Hey, im 15, 6ft and 140lbs. I bought a Honda CRF230f as a first bike to get into riding but I've found that i've outgrown it decently fast. I would say i'm a moderate rider, all trails but would take the new bike on a track occasionally, and the 230s just not really doing it for me. I'd like to get into Hare scrambles and I'm paying for myself so costs affect me pretty well. So it comes down to 250 4T, 125 2T, or 250 2T. Any thoughts? I tagged the bikes i am mostly looking at but open to anything.

Thanks

Edited by TrailRider24

Ktm200

i think you should try a 2502t itll give you a whole other experience and they are really good on the track, suzuki and honda make really good ones. and they are usually cheaper than 4ts

i think you should try a 2502t itll give you a whole other experience and they are really good on the track, suzuki and honda make really good ones. and they are usually cheaper than 4ts

I disagree. A crf230 is slower then a 80 or 85 2t there for the 250 2t is gonna be a whole new weapon. I've had 125s that are killer bikes, they are perfect. A 125 can be made into a weapon in the woods with a FFW and maybe a different clutch. They are also great on the MX track. As a ktm200. Would be killer on trails it's not gonna be good on the MX track unless the suspensions set up exactly for your weight. If cost is a problem I would not go for any 4t MX bike. I'd go 125, possibly 250 2t if you'd be able to find a nice one with a FFW and a rekluse clutch, possibly a fmf gnarly pipe. Or buy one cheap and do those mods. I'd go for a yamaha 250 or a yamaha or Suzuki 125. I've had experience and have owned and worked on all and the yamaha makes solid bikes( I have a Honda cr250 now I'm selling for a YZ). And for 125s the yamahas are the best if you get 06 or newer, other years(older) suzui is better stock butbifbubsetbup the suspension on the yamaha it'll rip up that Suzuki.

I disagree. A crf230 is slower then a 80 or 85 2t there for the 250 2t is gonna be a whole new weapon. I've had 125s that are killer bikes, they are perfect. A 125 can be made into a weapon in the woods with a FFW and maybe a different clutch. They are also great on the MX track. As a ktm200. Would be killer on trails it's not gonna be good on the MX track unless the suspensions set up exactly for your weight. If cost is a problem I would not go for any 4t MX bike. I'd go 125, possibly 250 2t if you'd be able to find a nice one with a FFW and a rekluse clutch, possibly a fmf gnarly pipe. Or buy one cheap and do those mods. I'd go for a yamaha 250 or a yamaha or Suzuki 125. I've had experience and have owned and worked on all and the yamaha makes solid bikes( I have a Honda cr250 now I'm selling for a YZ). And for 125s the yamahas are the best if you get 06 or newer, other years(older) suzui is better stock butbifbubsetbup the suspension on the yamaha it'll rip up that Suzuki.

think of it this way if you get a 250 2t and learn on it, you will never have to upgrade again unless you want a 450 and hondas rep is alot better than yami and i would trust them much more

think of it this way if you get a 250 2t and learn on it, you will never have to upgrade again unless you want a 450 and hondas rep is alot better than yami and i would trust them much more

HA! A 125 2t will teach anybody much more about riding then learning on a 250 2t. And you do realize I own my own repair shop and get lots of bikes and quads and wat not in here threw a week and I can garuntee that yamaha is a solid bike, however I own Hondas and dig them, there solid as all get out but yamahas are great bikes..

Hey, im 15, 6ft and 140lbs. I bought a Honda CRF230f as a first bike to get into riding but I've found that i've outgrown it decently fast. I would say i'm a moderate rider, all trails but would take the new bike on a track occasionally, and the 230s just not really doing it for me. I'd like to get into Hare scrambles and I'm paying for myself so costs affect me pretty well. So it comes down to 250 4T, 125 2T, or 250 2T. Any thoughts? I tagged the bikes i am mostly looking at but open to anything.

Thanks

I just sold my 230 a couple months ago and now I have a cr125 and I love it! It's got plenty of power and is so much fun, if I were u it would go for a nice 125 because I think a 250 would be too big a jump from the crf. The 125 would be a nicer step up. Also most people I talk to say u should not get a 250 2stroke until you have complete control over a 125

I just sold my 230 a couple months ago and now I have a cr125 and I love it! It's got plenty of power and is so much fun, if I were u it would go for a nice 125 because I think a 250 would be too big a jump from the crf. The 125 would be a nicer step up. Also most people I talk to say u should not get a 250 2stroke until you have complete control over a 125

I agree

If you really want to learn how to ride a dirt bike you need to get a 125.

Don't let anyone tell you different.

Like any respectable rider..... Learn to make a 125 sing and you are in business for a lifetime if riding.

Thanks for all the input, after talking to some friends, who race HS, they also said dont get a 250 2t, as for the ktm200 the price is what kills me, and as far as 125s go I'm not a MXer and most forums go with the "two strokes belong on the track unless there built for trails" so far a yz125 and a KDX200 are the top options, I'm more leaning towards the KDX because of affordability reasons and they are built for trails. On the yz I'm a little confused some forums say if you get a 125 2t for trails get an older one, some say get a newer one. Any thoughts on the bikes and clarification on the 2ts.

Thanks thumper talk, keep the reply's coming

The 06 yz125 is hands down superior.....yes even on trails...light snappy but the best part is that the suspension on it is to this day one if the best setups ever put on a bike. It is that good. It will make kdx susp feel like a big fart.

Please do the research. I will be buying a bike for woods in the spring. I own a Rmz450 for moto... Yz 125 no brainer:rolleyes:

The 06 yz125 is hands down superior.....yes even on trails...light snappy but the best part is that the suspension on it is to this day one if the best setups ever put on a bike. It is that good. It will make kdx susp feel like a big fart.

Please do the research. I will be buying a bike for woods in the spring. I own a Rmz450 for moto... Yz 125 no brainer:rolleyes:

That seems to be what most people say but I'm worried about the hill climbs, like the longer kind , that the yz isnt a trail bike? Anything to make it a woods weapon. About how much does that cost? The kdx won't require any and they are much cheaper. And paying for it myself I'm on a low budget.

Thanks thumper talk

That seems to be what most people say but I'm worried about the hill climbs, like the longer kind , that the yz isnt a trail bike? Anything to make it a woods weapon. About how much does that cost? The kdx won't require any and they are much cheaper. And paying for it myself I'm on a low budget.

Thanks thumper talk

Thanks thumper talk

Well sorry about that messed up post

Kdx for low cost fun.

For woods IMO:

250 4t=no.

125 2t= Rm, KX, YZ, Cr, and KTM SX 125, all are fine for woods IF YOU CAN RIDE IT RIGHT.

250 2t= YZ, CR, RM and KTM....I like the KTM and the YZ the best ( personally own a YZ), but all are good, except the KX, I don't like it, just simply dont.

I find a 250 2t with the right modifications to be the easiest woods bike to ride at a fast pace. To cruise calmly, get a 4t, but if you're looking into harescrambles, you're not cruising.....

Well guys I have another question, after my dad wanted to go to the dealership, he was drawn to the WR, a left over12. Probably because it was the only trail bike they had, but both of us liked it. Any thoughts on these bikes for me or him? He's never ridden before, only my 230 down the street a few times and he's 6'3 ish

Buy a YZ125 for yourself and give your dad the the CRF230 until he realizes his 2nd bike should be a 250 2 stroke. The YZ125 only weighs 195 lbs as opposed to the WR250F at close to 240 lbs and the CRF230 is at least 260lbs.

My old YZ125 was the best woods/mx combo I ever owned and I weigh a lot more than you. If you weigh less than 170lbs the 250 2 strokes are just dead weight as you will never run out of power on the 125. If you need to climb hills slower change the rear sprocket to a 52T.

The YZ's got plush fork valving in 08+ the older ones back to 2001 or so were great for mx but not as plush unless they were re-valved at some point.The CR125 is also good on the mx track, slightly less in the woods.

Well the WR would probably just be my dads, so he can cruise around and still have some power. But I might ride it in the last weeks of the season. Then say goodbye to the 230