Can I use 4t motor oil...

So, today I got a good deal on some Motorex Legend 15w50 4T motor oil (premium mineral oil) and was wondering if I could use that in my 09 150SX Transmission? The sales person assured me that I could use it in my 150, and I will admit I was skeptical, so I did a quick search online from my phone and saw that it recommended the 15w50 oil.  What I wasn't paying attention to was that it said Top Speed and not Legend.  Naturally, when I got home and checked my manual, it says it recommends Motorex 15w50 Top Speed 4T engine oil, which I believe is fully synthetic. Will the Legend mineral oil work as well?  I'm a tad bit afraid to put it in just because I do not want to destroy my perfectly running machine. So...any tips or info would be great!

Edited by Fretburner

Hi all !  That oil will be fine  . Meets JASO specs .

Thanks for the info  :thumbsup:. Has anyone tried this in their transmission?

Honestly I have no idea....that being said I run Rotella in all my bikes (2t and 4t) and have had no issues.....(but according to others I have no idea what I'm doing)

Honestly I have no idea....that being said I run Rotella in all my bikes (2t and 4t) and have had no issues.....(but according to others I have no idea what I'm doing)

I was thiking about doing that as well (the white bottle, 15w40 I assume?), but got a pretty decent deal on the Motorex stuff so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I was thiking about doing that as well (the white bottle, 15w40 I assume?), but got a pretty decent deal on the Motorex stuff so I thought I'd give it a shot.

For sure, if you can buy oil for a good cheap price then I would do it too. The reason I switched to Rotella was because I can find it everywhere. I can also buy it cheaper and I do my oil changes more frequently then most. I also use a SS filter also.....

Being what it is, I have been happy with my results of Rotella.....270+hrs alone on my 500exc with 100s of hrs on other motorcycles also....People talk about how its not right, its diesel oil etc etc but IMO, I have shown results and proof that it does work (at least to myself). I have used it under race conditions, with Rekluse clutches, in BB 4ts, in SB 4ts, 125s, 250s and 300s, in -30c conditions and 40c conditions and all of these bikes have not had any issues related to oil.....

Just my thing I guess....

Not to mention the fact that you are ruining off road racing by riding a KTM, you villian  :naughty:   :lol:

Not to mention the fact that you are ruining off road racing by riding a KTM, you villian :naughty::lol:

But I own a Yamaha too now!

A number of KTM race teams also run Rotella .. so I guess they don't know what they are doing either  :lol:

Its amazing the number of "marketing suckers" who think Motorex is some magical oil .... news flash ... KTM profits off the sale of Motorex .. but OF COURSE, that has nothing to do with their recommendations to use it  :rolleyes:

KTM could tell people to ride their bikes off cliffs, and some people will do it. :cool:

Don't think their marketing has influence ?? ... look at all the KTM riders who wear Orange boots, helmets, etc. etc.   KTM's marketing is VERY effective, and big profits for the company ... and Motorex oil is nothing more than that .. nothing wrong with it, but hardly the best thing since sliced bread either ... its just good oil (like so many others). :thumbsup:

Every "believes" their oil is best, but good luck in getting them to validate it or provide any concrete proof behind their statements.

If it meets JASO specs. then its fine to use.  :ride:

Edited by supervokes

I use Rotella 10-40 in my 2t gearbox also.  I can get a gallon of it for about the same price as a quart of Motorex.  I always figure it's better to change oil more often.

A number of KTM race teams also run Rotella .. so I guess they don't know what they are doing either  :lol:

Its amazing the number of "marketing suckers" who think Motorex is some magical oil .... news flash ... KTM profits off the sale of Motorex .. but OF COURSE, that has nothing to do with their recommendations to use it  :rolleyes:

KTM could tell people to ride their bikes off cliffs, and some people will do it. :cool:

Don't think their marketing has influence ?? ... look at all the KTM riders who wear Orange boots, helmets, etc. etc.   KTM's marketing is VERY effective, and big profits for the company ... and Motorex oil is nothing more than that .. nothing wrong with it, but hardly the best thing since sliced bread either ... its just good oil (like so many others). :thumbsup:

Every "believes" their oil is best, but good luck in getting them to validate it or provide any concrete proof behind their statements.

If it meets JASO specs. then its fine to use.  :ride:

I know KTM profits from Motorex and probably vise versa...I mean every page in the user manual recommends something by Motorex.  That being said, I got the oil for dirt cheap and decided I wanted to try it. My only concern was that I had never heard of it (Legend) before and was assured it would be sufficient to use as it met the JASO specs.  With my uncertainty cleared, I'll try it out and if I like it, cool; if not, Rotella it is.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Fretburner

Dont over think it. You can use just about anything. Do a search and you'll find how folks have used ATF, 5w-20, 5w-30, and up to 75-90 gear oil. Try it all, and see what works best for you.

Personally, I change wt's depending on the season. Thicker in the heat, thinner in the cold. My 02 300 has a lot of mile on the OEM clutch.

For sure, if you can buy oil for a good cheap price then I would do it too. The reason I switched to Rotella was because I can find it everywhere. I can also buy it cheaper and I do my oil changes more frequently then most. I also use a SS filter also.....

Being what it is, I have been happy with my results of Rotella.....270+hrs alone on my 500exc with 100s of hrs on other motorcycles also....People talk about how its not right, its diesel oil etc etc but IMO, I have shown results and proof that it does work (at least to myself). I have used it under race conditions, with Rekluse clutches, in BB 4ts, in SB 4ts, 125s, 250s and 300s, in -30c conditions and 40c conditions and all of these bikes have not had any issues related to oil.....

Just my thing I guess....

I would type a response but this is what it would say. Ive use rotella t 15-40 in my 680 hp f1a procharged 32v mustang, my 2005 zx10r, ktm 2 strokes, ktm 4 strokes, honda 4 strokes, honda 2 strokes, and yamaha 2 strokes. NEVER a single issue in any of them

Edited by Woodsweapon350

Yes that oil will work well in your tranny. I've been running ATF for over 20 years. It's cheap and I change it often