Sign in to follow this  

need help choosing a bike

hi guys im new here and you probably get a lot of this but i need to know what bike to get because im stuck, ive been looking at a 2003 yamaha yz250f great condition new rebuilt 2 hours on it has proof 2002 yamaha yz250 great condition and a 2005 honda crf450 recent rebuild etc..., my question is which will be the best for me im tall in good shape i weigh close to 170 and gaining, i like a bike with a lot of power more then i need because ive always ridden quads with a lot of power so im used to it, thats why im considering a 450, also i will be doing some local racing at the track, maintance is not a problem and when it comes to rebuilt i just send it to my mechanic and have him do it so thats not a problem, i like the 450s and i think i can handle the power and i know a lot of people who have started out on 450s and had no problems, does anybody think otherwise, the 250f is 1600 the yz250 is 1600 and the 450 and is 1600 so there all the same but i will also look at some kx450s and yz450fs, so any input would be great, thxs guys and have a good day.

First off, i just want to start by saying a 450 bike is a huge difference to a 450 quad.  What type of quad did you ride before?  that would really make a difference in helping you answer the question, if you where on something like a warrior.. stay away from the 450 bike.  But if you where already on a 450 you will probably be fine and grow into.

You say you are going to track ride? well if you have track raced a bike before and have experience i'd go with a 450, if you have no racing experience racing on a bike then go with the 250f.   They don't have arm wrenching torque in the bottom end but boy do they light up in the top Rpm's, and you can get good on it, and learn then bump up to a 450 in a year or 2.  as far as your hight / weight, the 450 is only around 20 - 30 pounds heavier than the 250 and is barely an inch taller so you would fit both of them pretty comfortably 

NOW it's time for my personal opinion on the bikes them selves.  Stay away from any Honda under 2006.   There engines where very restricted in that time period. and in 06 the 450 quad and bike had a massive improvement overhaul. If you are going with a 450 i'd go with an Rmz or a Yz450f.  If you are dead set on those bikes and you can handle a ton of power and have experience racing bikes, get the 2 stroke, if your not sure, just get the 250f and grow into then bump up when you are ready. Trust me they are both very fun bikes to play and ride competitive.   (the yz250 and yz250f)      I have never raced pro but my friend has a track on his property and i rode it all the time with him, when i had my trx450r. 

Really in the long run though just try to get out and ride those bikes to see what you like the best!   

Edited by Gir

the rode a yamaha yfz450 for a little while it was my friends bike, and the 250f basically got an overhaul, i really like the 4 strokes for big reason all the winnders of ama racers are always on 4 strokes, they just seem to dominate the races, also how would a 03 yz250f do in races i plan on getting factory connection suspension for my weight and the other things to get the bike race ready but whats your opinion on it, and i will look into the yz450f, thxs for the replies. 

i found a 03 yz450f for sale good price and recent rebuild with 35 hours on it which is good i think because they run for like 100 to 120 hours, and there is also a 05 honda crf250r but i hear they have reliability issue 

would i be able to handle it tho i plan on doing racers im in good shape and i run everyday etc... but i dont want a bike that will control me and not the other way around even tho i doubt that will be the case, i just like a bike with a lot of power so if you think i will be ok i will go look at a yz450f or rmz450 since you recommended those bikes, and i thought the yamaha 250f were great bikes even the older ones

hey guys after doing some research i decided to go against the 450 my two options are the 250 2 stroke, which im starting to like a lot now do to low maintenance, no valves to check 50 percent less moving parts etc... and the 250f which i still really like and now im stumped, can someone tell me the pros and cons of each bike, and is it true the 250 2 stroke can race against the 250f and 125cc 2 class class because thats what everyone said? 

pretty much when it comes to any motocross 4 stroke, 06+ are the good years, not saying the under 2006's are bad, but they just aren't even close to being as good.  2 strokes where mainly used for motocross so when 4 stroke race bikes first hit the floors around 2002 they had less then desirable reliability and power compared to the newer ones.  If u rode a yfz450 and u have no experience track racing a bike i would not go for a 450. they will just be to much to learn on, a 250f is just as powerful as a 450 quad, but you will be gaining experience on a bike.      If u can sqeeze the extra cash try going for a 2006+  250f.     Yz or Rmz,  if you cannot squeeze the extra money try getting an earlier 2000's yz125 or cr125.  

Thats just my opinion, and about what i was saying about the under 06 being horrible compared to the newer 450's   i used to have a 2005 trx450r  (worst damn year for them by the way)  and i had a full pipe, fully jetted, with a stage 2 hot cam, brand new tires, oversized jets, uni air filter, & you know? the works. my friend bought a 2012 yfz450r.  completely stock, he was neck & neck with me, later that summer he bought a GYTR fmf full pipe and got it jetted.  EASILY kills my quad off the line and in the long run.     4 strokes are dominating the race tracks now a days but the older ones just aren't up to spec.   

Go out and ride a 2002 yz250f then get on a 2009 yz250f and you won't believe the difference in power/ throttle response in the same exact bike just because of the years. Like i said man if you can't spend the extra cash to get something newer stick with a 2 stroke.  

• Like 1

I could squeeze the extra cash if the 06+ yz250fs were really that much better and how about the 05 cr250r good or bad? And I'm looking at a 03 yz250 too I thing I really like about the 2 strokes is the maintenance and the face that I can race against 125 and 250fs do to AMA rule changes the cons are the noise the 2 strokes make they seem to annoy people a lot more then a 4 banger

Thats just my opinion, and about what i was saying about the under 06 being horrible compared to the newer 450's   i used to have a 2005 trx450r  (worst damn year for them by the way)  and i had a full pipe, fully jetted, with a stage 2 hot cam, brand new tires, oversized jets, uni air filter, & you know? the works. my friend bought a 2012 yfz450r.  completely stock, he was neck & neck with me, later that summer he bought a GYTR fmf full pipe and got it jetted.  EASILY kills my quad off the line and in the long run.     4 strokes are dominating the race tracks now a days but the older ones just aren't up to spec.   

Go out and ride a 2002 yz250f then get on a 2009 yz250f and you won't believe the difference in power/ throttle response in the same exact bike just because of the years. Like i said man if you can't spend the extra cash to get something newer stick with a 2 stroke.  

^^^^^

Very True

I had a 2007 CRF250r and it was a great stock bike, at the time my buddy had a piped 2004 KX250f. When comparing the two 250fs on the track and on the trail/hillclimbing the 04 KX250f felt very "sewing machiney" like a toggle switch throttle is the best way to put it. The power was flat and nothing too exciting compared to the newer Honda.

That would have been the same for any bike brand, Back in 02-06 the 250f revolution was still on its climb upward and the big four (YamaHondKawaSuki) were still figuring things out and get their shit dialed. Seems like in 07/08 the 250f motocrossers made huge step forward and seem more refined in every way.

I was in a similar predicament last year when I was finished college and looking for a bike (sold my crf250 for school), I was tight on cash so opted for a 250 two stroke and couldn't be happier, great power everywhere, lots of torque down low and light in the air. Plus the whole maintenance thing is a breeze compared to my Honda ( 2 oils n filter).

In my opinion and from buddies having them/letting me ride them: the Honda Cr250 was top dog in 1998-2001 but Honda seemed to give up on their Two-Strokes after that to focus on their 4s. 03s and up seemed to have barely satifactoy motors and vibrated a lot.

The Yamis are reliableicon1.png and keep their value (probably why it's only them and KTM left in the 2-Stroke world) but might be out of your Price range. The older KX250's (1997-2003) had strong motors but I think the trannys/gearing was funky.

Hope this helped!

If you have completely ruled out 450s and want a powerful bike then go with a 250 two stroke. They are way more powerful then a 250f and on an amateur level you are allowed to race them against 250f. I have seen good riders win races in 250 A and B on a 250t and finish top 5 in open class on he same bike.

This is just my opinion from experience, if it's a Honda 4 stroke, don't buy it if it's anything under a 2006.  Yamaha i'm not to sure about, i know the 04 - 05 yz450f's weren't the best but like i said my personal experience is on a Honda for sure, and the end result of that is... i now ride Yamaha & Kawasaki lol

Alright thxs guys I kinda ruled out the 4 strikes anyways I'm looking at 125 and 250 2 strokes re hear 125 will teach you proper ridding skills

I always rode 250 smokers, got my first 125 at 38 years old and loving it.  It's a workout compared to 250/450F and 250 smokers.  I rode a bunch of 450's and have to disagree with the comments that they are "arm ripping" powerful.  Yes, they are fast holding it WFO.  But they are a ton more tame than a 250 smoker as far as throttle control goes.  You get a little ham fisted and not wind up on your ass.  

If you can ride a 125 fast, you will ride a 4 stroke fast with less effort.  However, someone who only rides 4 strokes can not usually ride a 125 fast.  It was a learning curve even going from a 250 to 125.

Your size, I would suggest a YZ or RM 125 04 and newer.  The KX (my bike) has a little small chassis feel which might be a turn off for a tall person, but it rips.  The CR's are underpowered. The RM's have good power and sweet chassis/suspension.  YZ's on par with the RM but feel a little out dated as far as cockpit feel.  A little chunky which might be good for a taller person. I will tell you though that it's hard finding a 125 in decent shape and you usually deal with kids selling crap on Craigslist.  

IMO, 250 smokers just find the one in the best shape for your budget.  You can't go wrong with any of the Big 4.