Sign in to follow this  

Looking at going to a new truck.....

Ok so I'm sure I need to keep a truck, but I'm having problems with my current.

My current is a 2001 f-150 v6 Supercab 2wd. Nice truck, enjoy driving it, it does what I need from it. But it's starting to have some issues, not sure what, some people think crank sensor, some people think fuel pump, but either way, at 190k miles, this will not be it's last problem. So I'm looking for something more reliable, such as a ranger most likely.

I am not brand loyal, although I would rather have a Toyota tacoma, I most likely will end up with a ranger. I guess, but I'm wondering if they have any outstanding problems? I also have a few questions about them..... I do alot of highway driving when I go to ride, but I want a manual transmission I THINKKKKK For the reliability, is it possible to have cruise control on a manual ranger? And, I really am sick of not being able to hear my current truck, but I really am not sure if a Ranger with a different exhaust would sound ok, I don't want loud, I just want something I can hear, but also drown out with music if I want.

Orrr....any other suggestions?

• Like 1

OK, first off. Give us some more info on issue with your v6. I assume its a 4.2?

Secondary, I've had many f series and a ranger. The rangers fuel economy is no better than a f250 SD. Neither is the f150 depending on engine and gearing options. Most I've had got between 13-17 mpg.

The real question is how much room do you need?

Third, we have 4.2l engines with 490,000 miles on them. Very minimal maintenance. Oil change at 8,000 miles and fuel filter every other service. Air filters every six months & tuneups every 125,000 miles.

Does the truck have oil? If low on oil it will shut off injectors.

When you turn key do you hear the fuel pump?

They do have a fuel shut off switch under kick panel, passengers side. Need to check it to see if switch is on.

The fuel economy in a ranger is terrible for the size of the truck and how gut less they are. my one ton gets considerably better fuel mileage then my ranger ever did. so if you're looking to buy a ranger because of fuel savings you're looking at the wrong truck. rangers are a good cheap truck but i find they are far to small to be useful.

OK, first off. Give us some more info on issue with your v6. I assume its a 4.2?

Secondary, I've had many f series and a ranger. The rangers fuel economy is no better than a f250 SD. Neither is the f150 depending on engine and gearing options. Most I've had got between 13-17 mpg.

The real question is how much room do you need?

Third, we have 4.2l engines with 490,000 miles on them. Very minimal maintenance. Oil change at 8,000 miles and fuel filter every other service. Air filters every six months & tuneups every 125,000 miles.

Does the truck have oil? If low on oil it will shut off injectors.

When you turn key do you hear the fuel pump?

They do have a fuel shut off switch under kick panel, passengers side. Need to check it to see if switch is on.

I know rangers aren't much better on gas, but I was assuming atleast 1-3 mpg better....

And like you said it boils down to how much you need, well all I do is put a bike in the back and go ride and drive to school and work, so I don't need a lot.

As to the problem, it is the 4.2 v6 and unless something happened that I missed it has oil in it. It had an oil change (done by me) 3 days before it went to a intermittent crank but no start. Truck runs and drives fine otherwise.

Here's the history of a developing problem:

-go to leave work and it cranks and cranks but doesn't start. Mom comes to pick me up but I had her bring my spare key just for kicks, well it starts with the spare key. Then I go and retry my original key again and it starts with it as well.

-drive it for a week without fail

-go to leave riding yesterday an it starts but won't run, missing and knocking and sputtering, shut it off after about 10 seconds of that

-restart it and it runs fine and takes me home

I'm dumbfounded by it's problem

I've owned 3 Rangers, all 4X4 ext cab 5 speed manuals with the 2.9, 3.0, and 4.0 V6's.  All got around 17mpg mixed and 18-19 highway.  You can get into the high 20's if you go with a standard cab, manual tranny, and 4 banger.

I put exhausts on a couple, magnaflows on the 3.0 which was way too loud, and a Bassani that dumped in front of the rear passenger wheel on the 4.0 which was pretty sweet.  And I did have cruise control on those trucks.

As for other options, the Tacoma might be the best considered in the class, but they hold their value crazy good so it's hard to find a deal on one.  After driving both I went with an 05 Frontier, which I absolutely love.  It's a Crew cab 4x4 with an automatic, and best I can do on the highway is 19 if I keep it under 75mph.  It can reach the 20's if I stay at 65 but that's really hard for me.  I'm normally around 16.5 mixed driving.  My buddy had an 06 Frontier in 2WD, extended cab, 6 speed manual and he regularly got around 23mpg. He's since switched to a 2012 Frontier with a crew cab, still a 2WD and I think he said he's lost about 1 mile per gallon.

If you do go with a Frontier, stay away from automatic transmissions in the 05 and newer.  They have a serious issue where the engine coolant gets mixed with the transmission fluid.  The manuals are rock solid though.

The problem with the newer Tacoma's (I think from 05 forward) they dropped the towing capacity from 5000lbs to 3500lbs. Where as the Ranger still maintains a 5000lb towing capacity.

Our family has run Mazdas with incredible success with one of them over 500k kms before she finally gave up. My wife has a Ranger and it by far one of my favorite trucks to drive, 4.0l with a manual and bare frigging bones. Lots of power, handles great and gets good mileage (vs my 1 ton diesel). We will gladly buy another when needed...

What's your budget?

Do you need a big truck? Are you looking for a small truck?

I work in the car business and trust me stay away from Ranger. They are not in production anymore so costs of repairs are going to go up.

Also, Ford has been doing much better lately, but in the early 2000's they were not reliable at all.

If I can suggest something for you it would be to fork out for a Tacoma or newer Frontier. You will be able to sell the Tacoma for  good chunk of change down the road, so take that into consideration.

The problem with the newer Tacoma's (I think from 05 forward) they dropped the towing capacity from 5000lbs to 3500lbs. Where as the Ranger still maintains a 5000lb towing capacity.

Our family has run Mazdas with incredible success with one of them over 500k kms before she finally gave up. My wife has a Ranger and it by far one of my favorite trucks to drive, 4.0l with a manual and bare frigging bones. Lots of power, handles great and gets good mileage (vs my 1 ton diesel). We will gladly buy another when needed...

I would love to get an older tacoma, something like a 2003ish v6 4x4, especially since my dad works at a toyota dealership, not only does he know them inside and out, repairs would be cheaper, and IMO, fewer. Problem is I simply can't afford that, a moderate condition one with like 175k+ miles is easily $10k+

I am looking to change into a 4x4 truck, considering I will be moving out to a MUCH more rural area soon, and 4x4 will probably be needed at times. Also looking for something more reliable, I bought my current 2001 f-150 as a "starter truck" for 3.4k, knowing it would be something I wouldn't keep for long, but would be able to haul the dirtbike.

What's your budget?

Do you need a big truck? Are you looking for a small truck?

I work in the car business and trust me stay away from Ranger. They are not in production anymore so costs of repairs are going to go up.

Also, Ford has been doing much better lately, but in the early 2000's they were not reliable at all.

If I can suggest something for you it would be to fork out for a Tacoma or newer Frontier. You will be able to sell the Tacoma for  good chunk of change down the road, so take that into consideration.

I'm just going to throw a number out, and say maybe 8k as a budget, which leaves slim pickings from the Japanese side of the market, I won't be moving to a new truck instantly, as I can't afford it just yet, I'll have to save up money, and probably do a repair on my current truck first.

Do I need a big truck? Not really....but I can get away with it. I don't enjoy driving my dads Tacoma, it feels small and dinky, even though I know it's WAYY more reliable than my truck, just doesn't feel good. There are times where a big truck is nice, on occasion I tow a friends trailer, or will use the bed to haul mulch, and rather than struggle up hills(in the little 4 banger tacoma), I can easily pull them. It's also nice to cruise comfortably with the bike sideways in the bed of my truck and a few friends in the cab in sheer comfort, so in essence, yes I need a bigger truck, but in reality I don't. But I think I'll stay with a bigger truck as MPG isn't that big of a difference/concern.

My dad has worked at a toyota dealership for 25 years now and is a master diagnostic technician and also a Top gun test winner, we can repair pretty much any car we want, it's just we'd rather not have to. 

Can't afford a nice tacoma for the most part, although even though i talk bad about them, I wouldn't mind one, definitely don't want a frontier...just...no. I'm 18, I need a chick magnent :p

Can't afford a nice tacoma for the most part, although even though i talk bad about them, I wouldn't mind one, definitely don't want a frontier...just...no. I'm 18, I need a chick magnent :p

Chicks love the D...iesel

Chicks love the D...iesel

Oh don't doubt for a second that I've considered it, and still am. I just don't know that I can afford to buy or maintain one....

I would love to get an older tacoma, something like a 2003ish v6 4x4, especially since my dad works at a toyota dealership, not only does he know them inside and out, repairs would be cheaper, and IMO, fewer. Problem is I simply can't afford that, a moderate condition one with like 175k+ miles is easily $10k+

I am looking to change into a 4x4 truck, considering I will be moving out to a MUCH more rural area soon, and 4x4 will probably be needed at times. Also looking for something more reliable, I bought my current 2001 f-150 as a "starter truck" for 3.4k, knowing it would be something I wouldn't keep for long, but would be able to haul the dirtbike.

I'm just going to throw a number out, and say maybe 8k as a budget, which leaves slim pickings from the Japanese side of the market, I won't be moving to a new truck instantly, as I can't afford it just yet, I'll have to save up money, and probably do a repair on my current truck first.

Do I need a big truck? Not really....but I can get away with it. I don't enjoy driving my dads Tacoma, it feels small and dinky, even though I know it's WAYY more reliable than my truck, just doesn't feel good. There are times where a big truck is nice, on occasion I tow a friends trailer, or will use the bed to haul mulch, and rather than struggle up hills(in the little 4 banger tacoma), I can easily pull them. It's also nice to cruise comfortably with the bike sideways in the bed of my truck and a few friends in the cab in sheer comfort, so in essence, yes I need a bigger truck, but in reality I don't. But I think I'll stay with a bigger truck as MPG isn't that big of a difference/concern.

My dad has worked at a toyota dealership for 25 years now and is a master diagnostic technician and also a Top gun test winner, we can repair pretty much any car we want, it's just we'd rather not have to. 

If your dad worked at a Toyota dealership for 25 years he should know someone who can get you a deal.. you would think?

Well not sure exactly what your after then, you seem kind of both ways. The v6 Tacoma's are pricy, but they last forever and hold their resale value better than anything else.

I totally relate because I am in the market for a Tacoma. The fact that I can buy it new for ~20k ish and sell it 5 years later for 14-15k is very worth it for me. That's a hell of a return after 5 years of driving it.

When you buy used there is always the possibility of scoring a great truck with a great deal. There is also the possibility of it being a money pit and total headache. If you spend the money to go new, you have a warranty and the piece of mind of what your driving.

Decisions decisions.

Oh don't doubt for a second that I've considered it, and still am. I just don't know that I can afford to buy or maintain one....

Chick's like a guy more when he has a few bucks in the bank instead of pissin it away on a vehicle....

If your dad worked at a Toyota dealership for 25 years he should know someone who can get you a deal.. you would think?

Well not sure exactly what your after then, you seem kind of both ways. The v6 Tacoma's are pricy, but they last forever and hold their resale value better than anything else.

I totally relate because I am in the market for a Tacoma. The fact that I can buy it new for ~20k ish and sell it 5 years later for 14-15k is very worth it for me. That's a hell of a return after 5 years of driving it.

When you buy used there is always the possibility of scoring a great truck with a great deal. There is also the possibility of it being a money pit and total headache. If you spend the money to go new, you have a warranty and the piece of mind of what your driving.

Decisions decisions.

I won't be buying new, I'm 18 and go to school part time and work part time, not enough for a new vehicle. I can get a deal on a truck yes, but the problem is that they make me keep it FOR LIFE. Or else my dad could get fired, stupid rules I know, but we've been through this discussion before.

I am wishy washy as to what I want, but I guess I'm just looking for stuff to stay away from....

I think I would like a full size though.....

Chick's like a guy more when he has a few bucks in the bank instead of pissin it away on a vehicle....

Just a question. As I'm a diesel noob, if I drove say 10k miles a year, would a diesel really run me more? Considering I get 19 highway and 12 city....and drive 80% city, but that will be changing if I move to like 80% highway 20% city...still around 10k miles though....

Our family has two trucks, we have a dodge ram 3500 with a 5.7 hemi in it that we primarily use for towing a camper or a trailer of bikes, and a year ago we got a secondary truck for better gas mileage and for me in a few months when I get my license. What we got was a Mazda b2500 I believe is what model it is. Its a great little truck with the 4cyl and a manual trans in it. So far its has had no problems pulling our 10ft enclosed bike trailer and our 1900lb boat around town. Other than towing our 36ft camper or our 20ft bike trailer we really don't use our dodge 3500 too often (12mpg hurts.) We paid $3100 for the Mazda last year with 61k miles.

The 4 cylinder towing capacity of 05 and newer is 3500 lbs.  A V6 Tacoma is 6500lbs.  So is a Frontier V6.

I have an 07 Ranger regular cab, 4cyl, stick.  I average 26-27mpg in a mix of conditions and it costs about $45 to fill up.  It does exactly what I need.  It isn't fast, but it's decently peppy.  All Rangers are dated compared to some other trucks, but they are reliable and tough.  They're like the xr250 of trucks: nothing fancy, but always there when you need them.

If your dad works at a dealership, can't he get you one of the vehicles off their lot for the wholesale price + tax/title/reg? A guy I work with got his truck that way.