Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 Timing Curve Mods, CDI or Stepped Keyway?

Ok, I have read that adding one of those aftermarket CDI boxes is a waste of time, now are the programmable ones worth looking into?, or say a stepped flywheel keyway much like those they put on SV 650's and the like for BEARS racing?, to give up to 4 degrees advance, I feel my bike would benefit from a few degrees right through, there is no audible detonation anywhere and a few degrees advance should aid the power a little right the way through, what's your thoughts experts, cheers

Research by eddie s. On this topic led to the conclusion that the stock cdi is best. He had a reprogrammable cdi for this.

There are people that say that the right yosh box does make a lot of difference. Never saw any dyno proof of that.

Eddie dynod evrrythingvthose days. He was also looking for every last bit of power. So i m inclied to believe that

Cheers for the reply, I was thinking about making a stepped keyway or making a slight mod to the trigger actuator on the flywheel to get a couple of degrees advance thru the whole CDI curve, I read they used to do this with the early SV 650s in the UK when they had a bespoke racing class for them, a 4 dollar mod gave about 2-3 hp on the dyno, yep I read most of the aftermarket boxes were a waste of time, only advantage was the 500 - 1000 rpm raised limiter, which I believe the bike does not need, might be an interesting experiment, pity you cant get the old stage 2 cams like you have on your bike, I wonder why they were discontinued. Cheers

If you know what you are doing, you can obtain minor power increases with a programmable cdi like dynatec...

advancing ignition across the entire rpm range isn't the best way to go with the drz

The dynatec programmable cdi has 4 preset maps included.(stock map, 2 and 4 degree advance and 2 degree retard)

I used one on my stroker and never saw any significant gains with the preset maps

Edited by Craigo 485sm

Thankyou for that, I will have a look into it, might be the go when my bike is rebuilt winter next year, is Eddie up and running yet, some of the threads indicate a few things are going on, I want to start accumulating bits soon, the 18 cams, valves and springs are my first point of call, cheers

Thankyou for that, I will have a look into it, might be the go when my bike is rebuilt winter next year, is Eddie up and running yet, some of the threads indicate a few things are going on, I want to start accumulating bits soon, the 187 cams, valves and springs are my first point of call, cheers