Sign in to follow this  

35 mph speed limit for prerunning?

So can someone clarify why a 35 mph speed limit was imposed for prerunning for the section north of Fish Camp on the 2013 Baja 1000? Roger Norman stated safety concerns were the reason. But what makes it so dangerous in that area??

The locals drive this road at times like they are in the Baja 1000 so watch out! They don't drive as crazy as those in the Punto San Carlos area but watch your ass on these roads.

Also these are their main roads and a bunch of pre runners just tear the shit out of them and it sucks for the locals.

My opinion - 35mph speed limit = don't be an a hole - should apply on the entire course

The locals drive this road at times like they are in the Baja 1000 so watch out! They don't drive as crazy as those in the Punto San Carlos area but watch your ass on these roads.

Also these are their main roads and a bunch of pre runners just tear the shit out of them and it sucks for the locals.

My opinion - 35mph speed limit = don't be an a hole - should apply on the entire course

Thanks PAB.

Like you said it should kinda go without saying. Don't be an a-hole prerunning.

I agree on the 35 MPH Limit

It is Pre Running not Pre Racing.

To Many A Holes tearing it up in the wrong place impressing themselves.

On that section of the course from HWY 1 to Punta Blanco race mile 400 to 425, you might want to check out the rain damage there.  We came through there on Sunday and if it's the same route we took from the beach,  I doubt if you can get anything through there with four wheels without some major excavation.  There is also a couple of Cordon limbs at one point about 16 inches diameter by 30 feet long completely across the road.  I think a truck can get to the Cordon limbs from HWY 1.  It's the section near the beach that has major washouts and huge holes.  The road through the mountains has lots of deep ruts.  There's also a strange shiny new barbed wire fence that runs a hundred feet or so across the road near some ranches.  We had to find our way around it and back onto the road.  On a bike, no problem.