Sign in to follow this  

Rotella T5?

Just came back from a 5 day trip through Nevada, Arizona and Southern Utah logging over 900 miles. The bikes ran great but my partner and I are thinking of switching from GN4 to Rotella and wasn't sure which was the better of them for long rides. We average 150-200 miles per outing and was wondering if one held up better than the others.

I've been running the 20/50 GN4 but was wondering if someone else who makes long runs has some input on oil weight and make that may outperform the GN4.

It doesn't really matter that much unless you are at full throttle the whole time, and creating maximum shear forces inside the engine.

I change my oil about every 100-200 miles and use one of several good oils, depending on who will give the the best volume discount.

I don't find Rotella oil to work as well in the transmission, at all. You can feel the difference with smoother shifting and less howl when using a higher performance oil like Torco, Motul full synthetic, Honda HP4, Golden Spectro, etc.

Edited by Krannie

I run the reg 15/40 rotella t in both sides of my bike. I don't have a single complaint about the oil. If you look at it from a fleet stand point it's a fantastic oil. Tons of companies use it exclusively in their over the road and day cab tractors. Hotrod guys with high dollar engines use it. It's cheap and it meets all the manufactures specifications, without the added costs of the big brand name oils, that some people insist are better...but hey to each their own.

I use Rotella since it is recommended by Rekluse  -- if it weren't for that I would consider others,  -- but Rotella works .    ITs cheap ,  but I truly don't try to save $$ on oil,  if it happens anyway - that's ok

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Rotella oil. I started with 15/40 but went to full synthetic T6. Works great on my revloc auto clutch. I have recently went to Mobile 1 0w-40 and find it to work very well and in the same price range as Rotella.

It doesn't really matter that much unless you are at full throttle the whole time, and creating maximum shear forces inside the engine.

I change my oil about every 100-200 miles and use one of several good oils, depending on who will give the the best volume discount.

I don't find Rotella oil to work as well in the transmission, at all. You can feel the difference with smoother shifting and less howl when using a higher performance oil like Torco, Motul full synthetic, Honda HP4, Golden Spectro, etc.

What have you been using in the 450R?    (asking due to my whiny clutch sounds I opined about in another thread and recalled your R model has the same clutch as my X )