Sign in to follow this  

Putting a 98 cr250 motor in an 01 cr250 frame

Well guys I've been reading threads on here for a long time and recently decided to be part of the discussions. Actually this is my first post. Anyway, I picked up an 01 cr250r roller. It's got everything but the motor. Even has carb, radiator, and full exhaust. I found a 98 cr250 motor for cheap. Comes with carb, rad, and pipe. Any advice or help would be appreciated such as which carb to use, any mods I need to do would be appreciated. I'll post pics soon.

Well guys I've been reading threads on here for a long time and recently decided to be part of the discussions. Actually this is my first post. Anyway, I picked up an 01 cr250r roller. It's got everything but the motor. Even has carb, radiator, and full exhaust. I found a 98 cr250 motor for cheap. Comes with carb, rad, and pipe. Any advice or help would be appreciated such as which carb to use, any mods I need to do would be appreciated. I'll post pics soon.

Should be easy. It's the same motor pretty much. Since you are going with the 01 look at the guys with 01's and their mods. There are tons of threads on this.  Are you going to race? mx? hare scrambles? open stuff? tight stuff? ..just to figure where you want to go with setups. If it's time for a top end it's safe to get a wiseco. There have been issues with piston skirts cracking off with stock pistons. I got my bike racetech gold valved and sprung for my weight. I ride offroad and got a 20" front wheel that came as an option for the 01'. You may just want to get a 90/100-21 front tire that copies some elements of the 20". I got an 18" rear wheel and it is an excellent upgrade. I got a wider rear rim. 2.5 inch .. It's better for hookup for off road ..up and downhill for braking. There's no need but a 20mm offset triple clamp is an improvement mod . The main thing is to just go through the motor and the suspension. Everything else is gravy to add. You can try looking in the TT garage to get ideas for your bike. I have. I have gone through a bunch of cr 250 honda threads seeing what others have done to see what's good and bad and what works for my situation. Here's an old list of mods from awhile ago. #4. TT has tons of great info from a whole pile of shared info for years. I am stoked and thankful that others have been generous enough to share mod info from their experience. It's saved me some headaches and helped get my bike working well  .  Here.. for a start..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/511806-2001-cr250-mods/page-2?hl=%2B2001+%2Bcr+%2B250+%2Bmods#entry10532432

Check the garage.. here's mine. I don't have much as far as mods listed though..I have a ton though.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/garage/vehicle/147-honda-cr250r-2001/

I went racetech gold valve and it made an awesome improvement on the bike.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Honda/CR250R/2001

I got a couple of manuals.. clymer and the service manual.. overkill but I got them cheap and the info is something ya gotta have .

..also the eric gorr book.. This is a great book with excellent info for your bike and has excellent setup for all bikes.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcross-Off-Road-Motorcycle-Performance-Motorbooks/dp/0760306605

I have a binder with notes to keep on settings etc.. articles and manuals etc. It's a good idea as I forget jetting etc later.

Really years ago when I first got my bike I just made a master list of every trick mod that I could put on my bike. Then as the years went by I would just cross off whatever mods I had put on my bike and just kept on looking for more new mods to put on the list and checking multiple sources while still testing what worked and didn't work that went on my bike. That's part of what I put in the binder but as time went on and my bike had a lot on it there really wasn't much to add on anymore. ..Still a zip up binder is a good simple system to keep you cr project info in one place.

Have fun!!!! enjoy the ride!!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the good info. Saved me a few hours of research. As for the motor I was goin to buy, turned out to be a motor for an 89' cr125. The only other motor I've found around here is an 03 cr250. Anyone know if it will fit in a 2nd gen frame?

Never  heard of that one . It might fit...should fit.. I'd guess you would have to change the headstays and see how the pipe fits and adjust that. The guys that have done the 01 motor into the 02+ threads might know better.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider