Knocking engine - 2013 RM-250

Hey everyone! I have a 2013 RMZ-250 and just recently notice a "knocking sound" in the engine. I am new to dirt biking and not a mechanical genius outside of changing the oil, tightening spokes, maintaining the air filter and other little things. All self taught by means of motocross magazines and videos on Bike Bandit and a few others. I can't do any substantial engine work so I have no idea what this may be, then maybe I'm just hallucinating and it's normal and it always but I just noticed it. Regardless, can anyone offer some insight. The bike has about 60 hours, and has not been ridden hard at all. I really care for it and just love it! Sure I've dumped it a few times but nothing really bad. I have not adjusted any valves or done any piston work. Could it be the gas (93 octane), valves or piston? Is it normal? I'd really appreciate some input. At 43 this sport has really become my life! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381017363.494868.jpg

Does do it constantly? Like on a stand? First thing I would do is dump tank and get fresh gas. Start bike up and listen to the engine. Noise coming from cylinder head? Timing chain? Crank? Piston. Does it change with rpm? Does the bike feel different? Does it have less power? Vibration? Hesitation? Stall? Hard to start? Run hot? Things like coolant,the exhaust and the engine oil will tell you a lot. If you take radiator cap off with bike running-can you see coolant flowing? When you drain oil-look in the oil and magnet. Is other any metal? How about the filter? What color is the exhaust outlet? Is it real black,tan,white? How about the spark plug? What does it look like? Check the timing-does everything line up right? If you feel these items are out of your element,ask a friend to look it over. Sometimes its best tojust take it to a trusted mechanic and let them fix it. Sounds like you really like your bike. A good mechanic will have your issue resolved in no time and if you set a budget-they will not go over it. Figure $120 to find issue and the x amount to fix (parts+labor). It could be a simple valve adjustment or a major item like a crank. Nobody knows until digging in. Best of luck.

• Like 1

Stuff this I'm hearing about to much going wrong with the 13 rmz250s when they get 30+ hours on them I'm selling it.....

60hrs is very reasonable for a piston replacment, i used to have to replace my crf250 pistons at about 40-50hrs, and my old 250 2-stroke pistons where done at about 40. not saying that this is the issue with the original poster, AC has his bases covered when it comes to proceadure in these circumstances.

Hey everyone! I have a 2013 RMZ-250 and just recently notice a "knocking sound" in the engine. I am new to dirt biking and not a mechanical genius outside of changing the oil, tightening spokes, maintaining the air filter and other little things. All self taught by means of motocross magazines and videos on Bike Bandit and a few others. I can't do any substantial engine work so I have no idea what this may be, then maybe I'm just hallucinating and it's normal and it always but I just noticed it. Regardless, can anyone offer some insight. The bike has about 60 hours, and has not been ridden hard at all. I really care for it and just love it! Sure I've dumped it a few times but nothing really bad. I have not adjusted any valves or done any piston work. Could it be the gas (93 octane), valves or piston? Is it normal? I'd really appreciate some input. At 43 this sport has really become my life! 📎 ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381017363.494868.jpg

have you diagnosed the problem?

Hey guys

I appreciate all the input. My apologies for not a more timely response but I had some work related things that popped up and have taken all my time this past week.

Perkybewbs- I change the oil after each time I day I ride (owners manual advice). I also try to stick to the schedule. May be nonsense but I like the bike and want to keep it going for as long as possible.

Slowgs2001-I can't tell you enough how appreciative your input was. With your questions I took the bike back out and focused on each thing you addressed rather than the knocking sound and how com extend and pissed I was getting so let me respond:

Yes it does it constantly, on and off the stand. The noise comes from the cylinder head

Fuel I drained the tank entirely and replaced it with VP racing fuel (I read that in another post AND though pricey it is worth the expense.

The bike seems to idle normal and when I look at the plug it doesn't seem to run hot (at least at to what the owners manual addresses). There is no loss of power and is not hard to start at all.

The timing issue is way above my head and I don't yet have the confidence to adjust my valves. So I am taking it to the mechanic on Tuesday. Like you he said it could be a variety of things but with the advise you gave I was able to convey the issue without sounding like a total retard. I will be happy to let you know when I pick it back up.

Motoaddict- I hear what your saying but I went back and re-read the reviews on the bike (which seem pretty good still). Though the engine didn't get the highest ratings on performance (not as many HP as Kawi) I am still confident in it. I think the issue may be more on my end but I think the Suzuki mechanic will get me straightened out

Again I appreciate all the input. This bike and the Moto sport have become my life. In fact it saved it. Just a year and a half ago the doctor was lecturing me on getting a hobby because my blood pressure was 150/105 and I was a mess on the way to the grave. Having wanted to always dirtbike I began a strict diet and PT regime (Crossfit) lost a shit ton of weight, got my BP way down and rewarded myself by purchasing the bike in March 2013 (after reading its reviews). I also divorced my wife and began taking riding classes and the rest is history. The next thing is to learn how to make some repairs because by the summer of 2014 I want to enter a race or two.

Again thanks guys. I'll let you know what the issue is though some of you may already have it figured out.

• Like 2

Hey everyone! I have a 2013 RMZ-250 and just recently notice a "knocking sound" in the engine. I am new to dirt biking and not a mechanical genius outside of changing the oil, tightening spokes, maintaining the air filter and other little things. All self taught by means of motocross magazines and videos on Bike Bandit and a few others. I can't do any substantial engine work so I have no idea what this may be, then maybe I'm just hallucinating and it's normal and it always but I just noticed it. Regardless, can anyone offer some insight. The bike has about 60 hours, and has not been ridden hard at all. I really care for it and just love it! Sure I've dumped it a few times but nothing really bad. I have not adjusted any valves or done any piston work. Could it be the gas (93 octane), valves or piston? Is it normal? I'd really appreciate some input. At 43 this sport has really become my life! 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381017363.494868.jpg

Hey, not sure this helps as youv already sent the bike to your mechanic, but i just got done diagnosing a buddies bike with a clicking sound that increased with RPM. turned out to be really badly adjusted valves (measured a 0.30mm clearance on left intake!!!). If your making MX you life, its worth it to start getting yourself mechanically inclined so you can do typical adjustments yourself. lots of guys on here that are more than helpful to explain things thoroughly.

• Like 1

The bike goes the mechanic on Tuesday. Your are so right about learning this stuff and getting the skills to do it. I really have no buddies around me that would have anything to add or be able to assist like a mechanic, so I am taking some classes to deal with this. Looking forward to it. It all a learning experience

Cool. Hope you get it fixed up. Sometimes the mechanic will be open and explain what he found and give ideas for things to do or look for. Its always a learning experience and the more you can learn about the bike will be valuable. A lot of the mechanics of one bike carry over to another and even automobiles. Gaining knowledge is priceless.

Well everyone I got the bike back and it was nothing more than my own rookie paranoia. The mechanic advised that because I'm using a synthetic oil more sounds become more recognizable. Regardless, the sound I'm hearing is coming from the cam shaft side and chain within the engine. He did say for 60 hours the bike is well taken care of and engine one of the best he's looked at. Never charged me a dime and even gave me some additional instruction on other simple thing like chain adjustment. I kicked him a fifty dollar tip and walked out feeling like a rookie but at least an educated one....Good times!

Thanks again everyone for the input. I read some of the other posts and intend on making some adjustments (i.e VP fuel, etc...).

Well everyone I got the bike back and it was nothing more than my own rookie paranoia. The mechanic advised that because I'm using a synthetic oil more sounds become more recognizable. Regardless, the sound I'm hearing is coming from the cam shaft side and chain within the engine. He did say for 60 hours the bike is well taken care of and engine one of the best he's looked at. Never charged me a dime and even gave me some additional instruction on other simple thing like chain adjustment. I kicked him a fifty dollar tip and walked out feeling like a rookie but at least an educated one....Good times!

Thanks again everyone for the input. I read some of the other posts and intend on making some adjustments (i.e VP fuel, etc...).

Yeeea buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem with this theory is that I have a new motor, running non-synthetic and have the same sound.

• 6 years later...

Synthetic oil is not going to make your engine more noisy.  Sorry. The point of synthetic oil is that is has better lubrication properties.  

If the engine was quiet and now it’s not there’s an issue.   

valves tighten as they wear and don’t make noise.  Usually the engine is harder to start because a tight valve clearance prevents a valve from fully sealing, hence, compression is lower

a worn/ stretched cam chain can slap and make noise.  A broken cam chain tensioner can also let the chain run loose and create slapping 

the piston could be slapping if excessively worn

last the lower crank rod bearing could be worn.  The slop in the bearing lets the piston exceed the stroke or length of travel.   In this case the piston could be bumping the head or the excessive play in the rod bearing is knocking as it rotates.  A rod bearing is usually a deep “thuddy “ noise where as the chain and upper top end issues are more “tickey” sounding.  

but a noisy engine because of Synthetic oil is BS .  Also run the proper oil weight  and don’t run automotive oil in motocross bikes .  You need motorcycle oil as it has additives for “wet clutch”.  Only Honda separates the crankcase for most year 4 strokes and usually Engine oil and Transmission oil.