Sign in to follow this  

Running hot and popping after MRD, 3x3, Air filter, and jets. Please help!

Hey guys,

I have a foam filter, MRD SSW, just cut the 3x3 hole, and installed a 160 main and 25 pilot. After warming up the bike feels like its going to burn up and is back firing on decel. I just had these jets but do not have a needle with the position adjustments. Do you think that is my issue? Any suggestions help thanks!

Sounds like youre lean. (Popping assuming its excessive.) What altitude? You really need the needle. I wouldnt half a§§ stuff in the future. Could be negative consequences.

Edited by J.Ackel

I'm at sea level in Southern California. When I bought the exhaust the jets were recommended by Dave at MRD who works with Eddie So I figured he would have told me about the needle. After seeing all the setups it seems like that's what's missing. Of course I'm going to try the jets if I just have them already instead of buying a 70$ kit for the needle. Any other way to find an adjustable needle? Also would you recommend not riding to work 20 miles round trip? Seems damn hot to me now and I don't want to burn up my new drz. Thanks

What do you mean feels like it's going to burn up? The MRD is an open pipe, you're going to get popping on decel. Excessive popping is a sign of a lean condition. You can also shim the needle if need be.

Thanks man. Well I've been riding the bike for a few months with the exhaust and it produces a normal amount of heat compared to my other bikes. After running it with the choke for a minute the bike is excessively hot to the point where I feel like the graphics and plastics will deform if I ride hard. I haven't felt this much heat off any bike before so I just want to be cautious with this new bike. I think ill try to go up on the pilot a few sizes. Do you know how much I would shim up the needle? 1-2mm?

Hey guys,

I have a foam filter, MRD SSW, just cut the 3x3 hole, and installed a 160 main and 25 pilot. After warming up the bike feels like its going to burn up and is back firing on decel. I just had these jets but do not have a needle with the position adjustments. Do you think that is my issue? Any suggestions help thanks!

You need a jet kit needle ..The stock needle will be way too lean.( I suggest a JD jet kit)..don't get Dynojet stage 1

or

do yourself a favour and put the money you would have spent on the jet kit towards an Keihin 39Fcrmx conversion kit..

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Thanks. That will be my next upgrade just didn't want to buy the whole jet kit for the needle. Going to drill out the fuel screw plug and mess around with that or throw a larger pilot

Thanks. That will be my next upgrade just didn't want to buy the whole jet kit for the needle. Going to drill out the fuel screw plug and mess around with that or throw a larger pilot

Unfortunately what you are planning won't correct mid throttle running...

As you probably know , one can't buy the jet kit needle separately, the jet kit companies kinda "have you by the balls" here.... 

You could try using a spacer to lift the stock needle, but you still won't be able to achieve a correct furl curve

some guys have done this , but I don't recommended it if your looking for optimum performance

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Reason why it feels hotter other than being lean is you have a larger surface area with the MRD that's bare metal. Plus bikes aren't designed to sit at idle with the choke on, air flow will cool everything off.

Thanks for the tip man just seems reasonably hotter than I've felt sitting in the garage and after I go for a lap. Messed around with the needle shim and fuel screw, helped a little but still pops a lot. Bike runs pretty damn well though. FCR is probably coming soon but ride to work or not is the question haven't deal with a lean bike very much.

Thanks for the tip man just seems reasonably hotter than I've felt sitting in the garage and after I go for a lap. Messed around with the needle shim and fuel screw, helped a little but still pops a lot. Bike runs pretty damn well though. FCR is probably coming soon but ride to work or not is the question haven't deal with a lean bike very much.

It has to run very lean to cause any damage on a 4 stoke engine.....

If you have bad surging or high rpm misfire , I wouldn't run it...

you are mostly on the needle circuit for average riding, I would partly cover your 3x3 and/or run an insert in the pipe until you either get the jet kit needle or fit and Fcr..if you do this use a smaller main jet, maybe a 150 ~155