What is the status of Spangler?

California

I'm getting conflicting reports - is Spangler open (legally) to ride during the government shutdown?  We have a large group driving down from NorCal and don't want to get kicked out of our camp.  

I'm getting conflicting reports - is Spangler open (legally) to ride during the government shutdown?  We have a large group driving down from NorCal and don't want to get kicked out of our camp.

Conflicting reports??? Where would they be getting these reports? How would they close Spangler? It's not a National Park.

BLM keeps all Law Enforcement types on duty.  Everything else shut down.  They can't close a gate and keep you out.  But they can come out and ticket you.  There are only so many popuar staging areas and they know them all.

Contact Friends of Jawbone before you show...  and get the straight dope.  You can always camp just inside the Cal City boundry and ride all of Spangler.  It's in Spangler camping they can get you.

But again contact these folks for answers. Maybe it's a non issue.  http://www.jawbone.org/foj/

Not sure if anyone is answering phones...  but BLM in Ridgecrest is the agency for Spangler.

Thanks guys.  I have a message in to FOJ but have not heard back yet.  BLM is not answering phones.  The above BLM site does not say "gated";  it says "controlled".  And it says you can "visit", which may or may not mean ok to camp.  I just want to be certain before we make the 7-hr drive.  If anyone has a definitive answer I'd really appreciate it.  

Thanks guys. I have a message in to FOJ but have not heard back yet. BLM is not answering phones. The above BLM site does not say "gated"; it says "controlled". And it says you can "visit", which may or may not mean ok to camp. I just want to be certain before we make the 7-hr drive. If anyone has a definitive answer I'd really appreciate it.

You just can't camp in controlled campgrounds, they are closed. I just texted someone who is out at Superstition for a race that was cancelled due to no permit. They are still camping with no issues. Oh, and he is a Mod on TT, not telling :-) Edited by kenshaw720

I've never been to that place but from what's been happening at all the Nat'l park sites campers have been evicted. 

Sounds like CC would be an option to camp and roll out of, fuel up at Jburg. 

Thanks guys.  I have a message in to FOJ but have not heard back yet.  BLM is not answering phones.  The above BLM site does not say "gated";  it says "controlled".  And it says you can "visit", which may or may not mean ok to camp.  I just want to be certain before we make the 7-hr drive.  If anyone has a definitive answer I'd really appreciate it.  

Are yo familiar with the area...  Cal City land is just a few miles from the South West corner of Spangler.  It's your call if you wanna ride there if closed.  If I had wives and kids on the ride I would not.

I just sent founder of FOJ an email for you.  Let you know.

Thanks Jeff.  The biggest issue is that we have so many people going at different times that getting everyone to a new place would be more trouble than it's worth.  If we can't camp at our normal spot we will probably stay up here and ride in the Sierras.  

Thats a special place...  you could do worse as a back up plan.  :thumbsup:

i'll let you know as soon as I hear anything..

They say it's open. There is camping going on right now on BLM land. I hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do.

he is a Mod on TT, not telling :-)

Omg omg do tell do tell

After kicking people out of "our land" while taking a furlough they want back pay from the people. F that

PillDoc

Ed Waldheim...  founder of FOJ says "Dear Jeff come on up all is open . Ed."  :thumbsup:

Omg omg do tell do tell

No

Delete

Edited by Wayne_Nosala

El-Mirage Closed 

Now I am bummed...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Great, thanks everyone!  

From what I understand it's only the "controlled areas" that are closed.  That's why El Mirage is closed.  There isn't anyone to open the gate and take the fees.  Spangler is wide open and you should be good to go.

From the blm.

Will I be able to visit BLM managed public lands?
All recreation facilities, including campgrounds, boat ramps etc.,will be closed. If it is a non-developed recreational destination with no controlled access, you may visit. However, there will be no services and there will no nonemergency services available.

Edited by cleonard

What "non emergency services" would they be referring to? Tickets to kids on PW50's riding near camp?