is this ok?

So I just got a crf250 and Ive been cleaning it up a whole bunch and I was wondering if it is ok to take the bike for a quick ride after I had cleaned the air filer but do not have after oil to put on it

Its not OK. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Don't risk damaging your bike for one short ride!

If it was up and down the driveway maybe, but for a actual ride no way!

Its not OK. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Don't risk damaging your bike for one short ride!

Yeah. On a sealed surface would most likely be OK but I'd take the above advice.

I'd have to say don't chance it, even more so since it's a 4 stroke.

not worth the risk.

If it was on a black top road, with the filter in place, I wouldn't have any concern for a short ride.  But if you're that desperate to ride, at least soak it in motor oil and squeeze (do not wring or twist) out the excess oil.  With the filter in place, sticks, rocks and pennies aren't going to get past it, it's the fine dust/grit that will wear it out.

P.S. I ran 2 motos on an 09 crf450r before I realized there was no filter in place.  It was a very sandy track, but did no damage.  The moto Gods were smiling on me that day.

WalkingWounded that last part is crazy! Good to know moto Gods were watching over your CRF!

OP I am with the others, keep it safe. If the quick spin is on a reasonably clean/sealed surface, go for it...just don't press the bike. 

Funny story, like WalkingWounded....a friend with a CR250 that got a ground up rebuild a couple weeks ago did something similar where he went on a shortish trail ride with it, in the pouring rain...with 0 break in.....    and 0 air filter.  The bike was cutting out on top end only, but actually came out A-OK after the ride.

WalkingWounded that last part is crazy! Good to know moto Gods were watching over your CRF!

OP I am with the others, keep it safe. If the quick spin is on a reasonably clean/sealed surface, go for it...just don't press the bike. 

Funny story, like WalkingWounded....a friend with a CR250 that got a ground up rebuild a couple weeks ago did something similar where he went on a shortish trail ride with it, in the pouring rain...with 0 break in.....    and 0 air filter.  The bike was cutting out on top end only, but actually came out A-OK after the ride.

I'd rather be lucky than good. lol

So I just got a crf250 and Ive been cleaning it up a whole bunch and I was wondering if it is ok to take the bike for a quick ride after I had cleaned the air filer but do not have after oil to put on it

Buy a spare filter , now you can swap over when you need to .

Buy a spare filter , now you can swap over when you need to .

this is the best thing to do, I have 2-3 filters, that way when I go on extended trips for 2-3 days I can pop on a new filter in the morning. I'm also like the OP when I get the bike all clean and gleaming... I wanna ride her right away :-P

I just swap out my filterskins. I also put oil on them. Works great

If it was on a black top road, with the filter in place, I wouldn't have any concern for a short ride. But if you're that desperate to ride, at least soak it in motor oil and squeeze (do not wring or twist) out the excess oil. With the filter in place, sticks, rocks and pennies aren't going to get past it, it's the fine dust/grit that will wear it out.

P.S. I ran 2 motos on an 09 crf450r before I realized there was no filter in place. It was a very sandy track, but did no damage. The moto Gods were smiling on me that day.

i rebuilt a bike for a guy and when he picked it up I handed him the old filter and told him he needs a new one as that one had 4. Holes and was crumbling away. He threw it in the garbage and said he would pick one up before he even started it. He forgot and ran a back to back moto. Brought the bike back the next week told me to order the filter and a rebuild kit.. He got a small peice of rubber sucked into the head and jammed a valve wich trashed the piston and the crank. He was upset but knew it was his fault..

i rebuilt a bike for a guy and when he picked it up I handed him the old filter and told him he needs a new one as that one had 4. Holes and was crumbling away. He threw it in the garbage and said he would pick one up before he even started it. He forgot and ran a back to back moto. Brought the bike back the next week told me to order the filter and a rebuild kit.. He got a small peice of rubber sucked into the head and jammed a valve wich trashed the piston and the crank. He was upset but knew it was his fault..

Ouch!

o for sure it is. the only reason that air filter is their is to make the goverment happy by reducing the power of your bike, you take that off and runt he motor without it. BOOM! extra 10 HP right their because their is no air restriction.

u better oil that man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get dirt in your motor u be done.... unless its a honda then u be fine lol

Ouch!

yea.. Guy was upset but I don't know how he forgot after just spending a good bit of cash on a rebuild !

yea.. Guy was upset but I don't know how he forgot after just spending a good bit of cash on a rebuild !

Unless he's like me and has had a lot of head trauma.  It really adds to the C.R.S.  lol

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

Unless he's like me and has had a lot of head trauma. It really adds to the C.R.S. lol

lol

It's ok, as long as your airbox is clean, just for a short ride up the street. If your airbox is clean and you're going anywhere but up a paved street, then hell no.