Sign in to follow this  

Does the XR650L have a rev 'limiter'?

Riding yesterday I noticed when revving toward the top of any (1st through 3rd anyway) gear it started cutting out (best way to describe it).  Does this bike have a rev limiter of sorts or is this possibly carb related?

rode it again today and I defenitely don't think it's a rev limiter but must be carb related. Not sure though.

I've never been able to detect a rev limiter on the bike, and I've hit the limiter on every fuel injected bike that I've owned, so I know how to do it. ;)

If there is one, it's up higher than I would feel comfortable revving the motor.  A stock XR650L engine is happiest in the fat part of the powerband.

plugged  main jets can cause weird intermittent surging that can feel like a rev limiter.

I wonder the same thing 

all the other CDI controlled motors I have do use a rev limiter built in

Polaris and Yamaha  I can't see why Honda wouldn't incorporate one also

Rev limiter is the CDI..that's why some get carried away and install XR600 CDIs,,bit of a job it is..A bikes only going to go so fast in any gear before you change up..I have some sort of supposed hot CDI in my 600 but can't exactly say I notice any difference between it and normal..it allows the bike to rev higher apparently..I have no tacho so change when I think its revved enough in whatever gear..No point blowing the thing up in every gear,,If I was racing someone or running from the law it'd get full revs,,that doesn't happen these days..I've become semi responsible ,,something that happens with the aged individual.. :snore:

Here read the blurb..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/804109-how-to-run-a-xr600r-cdi-on-a-xr650l/

Edited by Horri

+1 what hori said the rev limiter is the cdi. Also I don't think Shane772 problems with the " rev limiter" it definatly gotta be carb related problem maybe bad fuel

RegulatorRectifier sells one they claim is improved over the stock model. Not sure if it is new, or a refurbished older part though.

"Redesigned and improved Honda CDI unit. This unit has a stock curve that offers increased power output by offering no RPM limitor."

^from their website on the xrl model. 

I went with a brand new cdi and pg from bikebandit. My 93 fires on the first crank every time and purrs like a big kitten.

thanks

I am aware the rev limiter is normal  incorporated in the   CDI  if it is equipped

I also read some old threads on here that people who modified their exhaust and replaced the carb swore they were bouncing off a limiter at around 7-7500 rpm 

but a stock or even just improved exhaust bike wasn't able to flow enough to hit the limiter  ??

the thing with the big air cooled thumpers, is they dont make power at redline. the tq falls off way before the redline. So there really is no need to rev the piss out of the bike. On a 650r its easier to hit redline esp if your in low gear and loosing traction. In years of riding my 600r and 650r i never hit the limiter on the 600 not once. and i only hit the limiter on the 650r when the bike was new to me and i was intentionally trying to find it. People need to remind themselves these bikes are tractors not 125 smokers. 

I think We were more curious if they even had a limit I know I will never bounce it  as I use mine as a trail tank  LOL

but it's nice to know they are there since they are usually there to stop an unintentional past redline engine damaging  situation

I think We were more curious if they even had a limit I know I will never bounce it  as I use mine as a trail tank  LOL

but it's nice to know they are there since they are usually there to stop an unintentional past redline engine damaging  situation

Kinda funny though..You'd have to be a bit of a Turkey to rev the things so high that you'd blow them up..I mean you'd surely realize,,"it's revved out I need to change gear"..Suppose theirs the odd no hoper about who doesn't understand engines..Last exhibited here by the joker that used solid bolts as banjo bolts for oil delivery to the head.. :bonk:

Edited by Horri

the solid Bajo is forever in my mind as an all time newbie  screw up

I am speculating maybe a fluke crash where it pins the throttle in neutral  etc  

I wouldn't expect a WOT under any normal circumstances  even unloading over a jump like you can with a PWC by accident

but we did have someone say they hit  140 or some crazy #  wonder what the rpm's were ?

Edited by Zimman

+1 what hori said the rev limiter is the cdi. Also I don't think Shane772 problems with the " rev limiter" it definatly gotta be carb related problem maybe bad fuel

So pulled the carb and cleaned it all up.  Only odd thing I found was a piece of green foam came flying out when I blew out all the holes.  I assumed that was the problem, I was wrong, lol.  It's still doing it but I did notice a few things.

1- I now know I have a 160/50 jet set up.

2- I have a serious exhaust leak

You guys think I should change the jetting at all?  Not sure how I'm going to fix the leak.  It's leaking right where the header connects to the slip on, there is no way to make it any tighter.  Seems like there is a gasket missing or something.  Any ideas?

Yep!  I definetly think I'm missing #12 . . . Any opininon on the jetting or why it's still cutting out like that?  It seems fuel related to me but not sure where to go from here.