Sign in to follow this  

13 CRF 450 Owners...How's the Bike?

was considering picking up an extra bike. Those with the 13 CRF, any issues, concerns, comments or otherwise?

Thx

I have been considering picking up an extra bike. Those with the 13 CRF, any issues, concerns, comments or otherwise?

Thx

was considering picking up an extra bike. Those with the 13 CRF, any issues, concerns, comments or otherwise?

Thx

My brother just bought a new 2013 CRF450R, and he has rode every single hour with me (and my 09 450R) on the same mx track since he bought it. Also keeps his 13 hangared with my 09. One thing for sure, the 13 CRF450R quits pulling (making power) "falls flat" after 8500 RPM's, so the ECU needs remapping just like all the earlier 09 and up FI 450R's. The suspension seems to be a little better than the earlier models, but still has the stink bug effect in tight corners and needs to be dialed in as with any other new bike setup. I've logged around 40+ hrs on the 13 450R doing mx track riding, and I still like my 09 much better. However, I've done a lot of mod work to my 09, so it's really not a fair fight/comparison to the stock 13 450R.  They basically all need the same mods once you bring it home.. don't be fooled into thinking a new 2013 450R will be any different. They're not. You still have to dump some mod work/money into whatever you bring home to get it right. 

I personally think you can buy a good 09 and up model 450R, do some mod work, ECU remap, MRD pipe, 13:1 piston, Hinson clutch, suspension work, etc., and you will have a great reliable bike that runs and pulls like a freight train.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

JL 

• Like 1

I love mine. The suspension is too soft for me but I weigh about 215 with gear on so a revalve and stiffer rear spring is definitely in order. It's a great bike overall. I really love the ergonomics and while the forks need to be revalved to perform better for my weight, the adjustability is awesome. The motor leaves a little to be desired as far as power goes but the smooth delivery makes the bike easy to ride. Plus, it's a 450 so it's no slouch.

• Like 1

I love mine. The suspension is too soft for me but I weigh about 215 with gear on so a revalve and stiffer rear spring is definitely in order. It's a great bike overall. I really love the ergonomics and while the forks need to be revalved to perform better for my weight, the adjustability is awesome. The motor leaves a little to be desired as far as power goes but the smooth delivery makes the bike easy to ride. Plus, it's a 450 so it's no slouch.

I agree.. if it's a CRF450R, it can't be too bad to start with. 

25 race hours on mine.

Zero reliability issues.

I've left it mainly stock except:

Zeta oversize mounts

Odi grips

Pro taper windhams

Zeta clutch lever/perch

Zeta folding front brake

Zeta anodized billet clutch guide

Hammerhead rear axle blocks

Outlaw high pressure rad cap

Zeta magnetic oil drain plug

Twin air filters

Twin air gas filter sock

Works connection hour meter

Works connection rad braces

G2 1/4 turn throttle

All my mods were things to help fit me, to sustain reliability, and ease of maintenance. Nothing fancy.

If I were to complain, I'd like a pipe for a little more free revving/pull up top, and my suspension done as I am on the bigger side ( 6'4, 225 pounds) and the clutch is terrible, even tho I bought those things to try and help it.

As far as bikes go, it's very enjoyable imo. Hop on it and go for the most part.

*reason for editing is I forgot about the hour meter and rad braces

Edited by kyli3
  • Like 1

i dont own one! but my riding buddy has one....while everyone needs the forks revalve he didnt like the shock! so suspension needs adressing like most bikes!

Seals would be a good upgrade with skf this sunday he had some issue at the track and found out the forks were low in pressure..

Remapping for falling flat as previews post! also an exhaust!

there some issues with cooling at the back cooking the shock!

other than this his impression is that is a great bike! he hasnt been on a CRF since 2004 and claims that he make lines that with none off his other bikes could...and his a very fast and cabable!

Mine is Euro spec. I have opened up the air boot, so it should be same as US. It is remapped, but I have no idea who did it. Also I have Showa forks. Grips chain sprockets also changed out, but everything else is stock.

I don´t like the clutch, I´m soon changing it out from something better. It is the only thing I don´t like. Clutch feel is not very good.

Comparing it to 13 KX450R. Honda has less pull down low, but if we drag race on gravel, my CRF pulls just a bit harder, I don´t feel it going flat or anything weak, And if it pulls away from kx450r, sure can´t call it weak, but I´m also 10kg lighter. Turns a lot better, so on tight track I can go faster. To me weaker pull down low is very good, because I´m not fast rider, and I can ride longer. Kawi is just too responsive down low.

Honda has better fit and finish. You cant even adjust levers on Kawi. And there´s some more things I find poorly engineered.

It is good bike, and if you feel comfortable, then you should buy it. There´s no bike, that you buy and do no modifications. They all have something wrong or can be made better.

Love mine. I put a exhaust on it and got it mapped, plus took out the backfire screen. Just recently added a hotcam stage two. This is how the oem motor should have ran stock! It revs and pulls a lot farther then stock. But still smooth. No problems. Would like the forks revalved. But for now I'm happy

Edited by motoman610
  • Like 1

My brother just bought a new 2013 CRF450R, and he has rode every single hour with me (and my 09 450R) on the same mx track since he bought it. Also keeps his 13 hangared with my 09. One thing for sure, the 13 CRF450R quits pulling (making power) "falls flat" after 8500 RPM's, so the ECU needs remapping just like all the earlier 09 and up FI 450R's. The suspension seems to be a little better than the earlier models, but still has the stink bug effect in tight corners and needs to be dialed in as with any other new bike setup. I've logged around 40+ hrs on the 13 450R doing mx track riding, and I still like my 09 much better. However, I've done a lot of mod work to my 09, so it's really not a fair fight/comparison to the stock 13 450R.  They basically all need the same mods once you bring it home.. don't be fooled into thinking a new 2013 450R will be any different. They're not. You still have to dump some mod work/money into whatever you bring home to get it right. 

I personally think you can buy a good 09 and up model 450R, do some mod work, ECU remap, MRD pipe, 13:1 piston, Hinson clutch, suspension work, etc., and you will have a great reliable bike that runs and pulls like a freight train.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

JL 

Thanks for posting.  Was thinking of pulling the trigger a couple of weeks ago on a left over 13, but decided to do mods on the 10 instead. 

Thanks for posting.  Was thinking of pulling the trigger a couple of weeks ago on a left over 13, but decided to do mods on the 10 instead. 

Nice.

The new 13's are nice, but they still need basically the same mod work as all the 09 and up FI 450R's. Several of my buddies have 2010 450R's which have all been modded and they run/pull great. All of them have had the ECU remap, MRD/Yoshi pipes, and suspension work done. You will save some money with the 2010 450R, and will have a great bike once you do all the mods and get it dialed in to your specific needs. 

Keep us posted on what you decide to buy.

JL

Mine is Euro spec. I have opened up the air boot, so it should be same as US. It is remapped, but I have no idea who did it. Also I have Showa forks. Grips chain sprockets also changed out, but everything else is stock.

I don´t like the clutch, I´m soon changing it out from something better. It is the only thing I don´t like. Clutch feel is not very good.

Comparing it to 13 KX450R. Honda has less pull down low, but if we drag race on gravel, my CRF pulls just a bit harder, I don´t feel it going flat or anything weak, And if it pulls away from kx450r, sure can´t call it weak, but I´m also 10kg lighter. Turns a lot better, so on tight track I can go faster. To me weaker pull down low is very good, because I´m not fast rider, and I can ride longer. Kawi is just too responsive down low.

Honda has better fit and finish. You cant even adjust levers on Kawi. And there´s some more things I find poorly engineered.

It is good bike, and if you feel comfortable, then you should buy it. There´s no bike, that you buy and do no modifications. They all have something wrong or can be made better.

this buddy of mine, changed a plate with thinner one and changed the feel a lot! MXA done something like this, he got it from there i believe!

also Magura sell a bolt on kit and you get a hyd one, for 200 $ can be too bad!

this buddy of mine, changed a plate with thinner one and changed the feel a lot! MXA done something like this, he got it from there i believe!

also Magura sell a bolt on kit and you get a hyd one, for 200 $ can be too bad!

Yes I took the judder spring and the other out, and replaced the first friction plate. The clutch is quite worn, so I have to replace all the parts, so why not to pay a bit more and get something better. I have thought about Magura, I´ll get it if new clutch is too hard.

Some don't like the air forks, and also there have been reports of the front liking to blow through the stroke pretty easy making it dive and washout in corners. All is fixed with some suspension work and most riders really didn't notice to much of a difference from previous years. Also complaints of it not revving out far enough, and no real hit just linear power( some like it, some don't). It just comes down to if you like it. Everybody has their own opinions, try and ride one if you can.

I absolutely loved mine. But just sold it for a 14 yz450f!

The crf did great everywere. I ran 2 MX races with it when it was completely stock and I got 2nd both times in A class with 22. Racers . Not bad. I got suspension tuned for me , the pro circuit dual exhaust, k and n filter, and a few cosmetics. And got 1st for the next race with 24 racers . Then I did a few more mods and actually placed 1st for 7 races in a row. Never placed 3rd on that bike. Always was top 2! Raced 2 seasons with it. Last season I only got 2nd 3. Times. 2 were back to back then 1 was just a bad race.

How can you race 2 full mx seasons on a 2013? Did you have an earlier model?

I made the switch from a KX500 to the 13 CRF450R. (I did keep the KX).

It felt really snappy and yes the forks were harsh. However I have changed out the shock spring, opened the damping at both ends to 15c / 11r, and am running the air forks at 36psi. I have the rear sag set to 105mm.

Being a desert racer years ago, I switched the gearing to 14-48 from 13-48. This made a Huge difference in long whoop sections. The fork stays high in the stroke, the shock is smooth and tracks straight, the RPM level is perfect, and engine braking is reduced some. In other words, it Rolls...

The engineering on this bike is beautiful. It's a pleasure to wrench on.

I am loving it!!

How can you race 2 full mx seasons on a 2013? Did you have an earlier model?

I got it in mid season then raced all season this year then sold it. I didn't mean two full seasons.

Do you like the YZ better?

that's a tough question.. My stock yz feels the same as my fully modded crf. So for a bike out of the box the yz is a hard bike to beat for the track.. The crf was awesome and I honestly would love to have another. On trails the crf kills the yz. The yz is a track bike.. But I liked them both. On track the yz takes it, on trails crf. And the crf was great on track also as the yz is fair on the trails.. So I'd say the crf was a better all around bike..