Sign in to follow this  

California What GoPro do I want?

White

Silver

Black

Seems like using the Black model in 720p using 120 frames per second will give me the best of both worlds: reasonably hi res and long battery life...

What can I expect as a minimum battery life in highest/fastest res?

Honestly for space wise, 1080p and 30 fps is the best in my opinion. 120 fps is great for slower motion, but really not needed for regular filming. I have the black and love it but I probably could have been fine with silver. Only reason I chose black is someone was offering a brand new in box black for same cost as silver on Craigslist.

As far as battery life I get about 1.5 hours of straight footage , but a third party offers a thing called wasabi battery packs that give you more life and multiple batteries so that won't be an issue. Your issue is then your sd card size which I reccomend larger if you can afford it.

720P is all you need for youtube.  They cripple it anyway.  1080P if you wanna watch original file on on your 60in plasma.  Kinda depends your purpose.  Home viewing or Youtuber.

Higher frame rates if you plan on using slow mo  effects. 

• Like 1

720P is all you need for youtube.  They cripple it anyway.  1080P if you wanna watch original file on on your 60in plasma.  Kinda depends your purpose.  Home viewing or Youtuber.

Higher frame rates if you plan on using slow mo  effects. 

What about on my 128"  screen?  :banana: 

What about on my 128"  screen?  :banana:

Your overcompensating for sumtin :-)
  • Like 1

Nah. 

Here I am in my backyard watching my new TV:

I stand corrected :-)

Get the black, they go for about $370 on Ebay, thats what I got, love it, battery life is a bit lacking as said above..also has a remote you can mount on your handlebar to operate the unit as well as monitor batt life, mode, and recording time.

The one that makes it look steeper than it is and you faster than you are

wish I would have caught this at the beginning

Edited by crfxer
  • Like 1

I just got back from Costco.  They have the Hero 3 for $239.  Good deal?

No mounting hardware or fancy doodads.  I'll stick with parking lot pics!

Thank you.

Edited by superslyko

The new Silver Edition should be the same as the previous Black Edition and they're still $300 instead of $400...

REI has a 20% off one item thru Oct.15. I got the 3+ on backorder for $320. Just got the 3 a few weeks ago for $330. Going to return it. The 3 is better than the old 2 for sure. I carry 3 batteries which should fill up a32GB card. Plenty for a full day of riding. I see the short battery life the price for such a small camera.

Below are stills from 1440 protune video from the Hero3. Chest mount.

I shoot video just to grab still frames. You get home with 10,000s of photos to choose the best from. Great camera :thumbsup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drkayak/sets/72157636272707853/

Edited by DrKayak
  • Like 1

REI has a 20% off one item thru Oct.15. I got the 3+ on backorder for $320. Just got the 3 a few weeks ago for $330. Going to return it. The 3 is better than the old 2 for sure. I carry 3 batteries which should fill up a32GB card. Plenty for a full day of riding. I see the short battery life the price for such a small camera.

Below are stills from 1440 protune video from the Hero3. Chest mount.

I shoot video just to grab still frames. You get home with 10,000s of photos to choose the best from. Great camera :thumbsup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drkayak/sets/72157636272707853/

Nice pix!

Does the card fill up fast either shooting pix or video?

I'm guessing it has to take a while to look through all the pix.

Nice pix!

Does the card fill up fast either shooting pix or video?

I'm guessing it has to take a while to look through all the pix.

Video is just a bunch of pix stored as one file vs each pix/frame stored as a single JPG. Even in cell phones the line between photo and video is a blur. I find the Gro Pro deals  with shooting from a moving motorcycle in video mode better than photo mode. The individual frames of the video are less blury than shooting a bunch of JPGs in photo mode.

The card fills up based on resolution + frame rate - compression. ProTune is basicly RAW mode on a DSLR (no compression). Shooting 1440 in ProTune vs 720 compressed... huge difference in how many hours a 32GB will hold.

Edited by DrKayak

I got my black for 233, it was on sale for 259, plus I had a 10% coupon code.  I believe they had the black mis-marked with silver pricing when I bought it. so I jumped on it.

Edited by msgtretired