Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 250 vs 300

I have a 99' ktm 250 exc, great bike with plenty of power. I have thought about selling it and maybe upgrading to a newer 250 or 300 exc/xcw. the question is which one is better, 300 vs 250, as I have never ridden the 300. I have heard from people that the 250 is a little snappier and rev a little quicker, but the 300s are more torquey. I ride trails, some that are rough and rocky and others that are faster and more smooth, which bike would suit this better? Which bike is faster (more top end power), ect.? Thanks.

• Like 1

The 250 is more of an aggressive rider kind of bike, it revs quicker, has slightly less torque. The 300 can pretty much be tuned how you want. It can be a tractor, or an arm ripping top end monster.

To be completely honest, either bike would suit you well and you will happy with either.

• Like 1

In short if you like to rev it then get the 250, if you like to ride a gear high then go with the 300.

One thing though, if you ride really technical or slippery trails the 300 may be a better choice because riding a gear high makes it easier to control wheel spin with the clutch & throttle.  Top end power is about the same, it's just that the 300 has way more bottom end.

• Like 1

250 feels lighter and has less vibration. Modern 250 has tons of power and spools up quick but can still grunt. Plus there is less demand so they usually run about $1000 less. But as mentioned above, both great bikes and can't go wrong either way.

Real men ride 250s.

real old men ride 300's, except I am not that old but I am real

I'm real and my 300 collects dust while my 200 gets to ride. I'm a old crappy rider so i like a nimble bike.

real old men ride 300's, except I am not that old but I am real

Real old men ride 200's, except that I am not that old (56)

but besides my 200, my other dirt bikes are open class.;-)

. . . but at least You are real!

to answer the OP, I would choose a 300 after test riding back-to-back with a 250.

Can't go wrong with either. You can ride agressively with a 300....you just won't sound as fast

I have ridden both, I perfer the 300 from the short time I spent on both. I think its because I was coming off a 450 4-stroke and the torque is what I like about the 300. I agree, you cant go wrong with either.....

I'm turning 56 in a month. I kicked this back and forth for some time. In a few years I'll be knocking on 60. I decided on the 250. And I can tune it down with the green spring when I'm ready for Soc. Sec. Taking it out this weekend for its first trip. Its a 2012 with 3.5 hours on it. Currently I'm riding a 2001 cr250.

The 250 is more of an aggressive rider kind of bike, it revs quicker, has slightly less torque. The 300 can pretty much be tuned how you want. It can be a tractor, or an arm ripping top end monster.

To be completely honest, either bike would suit you well and you will happy with either.

I ride a KTM 300, but if I could do it over again I would buy the 250 XC.  The 250 is more aggressive, it's snappier than the 300.  Not a single AA pro rider in my enduro racing circuit rides the 300 because it's simply not as competitive. 

Cross country is different because of the higher speeds, necessitating the bigger motor.  You'll find more 300s there.  I love nasty, technical rocky riding, tough hillclimbs, all that stuff.  The 300 is great for torquing your way up difficult climbs, but the 250 can be just as good with practice and bike setup.