Sign in to follow this  

Clutch issues please help!

Hey guys some background 2012 drz400s (SM Converted) with 500 miles on it. changed the oil 100 miles ago. and it hasnt been started in two weeks... Bike moves freely in neutral

So first i noticed my clutch was not completely engaging when i pull in the lever. So i tried adjusting both adjustments up on the cable near the lever. Nothing changed when i adjust to the extreme both ways. the bike with the clutch pulled in still wouldnt roll freely. Went down to the other end of the cable where it connects to the clamp that is on the rod going down into the motor. i took that off and re set it and still nothing. Thought maybe it is because it is just cold so i started it let the engine warm up to about 140 degrees. then went to shift into first and made a weird sound so shut it off right away. 

Tried rolling it with clutch in 1st and same as before lots of friction... 

I start it in neutral and try again and the bike goes into gear and doesnt move at all. still running rev it up a tiny bit and bike doesnt move... I try this in second and third gear and same doesnt move at all and does stall out.... 

Please let me know if theres anything more i can try... i just dont undersand how it did this when it worked fine the last time i rode it and on a brand new bike...

Thanks guys

Hey guys some background 2012 drz400s (SM Converted) with 500 miles on it. changed the oil 100 miles ago. and it hasnt been started in two weeks... Bike moves freely in neutral

So first i noticed my clutch was not completely engaging when i pull in the lever. So i tried adjusting both adjustments up on the cable near the lever. Nothing changed when i adjust to the extreme both ways. the bike with the clutch pulled in still wouldnt roll freely. Went down to the other end of the cable where it connects to the clamp that is on the rod going down into the motor. i took that off and re set it and still nothing. Thought maybe it is because it is just cold so i started it let the engine warm up to about 140 degrees. then went to shift into first and made a weird sound so shut it off right away. 

Tried rolling it with clutch in 1st and same as before lots of friction... 

I start it in neutral and try again and the bike goes into gear and doesnt move at all. still running rev it up a tiny bit and bike doesnt move... I try this in second and third gear and same doesnt move at all and does stall out.... 

Please let me know if theres anything more i can try... i just dont undersand how it did this when it worked fine the last time i rode it and on a brand new bike...

Thanks guys

clutch engaged = lever released

clutch disengaged = lever pulled

ok, if the bike is COLD, it will be very difficult to push in 1st gear, or 3rd, or 5th, or whatever. it's a wet clutch, it's got friction cold or hot, but lots more COLD. 

if the bike is HOT, it will still have a lot of friction while in gear. wet clutches do that. 

what you need to do is diconnect the cable at the engine, pull all the slack out of the clutch rod, then attach the cable, and adjust at the lever. it MUST have freeplay at the lever or it will wear the clutch out prematurely. 

Yup, your bike is fine. Get that cable adjusted and go abuse the piss out of it. You can pretty much count on your DRZ never breaking until you crash.

Thats exactly what i thought but what doesnt make sense is when i shift into first and release the lever so its out the bike doesnt move and when i give it throttle it doesnt go or do anything... however i just put it on a stand and the tire rolls like normal when its in gear and stops when i pull the clutch in. and i know im not that much of a fat ass im only 145.... haha

Update: Dont know what changed between this morning and now but i did the same thing and what u guys suggested and it worked this time. it has been unusually cold in the mornings but thanks a bunch guys...