400 S off road riders: what sprocket sizes do you use?

Found out very quickly today that my 400S doesn't have nearly the low end grunt I want or need in offroad situations. Definitely need to change sprockets, just don't know what sizes to run with.

For those of you who ride mostly off road, what size sprockets have you found work best for you?

Thank you very much in advance.

Found out very quickly today that my 400S doesn't have nearly the low end grunt I want or need in offroad situations. Definitely need to change sprockets, just don't know what sizes to run with.

For those of you who ride mostly off road, what size sprockets have you found work best for you?

Thank you very much in advance.

I ride only off road, very little street,....maybe 5%. I kept the front sprocket @15 and got a Supersprox 47 tooth for the rear. Made a considerable difference from the 44 tooth stocker, and it's a really decent sprocket.....about $80. Some drop the front to 14 too, but if you ride on the street at all that will hamper your top speed. Try one or the other first to see what you think, then change if it's not good enough............BTW, you won't have to change the chain with the above options.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm going to start with a 47t in the back, and if that doesn't do the trick then I'll add a 14 counter.

Not really worried about top speed at all, as long as I can cruise at 60mph without the engine screaming!

Can't wait to make these changes and get the knobby tires on. I'm going to love this bike even more.

Just for comparison purposes I have a 14 CS and 44 rear. Has nearly the same ratio as the 15/47 combination. I run 70 mph without working the engine to hard.

I may also suggest (not knowing what other mods you have done or plan to do) doing the 3x3 air box mod, rejet the carb and a full exhaust (I went with the MRD). These modifications, although more involved and costly than a gearing change, REALLY improved my bike's performance off road.

Just for comparison purposes I have a 14 CS and 44 rear. Has nearly the same ratio as the 15/47 combination. I run 70 mph without working the engine to hard.

I may also suggest (not knowing what other mods you have done or plan to do) doing the 3x3 air box mod, rejet the carb and a full exhaust (I went with the MRD). These modifications, although more involved and costly than a gearing change, REALLY improved my bike's performance off road.

Yep I was just looking into the 3x3 mod as well. Already plan to get the JD jet kit also. While I want to upgrade the exhaust, it may have to wait a bit...since the tires, jet kit, air filter, hand guards, seat, rear rack + bag, and sprocket are already leaving gaping holes in my wallet!

I've decided any dualie or offroad bike/ATV should come with an automatic $1000 allowance for upgrades and mods.

Edited by mayorblurps

For what it's worth, a 14 countershaft sprocket costs a lot less than a 47 rear sprocket.  You get nearly the same change, either way gets you a better dirt bike.  The 47 rear will bring your back wheel in, shortening up your wheelbase a little.  You might like that if you're riding in tight woods. 

I had 14 / 47 on my '05 E and that's the best for pure dirt, and ok if you're doing short stints on the pavement.  50 mph was still comfortable, over that and it got pretty buzzy as the miles added up.  Now I ride a lot of pavement with my S so I kept the stock 15 / 44 and added the Rekluse clutch to help out in the slow speed stuff.  It won't give you the front wheel lifting ability like the lower gearing will but does make the tight stuff a lot easier.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm going to start with a 47t in the back, and if that doesn't do the trick then I'll add a 14 counter.

Not really worried about top speed at all, as long as I can cruise at 60mph without the engine screaming!

Can't wait to make these changes and get the knobby tires on. I'm going to love this bike even more.

14/47 will be a hoot for you then. 15/47 is the best 50/50 dualsport comprimise i've tried. 

from my experience:

15/44 (stock) = good street, decent offroad, lots of clutch work in tight stuff. short term hard stuff will work, but use the clutch, a lot.

14/47 = the best dualsport gearing, GREAT off road, acceptable on road, but not fun at 70. doable, but not fun. wheelies at any almost speed. 

15/47 = the best street oriented dualsport gearing. interstate is much more acceptable, dirt still plenty worthy. 

14/52 = (i'm stuck on this for dirt now) the best off-road-only gearing. 'cruising' pavement means 50mph or less, or your teeth rattle out fillings. dirt = FANTASTIC, all the way to the rev limiter. mountain goat up anything, and drift gravel in 5th if you have the gumption. wheelies and log hops are pitifully easy. wheelie in any gear, at almost any speed. pivot turns are easy for idiots (even me!) at this gearing. log hops and log STARTS are easy. rocky hills, sandy hills, mud baths, everything is better. 

all these are with full knobs. it changes if you use ds tires, or (gasp) street oriented tires. a lot. ;-)

Anyone using a renthal ultralight rear sprocket? Found a 47t at a decent price. Just don't know jack about sprockets and whether I should go w/ alloy/aluminum or steel.

No experience with that sprocket but as far as steel versus aluminum consider your application... Aluminum is lighter and also a softer metal than steel. If you race then aluminum will offer performance advantages but sacrifices service life. Steel will offer a longer service life (typically) but increases the rotating mass. As I do not race I choose steal to maximize the service life of my sprockets. Plus steel is typically less expensive.

• Like 1

I've decided any dualie or offroad bike/ATV should come with an automatic $1000 allowance for upgrades and mods.

Ha wish my wife had the same thought!

Yes the $$ can pile up quick with these addicting machines. I have made mods over a seven year time frame. Hopefully you can get there a little quicker than I did

Ha wish my wife had the same thought!

Yes the $$ can pile up quick with these addicting machines. I have made mods over a seven year time frame. Hopefully you can get there a little quicker than I did

Edited by mayorblurps

Think I might start compiling a little checklist/ noob guide of mods and tips that people like me need. This forum is chock full of info, but its kinda spread out. Maybe for my benefit more than anything but I'll share when I'm done! Nice to just glance at a list of bullet points when you need quick info.

14/44 because the front sprocket can be had for less than $20 and the rear is $75

I found a 47t steel JT sprocket for $33 shipped so I figured I would go with that to begin with. I looked at aluminum sprockets too but for my uses a steel one will should be fine and hopefully last longer?! I don't know much about JT sprockets so hopefully its a decent one.

• Like 1

I found a 47t steel JT sprocket for $33 shipped so I figured I would go with that to begin with. I looked at aluminum sprockets too but for my uses a steel one will should be fine and hopefully last longer?! I don't know much about JT sprockets so hopefully its a decent one.

Really glad you decided on steel....and JT makes a really decent sprocket. Steel will definitely last longer............... ?

• Like 1