250K, and 1983 was the last IT-250 sold in the USA.

I've had 5 Yamaha ITs in the past, and if I could have one dropped in front of me today in perfect condition to actually ride trails with, it would be the 1982 IT-175J or the 1983 IT-175K (same machine except for fuel tank stickers and the color of the fork boots).

Edited by YZEtc

i've got a '77 IT250... i'd not recommend one unless it was almost free (mine was) and you're willing to do a lot of changes/fab work (i was) to get it where you want it. 

stock, i like the '81 - '82 and the '83 IT250 for all-around riding

near any IT175 for tight/woods riding (don't let the small displacement fool ya)

open, desert... IT465 or 490.  They're very much a love it or hate it kinda thing. I had a YZ490 that was nothing but fun after some modifications (Eric Gorr "head mod" and porting)

My 200 is a killer single track bike, the 250 of the same years are quite abit larger, better suited for more open stuff.i just raced my 200 once so far in a vintage enduro and was amazed at my speed, race modern enduros on a modded yz 250 and its a tank in comparison. The 200 is a perfect blend of power and handling to make it a great bike. I raced the 200 new and always wanted to find a super nice one, now I have it and its a keeper.

1381028982086.jpg

My friend has several IT's including a 465 that I'm pretty sure he bought/stole from Chuck Norris lol.  They are neat bikes for sure.  That said don't rule out the 89-97 WR250's.  You can find them for fairly cheap these days and imo (for whatever that's worth--probably not much) they are one of the best offroad 2T bikes ever built.  Worth looking into anyway :ride:   

Edited by Rot Box

since other stuff has been mentioned besides ITs....

how about a KDX?  

'86 - '88 KDX 200... air cooled, front disk came out in '86,  simple as a rock, great woods bike in my worthless opinion.

'89 KDX 200 is water cooled with a new frame... somewhere between there and '95 or so they went with USD forks... '95 had a new frame.

don't know the bikes past there... but i had an '88 and a '95, both were great bikes.

My 200 is a killer single track bike, the 250 of the same years are quite abit larger, better suited for more open stuff.i just raced my 200 once so far in a vintage enduro and was amazed at my speed, race modern enduros on a modded yz 250 and its a tank in comparison. The 200 is a perfect blend of power and handling to make it a great bike. I raced the 200 new and always wanted to find a super nice one, now I have it and its a keeper.

Thats a cool looking bike.

Thanks guys, I'm soaking this all in before I decide what to do.  I have nothing against a 2t WR but I rarely see them for sale near me.  Only slightly better with the KDX.

BTW- I won't say "absolutely NO" to a 4t, but it will take a lot of convincing for me.  I was thinking maybe I should have posted this in the "WHAT BIKE SHOULD I BUY" sub forum but I really like VINTAGE Yammies.

Edited by motoxvet

Do the IT200 & the WR200 have anything in common?

Negative, other than both being Yamaha 200 2-strokes.

Different designs throughout.

The IT-200 is a nice trail bike, too, as I owned a 1985 IT-200N back in the day.

As previously mentioned, the IT-250 (any model year) will feel a fair bit bigger and heavier than an IT-175 or 200 (any model year) for tighter trail riding.

Not impossible to use one for that, though.

Negative, other than both being Yamaha 200 2-strokes.

Different designs throughout.

The IT-200 is a nice trail bike, too, as I owned a 1985 IT-200N back in the day.

As previously mentioned, the IT-250 (any model year) will feel a fair bit bigger and heavier than an IT-175 or 200 (any model year) for tighter trail riding.

Not impossible to use one for that, though.

So, is the WR200 a decent bike?  I have one for sale close to me but I'd hate to buy a turd.