Keep the KDX?

I currently have a 2002 KDX 220r. I just moved to Colorado for college from Wyoming. I sold my last bike which was a DRZ-400S for this one because I was mainly doing desert and climbing hills and stuff so I wanted a lighter bike. I've dual sported both the DRZ and the KDX but the KDX isn't really meant for on road but I just use to run to campus and back sometimes. Now that I'm in a new environment I'm trying to decide what to do. I'll be riding jeep trails and some relatively technical single track here, driving short distances on road, and will still be in Wyoming for the summers. Should I just go all in with the KDX and try to make it a little nicer, sell it and get another DRZ, or sell it and get a different bike, ideally a CRF250X or an older KTM? I loved my DRZ but it was just too big and heavy for me when I had it but I'm a little bigger now and riding different terrain so that is an option again. Sorry if my writeup is confusing. Any insight will help.

The CRF 250 or 450X , WR 450 , Ktm 2T

KTM300EXC or a 450. Word on the street is that's what all the kewl kids ride in Colo.

For short road rides, a 2t will be fine. I would go with an older KTM EXC (02-05). They were really easy to get road legal, and they can do really good in the trails too.

Don't give up the KDX!  Check out kdxrider.com and frpoffroad.com for tips and advice.

Where are you attending college in Colorado....that could make a difference on the recommendation on whether to keep.  Do you have place to lock it up?  Will you still ride to campus and park it there?  Will you be riding it at night?

Where are you attending college in Colorado....that could make a difference on the recommendation on whether to keep.  Do you have place to lock it up?  Will you still ride to campus and park it there?  Will you be riding it at night?

I'm at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden. Right at the base of the front range so there's some pretty close riding.

Don't give up the KDX!  Check out kdxrider.com and frpoffroad.com for tips and advice.

You're making me doubt what the other people have said. Now I'm questioning myself again...

The CRF 250 or 450X , WR 450 , Ktm 2T

KTM300EXC or a 450. Word on the street is that's what all the kewl kids ride in Colo.

For short road rides, a 2t will be fine. I would go with an older KTM EXC (02-05). They were really easy to get road legal, and they can do really good in the trails too.

Sounds like KTM is getting a lot of love. I put the KDX up for sale but we'll see if it sells.

The KDX are good bikes too

The KDX are good bikes too

very good bikes .

I'm at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden. Right at the base of the front range so there's some pretty close riding.

You're making me doubt what the other people have said. Now I'm questioning myself again...

Good school.  My son is interested in going there next year.  While Golden is right at the mountains, I dont really think you have riding that is very close (closest is probably around Central City but that would still be a pretty good distance up hwy 6 and 119).  I have a plated Husaberg FE450, WR250F, KDX200, and KX100....so it is easy enough to convert a dirt bike in Colorado (but you will need a certificate of origin stating the bike is for offroad use only, or you will need it to say that on the bill of sale).  If you already have a Montana title, perhaps it will be easier to get a plate. 

All that being said, even if I lived in Golden, I wouldnt be riding any of my bikes to the trailheads...its just too far.  I wouldnt do it with a WR450F, KTM 450XC-W, KLX450R or CRF450X or KTM200/250/300 XC-W.  I think any of those bikes are fine to plate and you can use them to connect from trail to trail, but I wouldnt be riding 50+ miles roundtrip on top of it just to connect to trails.  Do you have a hitch rack you can put the bike in?

Also, riding season, esp in mountains west of Golden will be over before end of November and wont really pick up until you are done with school in early May so I dont think you will be riding much at least during your school year (and Mines has a well earned reputation for having a huge workload with 17-18 hours of hard classes each semester).  I guess you could ride to campus, but none of the bikes you are considering have locking ignition, locking frames, etc.  And, with ice on the roads overnight, freezing temps, short days and unpredictable weather, I think you will be able to count on one hand how many times you ride it to campus.

All that is to say.....I wouldnt sell the KDX to replace with  any of the bikes  suggested because I dont think you will have the time, weather window, or they arent very practical for street riding.  Perhaps a DRZ400 might be an alternative....otherwise maybe just plate the KDX.  Plan to spend about $75 per year in license fees and about $95 per year for insurance.

P.S.  KDX's will sell quickly out here.  Is your's the 99 KDX220 that just posted today on CL for $950?.  If so, for the money you will get for it, you will regret selling it as you wont find another bike with that much offroad utility for less than $1000.

P.P.S  feel free to PM me if you want advice or assistance on the conversion/plating process.

keep kdx

Good school. My son is interested in going there next year. While Golden is right at the mountains, I dont really think you have riding that is very close (closest is probably around Central City but that would still be a pretty good distance up hwy 6 and 119). I have a plated Husaberg FE450, WR250F, KDX200, and KX100....so it is easy enough to convert a dirt bike in Colorado (but you will need a certificate of origin stating the bike is for offroad use only, or you will need it to say that on the bill of sale). If you already have a Montana title, perhaps it will be easier to get a plate.

All that being said, even if I lived in Golden, I wouldnt be riding any of my bikes to the trailheads...its just too far. I wouldnt do it with a WR450F, KTM 450XC-W, KLX450R or CRF450X or KTM200/250/300 XC-W. I think any of those bikes are fine to plate and you can use them to connect from trail to trail, but I wouldnt be riding 50+ miles roundtrip on top of it just to connect to trails. Do you have a hitch rack you can put the bike in?

Also, riding season, esp in mountains west of Golden will be over before end of November and wont really pick up until you are done with school in early May so I dont think you will be riding much at least during your school year (and Mines has a well earned reputation for having a huge workload with 17-18 hours of hard classes each semester). I guess you could ride to campus, but none of the bikes you are considering have locking ignition, locking frames, etc. And, with ice on the roads overnight, freezing temps, short days and unpredictable weather, I think you will be able to count on one hand how many times you ride it to campus.

All that is to say.....I wouldnt sell the KDX to replace with any of the bikes suggested because I dont think you will have the time, weather window, or they arent very practical for street riding. Perhaps a DRZ400 might be an alternative....otherwise maybe just plate the KDX. Plan to spend about $75 per year in license fees and about $95 per year for insurance.

P.S. KDX's will sell quickly out here. Is your's the 99 KDX220 that just posted today on CL for $950?. If so, for the money you will get for it, you will regret selling it as you wont find another bike with that much offroad utility for less than $1000.

P.P.S feel free to PM me if you want advice or assistance on the conversion/plating process.

I wasn't really planning on riding all the way out to the trailheads. We went riding out near Central City and Blackhawk last weekend. I have a truck to haul it so it's not to big of an issue. And I've also got it plated up in Wyoming so I don't have to worry about that process. An ignition or some sort of lock would be nice because I've just been bike locking my front wheel currently. The workload is crazy here and I don't have much free time but I can always make some for a quick trail ride. :) That's not my KDX. Mine's a 2002 for $2,000. My price is probably a little high but I've put over $1,000 in parts in it and its one of the nicer KDX's you'll find.

3 hunna

Where do you store the KDX?  Are you living in a dorm or off-campus?

Where do you store the KDX?  Are you living in a dorm or off-campus?

They ran out of campus dorm rooms so I'm in a school owned apartment near campus. There's a parking lot and I got a parking pass for it so that is where it is right now. 

Good school.  My son is interested in going there next year.  While Golden is right at the mountains, I dont really think you have riding that is very close (closest is probably around Central City but that would still be a pretty good distance up hwy 6 and 119).  I have a plated Husaberg FE450, WR250F, KDX200, and KX100....so it is easy enough to convert a dirt bike in Colorado (but you will need a certificate of origin stating the bike is for offroad use only, or you will need it to say that on the bill of sale).  If you already have a Montana title, perhaps it will be easier to get a plate.

There's a track right off of C-470 and I-70.

KDX is a PoS. So much so that I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for free. But seriously...if you decide to sell it let me know. I'm interested in picking up something like a KDX.

On another note you need to register the bike in order to ride it on public riding areas.

Yep I know...Thunder Valley....but based on what the OP said about trail riding and single track....I was merely referring to that type of riding he was suggesting wasnt all that close to Golden.  For whatever reason, I got the impression he wanted to ride from his door to the riding areas, but we found out later he has a truck and he will use that to get to riding areas.  Since he will only be riding the street here and there to connect on trail rides etc, I think it makes great sense to just keep the KDX200.  Of course, I am biased - I bought a '06 KDX200 that I plated for my daughter to ride trails. 

Ya, I heard about that right when I got here. I'm not really into track stuff but it looked pretty cool and I might have to try it out sometime.