Sign in to follow this  

TTR125 spluttering at high revs

My TTR125 has started spluttering when I get high up in the rev range. It doesn't have a problem with full throttle lower down in the rev range, and is running at low revs and idle fine. Carb/air box/spark plug have all been cleaned recently. Any ideas how to sort this? The revs it is doing this at is dropping the more I use it. The only thing I thought it could be was a spark issue, possibly the CDI is getting old (2005 model) and can't produce enough power to spark often enough at high revs. Fitted a tacho, and used to be able to pull easily past 8000rpm but now struggles to reach 5800rpm.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Josh

Sounds like it might be fuel starvation, clean your fuel filters and fuel lines. Check your float hight. See if that helps

I'd like to revive this.  I'm having the same issue and it's the same year bike.  I can have the throttle at almost full and it pulls fine through the revs, then I pin it and the bike just sputters.  I'm not sure how to tell if it's lean or rich.  The plug looks great.  I think I have to change the main jet but not sure which way to go.  If I can fix it without having to get a new jet that would be great though.

Jets are clean, I've checked several times

Edited by J-moges

I tried everything and couldn't sort it. However, when I rode the other day it seemed to clear itself. It did a huge cough and splutter, and now is much much louder, more powerful and runs great. Much better than it probably ever has. Starting much better, idling better and now can hit 8500rpm easily. I'm not aware of doing anything, so for me I effectively just left it and eventually after giving it a real thrash it cleared. That's all I can say really. Sorry not to be much more help...

I tried everything and couldn't sort it. However, when I rode the other day it seemed to clear itself. It did a huge cough and splutter, and now is much much louder, more powerful and runs great. Much better than it probably ever has. Starting much better, idling better and now can hit 8500rpm easily. I'm not aware of doing anything, so for me I effectively just left it and eventually after giving it a real thrash it cleared. That's all I can say really. Sorry not to be much more help...

lol ok thanks.  I was going to try opening the choke to richen it some when it warms up and I get a chance.  See if he helps or not and maybe change the main jet.  Maybe I'll just have to deal with it and see if it goes away

Empty the gas out of the tank and leave the cap open for a day and then put new gas back in the bike u may have water in your gas that's y I'm suggesting this