Sign in to follow this  

I would like some advice on re-gearing my 02 CRF450R Supermoto

I have an 02 CRF450R that is motorarded out but still has the stock 13t front & 50t rear sprockets on it. Its just too much for the street and i would like to re-gear it. Currently it will power wheelie 1st though 3rd gear but then i feel like im winding the heck out of the engine keeping up with traffic at 40-50mph. Ive been playing around with a gearing calculator trying to find which combination of gears i want to run but i was hoping for some experienced opinions before i buy a set. I would like some more top end speed without completely sacrificing my low end power wheelie grunt in 1st gear. Ive seen rear sprockets as small as 38 teeth and front sprockets as tall as 15 teeth. Im unsure if such a combination would even get me close to where i want to be without causing any issues or not.

After playing around with the gearing calculator a bit i feel i would at least like to be able to run 50mph around 5000rpm (figure thats about half the rpm range and should not strain the engine). Which would mean i would have to run a 13t front & 38t rear,  14t front & 41t rear, or 15t front & 43t rear. I usually ride around town with some hooliganess from time to time. 

Anyone with a sumo 450R have any suggestions or experience with such combinations? If so what combinations are you running and what kind of ridding are you doing, at what speeds?

Thanks in advance for any input. 

Edited by sumosquid

A fully ported out '02 will pull 15/46 in the sand and reach 119 mph with a 150lb rider.

On the street, and stock '02 should do about the same.

First gear starts at 16 mph.

I would think 15/43 would not allow you to pull 5th gear with the stock motor.

A fully ported out '02 will pull 15/46 in the sand and reach 119 mph with a 150lb rider. On the street, and stock '02 should do about the same. First gear starts at 16 mph. I would think 15/43 would not allow you to pull 5th gear with the stock motor.
I'm on 17in warp 9 wheels as well so that in effect gears it up(more tq less top speed) some from the stock 19in wheels.

1381112449856.jpg

Edited by sumosquid

Any other supermoto riders have any input on what sprocket setup works well for the street??

Ill go look at the sprocket sizes on my tc610 that thing was geared perfect for the street but it also has a wider ratio transmission too. Ill post back shortly

• Like 1

I ended up ordering a 15t front and a 48t rear sprocket for my CRF. I've discovered that the teeth on the 15t front sprocket hit the plastic on the frame where the swing arm bolts. Also you can't run a case saver. You guys running 15t sprockets run into similar issues? If so any solutions?

Edited by sumosquid

Picture of my new rear sprocket and chain. Currently I've got the OE 13t front sprocket on until I figure out what I'm going to do with the 15t sprocket.

1384968370738.jpg