Chain broke while riding

Let me start by telling you I just finished up changing the drive shaft oil seal and installing the tt mcct. Everything went smooth. Now when doing the oil seal I did take the chain off the bike completely, I have split chains before and out them back together no problem. But being it was the master link that came out this was obviously my fault(i just dont know what I did).

After the bike was back together I was taking it for a test ride, went good for about 5 min, then I was coming up a hill doing probl 15-20 and I punched it and that's when it happened. Well as soon as I felt something I pulled the clutch in. Pushed te bike home and inspected everything.

Everything seemed fine, except for a few marks on my crank case but other than that no visual damage. But here is what I am very concerned about, after checking everything over, I started the bike. It seemed fine, so while watching the sprocket I kicked the bike into 1st from neutral, seemed fine. Then when I pulled the clutch in while it was in first, the sprocket kept spinning. I even put my foot against the nut a little to see if it would stop and it still just kept going. My concern now is I damaged the tranny.

I'm really hoping that is normal activity when there is no chain attached but I'm thinking not. So before I go buy a new chain from cycle gear, I wanted to know if that means tranny damage or is that normal.

Thanks for the help fellas.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's not uncommon to have some drag. The mechanical advantage is against you on the small gear. Put a chain on and try it out.

allterra is right, some drag is common and this doesn't indicate any damage....it might indicate a little bit of clutch basket wear - normal.

Be careful with those master links, I know some folks won't re-use them.

You are fine, get a new chain and master and you will be good to go! :thumbsup:

It's not the link itself, it's just as good and strong as any other link, it's the clamp. It is hard to clip into place, and often the open end gets deformed so it doesn't grab the groove in the second pin very tightly. Still, once the closed end of the clamp is in the pin groove, it's hard for it to fall off, maybe you just missed the groove. I wonder if two small circlips would be a better fix.

I dont suppose you had it to tight? Bare in mind the chain is at its tightest when the swingarm is level . Thats why i say its always best ti have it abit loose than tight good luck

I know a lot of people say clip type master links are as good as the rivet type, but I refuse to use them. I had a clip type come apart on me once. I was lucky. The chain came off the bike cleanly and I just had a walk home. The risk of a broken chain knocking a hole in the crankcase or wrapping around the rear wheel and locking it up is too much for me. 

I don't think I had it to tight, I marked the spot it was on and out it back. I'm sure I screwed up putting the link on. Well I just picked up a new chain and master link. Gotta take a few links off and then we will see how it goes.

I am not a mechanic and probly should be payling someone to do this repairs but I will never learn if I don't try them myself and I don't have anyone who will let me watch while they work on my bike. So far the oil seal is working as well as the mcct. Ill know for sure if everything is back to normal in about 20 minutes.

Thanks for the info fella's

I don't have anyone who will let me watch while they work on my bike.

I dont take my bike anywhere where they wont let me watch them. they should have nothing to hide. Then once you watch them once and pay them for the work, you should be able to it yourself the next time....

Well I got the new chain on. Everything seems good to go. Thanks to everyone for the help with chain and with my oil seal.

Make sure that the master link clip is on the right way. The clip must be put on with the open end facing back if the link is up top of the swing arm. It so as the chain spins the clip will be pushed on by any debris or guides it runs through. Put the clip on the other way and it will come off.

I agree if you don't pay extra attention to the clip  you may not seat it on the pin for the final click

while even DID states  clip style masters  are not as good as a press master  link

I think they are good enough for most  of us 

Let me start by telling you I just finished up changing the drive shaft oil seal and installing the tt mcct. Everything went smooth. Now when doing the oil seal I did take the chain off the bike completely, I have split chains before and out them back together no problem. But being it was the master link that came out this was obviously my fault(i just dont know what I did).

After the bike was back together I was taking it for a test ride, went good for about 5 min, then I was coming up a hill doing probl 15-20 and I punched it and that's when it happened. Well as soon as I felt something I pulled the clutch in. Pushed te bike home and inspected everything.

Everything seemed fine, except for a few marks on my crank case but other than that no visual damage. But here is what I am very concerned about, after checking everything over, I started the bike. It seemed fine, so while watching the sprocket I kicked the bike into 1st from neutral, seemed fine. Then when I pulled the clutch in while it was in first, the sprocket kept spinning. I even put my foot against the nut a little to see if it would stop and it still just kept going. My concern now is I damaged the tranny.

I'm really hoping that is normal activity when there is no chain attached but I'm thinking not. So before I go buy a new chain from cycle gear, I wanted to know if that means tranny damage or is that normal.

Thanks for the help fellas.

no big deal, since you didn't hurt yourself. the engine, transmission, etc are fine. drag from the transmission in gear is normal. 

popping a master link after installing it incorrectly is normal. not wanted, no, but yes very normal. 

if you force the clip on, it will stress and possibly break during installation, or shortly after. use lots of slack in the chain so the link in question can be 90 degrees off from the rest of the line of the chain. it will be much easier to install the keep this way. you'll see what i mean when you're putting it on. 

also, ALWAYS OPEN END TOWARDS THE REAR as the chain runs towards the front of the bike. if you install the keeper with the open end forward, it WILL EJECT at some point. 

clip masters are fine. the goobers doing the wrenching screw it up sometimes (i did once) and pay the price. 

enjoy the new chain, new chains are like new tires: 

sweeeeeet

Put a bit of silicone or engine sealant on the clip, to minimise the risk of it popping off.

I don't think   adhesive   would save a bad clip  install?

and if it's installed correctly I don't see why you would need adhesive ? even if it bonded to an oily chain ? 

do you actually implement this Idea  

I dont take my bike anywhere where they wont let me watch them. they should have nothing to hide. Then once you watch them once and pay them for the work, you should be able to it yourself the next time....

the insurance for most shops won't cover anyone other than employees in the garages, that's why most won't let people back in the bays, sure some don't want you seeing what they are doing because they don't know what they are doing, but most won't let you wonder around in the garage just like most auto places won't simply due to liability if something happened

you can blame it on the idiot that did something stupid, hurt themselves and sued a shop one time and ruined it for the rest

as for watching once and learning and then being able to do it yourself, if it's that easy just get the repair manual and do what it says

like the old saying goes, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it

the insurance for most shops won't cover anyone other than employees in the garages, that's why most won't let people back in the bays, sure some don't want you seeing what they are doing because they don't know what they are doing, but most won't let you wonder around in the garage just like most auto places won't simply due to liability if something happened

you can blame it on the idiot that did something stupid, hurt themselves and sued a shop one time and ruined it for the rest

as for watching once and learning and then being able to do it yourself, if it's that easy just get the repair manual and do what it says

like the old saying goes, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it

thats actually exactly what i did. and all while living in the lawsuit happy state of california. almost every shop would let me in the garage. even walmart lets people in the bay if they have on eye protection. but i watched the guy at my shop once and i learned enough to take my motor completely apart besides the bottom end. Im not saying im an expert but at least seeing how things come apart helps A LOT when you're doing it yourself. it makes the stuff you read in the manual actually make sense. I learn by doing/seeing. not just reading. I've read TONS of stuff on here and didn't have any idea what was happening or that it might ever possibly be relevant to me at any point. but i've seen it done or started doing it myself and all of a sudden i go back to something i read and it makes way more sense. videos help though. I cant wait until they make electronic manuals with videos instead of pictures. but i'll probably get my tablet all greasy....

Put a bit of silicone or engine sealant on the clip, to minimise the risk of it popping off.

This is completely unnecessary.Properly installed the clip-type master link will stay on for the life of the drive chain.

This is completely unnecessary.Properly installed the clip-type master link will stay on for the life of the drive chain.

well, yes and no. i've worn the clip down (by it's natural passing through the chain guides) to an almost paper thin piece of metal. when i realized how worn it was, i replaced it. during the replacement, i neglected to do it correctly, and the new click ejected at 70ish mph. it -will- happen if it's installed poorly, which was my fault, not the clips'.

that's the only part i disagree with. it's possible to wear the clip to the point of failure, while there is still plenty of chain life left. since the pins will also wear flat, and have very little channel to hold the clip on, it's a good idea to inspect and replace as needed. 

i've tried gluing the clip on before, as a test. the lubricants on the chain will break the bond of the adhesives over time. that and the snatching back/forth of the chain. there is zero need for glues on a master link. 

I've seen someone safety-wire the clip on, looked pretty trick... granted it would probably break over time as the chain sides rub in the chain block.