Sign in to follow this  

TT 350 Idle issue help needed

Its official I have no idea what is causing my issues. This bike just wont idle and I'm out of ideas.

This bike will start easy and run well on all jets but the idle jet, once it gets hot starting becomes harder. The bike requires me to open the throttle to start it. A small amount of oil is coming out of the crank case breather and it blows a small amount of smoke. It feels like it has a good amount of power when i ride it. Changing the fuel screw setting on the carburettor makes not difference that i can tell. 

Iv been through all of the air boots, air box, air filter. Cleaned the carburetor 3 times (made a massive difference to how the bike runs at speed just not at idle. Iv swapped to a known good carburettor and it still wont idle.

I'm thinking valves, Timing or rings/compression. But I'm getting out of my depth on that side of things.

where should i go from here guys? This one has got me. 

cheers,

Ryan

ps350,

That’s what I’m thinking at this stage I’ve ordered a compression tester and I’ll let you guys know what the results are! 

Compression test completed,

60 psi and 80 psi adding oil down the plug. So i guess we found my problem. I just wish i could tell what size the bore is at with out pulling it down.

Where i live this makes this bike non economical to repair if the local shop does just a rebore, hone and new piston rings and gaskets it will be $1200 + 500 to buy it off tge guy that owns it. If I do the work im thinking 700 max for parts and shop work. Does anyone have experience with the costs of doing this kind of work? I want to save this bike if i can!!

Did you do the compression test with wide open throttle ?

Maybe you just need another set of rings ?

Do you hear piston slap ?

Could it really be that simple? no i cant hear bad piston slap. someone has removed the insides out of the exhaust so its a little hard to hear anything!!

Just baffle the exhaust with a can that will fit over the end and stuff a shop rag in it . Too tight will choke it .

But , you should be able to hear the motor much better .

Seriously , I surprised the motor runs at all with that low of compression .

Just baffle the exhaust with a can that will fit over the end and stuff a shop rag in it . Too tight will choke it .

But , you should be able to hear the motor much better .

Seriously , I surprised the motor runs at all with that low of compression .

I’ll have another go at the compression test tonight or tomorrow just to make sure I have it all right, 60 seems a little low for a running bike but I have heard of worse but only just. Thanks for the help pd350 much appreciated.

I’m going to talk to the owner this weekend and see if I can get this off of him. I’m going to suggest that the bike is not worth fixing to him but is to me as I can do it myself and see how I go.

Edited by Tanis