Sign in to follow this  

Buying an LTR help

I'm looking at buying an Suzuki Ltr right before snow flies. I haven't owned a sport quad yet but I'm ready to finally throw down a bigger chunk of change for one. Ltr interests me the most because I've never had any problems with Suzuki. I was curious on which years are the best and the worst. I know their are a lot of 450 options but I'm dead set on the ltr. All help is much appreciated!

I have an '06, the first year of them, and usually the one with issues, but I can honestly say I have yet to have an issue with anything breaking or giving issues. I do know that some of the '06 &'07 had tranny issues I believe from stuff like being under hard power when landing a big jump, or with paddle tires. I'd say the '08 and up would be the best ones but I don't think any of them will be a bad choice. Just be very, very carefull of WHO you buy it from and what kind of maintenance they did on it. The wrong owner will destroy an anvil.

Where in WI are you located? I have been throwing around the idea of selling mine due to not using it much.

Carbon fiber LTR 2.jpg

Carbon fiber LTR 3.jpg

LTR's are great quads with very few problems. Most problems that arise from ltr's are because of operator/maintenance error. The biggest thing to watch out for is the shift pin. It breaks off of the case which is a very expensive fix if you can not do it yourself (decent tig welding skills needed, if even possible, I never have seen it done from home). They sell relocation kits for about $50. I broke mine when I had an LTR and it was a headache. I had to buy new cases which ran me about $300 used.

This is an amazing walk through if it would help

http://www.ltr450hq.com/forums/part-reviews-installs/5441-b-c-s-perf-shift-pin-relocation-bracket-install-article-how-tech.html

BTW, nice LTR!

Edited by 110Tim

My guess is the pin breakage has more to do with the person forcing the shifter too far one way or the other. There's always a weaker area in every system. I knew there was something with the transmission that some broke. Mine has never been even on its side, 100% stored inside, heated, basically babied, but if you believe it or not I have approx. 5500miles on it, Trailtech Vaper, full syn oil, changed after every weekend ride( 250-400miles),has been out to Oregon dunes 4 times. Have the stock white, unscratched plastic(maybe a few scuffs). 2nd set of Hypers dual beadlocks with Razr's rear Klaw fronts, Fow float Evol, Fox Podium rear, Yoshi P.I.M. with tuner,on and on

I honestly don't know what it's worth(I know what I have into it),The amount is so high and in this state, these extras tend to be worthless when trying to sell, should maybe take back out to Oregon and trade it in there,

make a reasonable offer, I can return to mostly stock to save on price, then I'd have an excuse to buy a new one.

The pin breakage comes from riding hard-as in track riding and intense trail riding. I used to run that quad as hard as I could. I really only went to open practices but did do some neatv with it.

My guess is the pin breakage has more to do with the person forcing the shifter too far one way or the other. There's always a weaker area in every system. I knew there was something with the transmission that some broke. Mine has never been even on its side, 100% stored inside, heated, basically babied, but if you believe it or not I have approx. 5500miles on it, Trailtech Vaper, full syn oil, changed after every weekend ride( 250-400miles),has been out to Oregon dunes 4 times. Have the stock white, unscratched plastic(maybe a few scuffs). 2nd set of Hypers dual beadlocks with Razr's rear Klaw fronts, Fow float Evol, Fox Podium rear, Yoshi P.I.M. with tuner,on and on

I honestly don't know what it's worth(I know what I have into it),The amount is so high and in this state, these extras tend to be worthless when trying to sell, should maybe take back out to Oregon and trade it in there,

make a reasonable offer, I can return to mostly stock to save on price, then I'd have an excuse to buy a new one.

That's the problem with quad builds. My neighbor has had a mint trx250r that he spent ~$15k after everything was said and done. Its been sitting in his garage for close to 7 years and he never rides it.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1381095940.615838.jpg

My son's 2007...never raced or ridden in the mud! Trail ridden only. Adjusted the valves & a new set of tires in 2012. Been a good quad!!

I love the LT-R.. powerful and smooth right out of the box.

You can really wake them up for pennies.  The suspension is great, but can be upgraded to meet your specific needs.

Old and fat now, I can still out ride my nephew, my son, and their bone head friends on their Yammies.