Sign in to follow this  

Joining the dr-z 400 club soon, what to look out for?

Finally getting back into the riding game, and I am going for a dual sport, since I have never owned one. So what do I need to watch out for, which is the best year for dual sport riding. Is there certain years that are better than others? Looks like it will be 50/50 on and off road riding. I live in central KY so mostly fairly steep rutted out hills off road, creeks, roots, rocks, things like that. 

I am 41 years old, 5'11" 210 pds intermediate rider. Not looking to jump or race just have some fun in the hills. 

Not buying a new bike, it will be a CL baby all the way, there are tons of them around the area so finding one should not be a problem. I have no problems turning wrenches to add things or fix things. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Finally getting back into the riding game, and I am going for a dual sport, since I have never owned one. So what do I need to watch out for, which is the best year for dual sport riding. Is there certain years that are better than others? Looks like it will be 50/50 on and off road riding. I live in central KY so mostly fairly steep rutted out hills off road, creeks, roots, rocks, things like that. 

I am 41 years old, 5'11" 210 pds intermediate rider. Not looking to jump or race just have some fun in the hills. 

Not buying a new bike, it will be a CL baby all the way, there are tons of them around the area so finding one should not be a problem. I have no problems turning wrenches to add things or fix things. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Welcome... Sounds like a "S" model will suit your needs just fine.  Check out the DRZ400 FAQ section and read through the loctite fixes and other little things that are just good to know about these bikes.  

IMO, stock the DRZ is a bit of a pig, luckily there are PLENTY of things that can help.  However, modifications are like a drug with these bikes, so be careful, or prepared, whatever works best...   Since you are buying used, us need to be careful and look at the way the bike has been taken care of.  If they are properly serviced, they will run and run... Just use the search function and do some homework before buying.  

You will also learn quickly that photos are a MUST... nothing is real until we get the photos :thumbsup:   ( This seems to be a pretty legitimate "rule" here on the DRZ forum, if I did not mention it, someone certainly will... )

Good luck with the bike search.

I am close to your weight and was worried about getting a DRZ as everyone said the bike is a pig.

I did a bunch of mods but my motor and fueling are stock and I still have a blast on the bike. It puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

You will want to get the bike sprung to your weight being over 200 pounds.

Ask about maintenance intervals and look at the cases for damage as they will show signs of going down. Also look at the bolts and see if they are stripped out, stripping them is common.

Don t be afraid to get in there and look around for leaks and Jerry rigged stuff, also have them cold start it for you and listen to the motor.

I am close to your weight and was worried about getting a DRZ as everyone said the bike is a pig.

I did a bunch of mods but my motor and fueling are stock and I still have a blast on the bike. It puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

You will want to get the bike sprung to your weight being over 200 pounds.

Ask about maintenance intervals and look at the cases for damage as they will show signs of going down. Also look at the bolts and see if they are stripped out, stripping them is common.

Don t be afraid to get in there and look around for leaks and Jerry rigged stuff, also have them cold start it for you and listen to the motor.

Bolts stripped? Just bolts in general or any where specific? The cold start I thought of but the bolts is a good idea. Thanks

Welcome... Sounds like a "S" model will suit your needs just fine.  Check out the DRZ400 FAQ section and read through the loctite fixes and other little things that are just good to know about these bikes.  

IMO, stock the DRZ is a bit of a pig, luckily there are PLENTY of things that can help.  However, modifications are like a drug with these bikes, so be careful, or prepared, whatever works best...   Since you are buying used, us need to be careful and look at the way the bike has been taken care of.  If they are properly serviced, they will run and run... Just use the search function and do some homework before buying.  

You will also learn quickly that photos are a MUST... nothing is real until we get the photos :thumbsup:   ( This seems to be a pretty legitimate "rule" here on the DRZ forum, if I did not mention it, someone certainly will... )

Good luck with the bike search.

I got you pics or it didn't happen! Might be a while before those get here, but they are coming eventually.