Sign in to follow this  

Best tire combo

Winter is coming. Which means plenty of new parts and rebuilds. One of which is tires. I'm going to get new tires for my KX250, but want the opinions of everyone else. I ride sand, mud, and soft, medium, and hard packed dirt. Usually Its medium/hard pack though. I'm looking at the MX51, but people don't like the MX51 as a front. What are you trail riders running for tires? How have they held up? Do you like them?

Ill be racing or riding the track for fun 95% of my riding....

Trails being 5% of my riding.

Which tires for my yz250 would be best for the $, don't want to spend a fortune

Thanks!

Edited by Austrianbloodline

The best tire depends entirely on the track conditions.  Hardpack, sandy, tacky, dry, etc.  The best all around tire (what I run on enduro trails) is the Bridgestone 403/404 combo.  It's the best compromise IMHO for a variety of conditions.  The knobs are spaced close enough for traction on hardpack, but far enough to self-clean in mud and grip traction in sand.

But for east Texas races where the soil is nothin but sand, I run the Pirelli MXMS (mid-soft).  The knobs are spaced much further apart to allow them to dig into the soil and "scoop" it for traction, also so the tire is self-cleaning.  They are TERRIBLE for hardpack and rocks.  If the knobs were too close, they would not dig down but would rather "ride on top" of the sand.  We ran paddle tires on the dunes in Oregon as a kid, we tried a tire with 2 extra paddles to see if it would get more traction.  The problem was that the extra two paddles caused the tire to ride on top of the sand and not dig in at all!  It was terrible.  And it made a thump thump humming noise. 

I got the artrax deal from motosport. Working great so far. I think dirtbike mag just did a shootout with the artrax tires too,i havn't read it,just saw pics on instagram.lol

Sorry I didn't fully answer your question.  The best tire for your buck is hard to answer because you get what you pay for.  We ran Maxxis MH med-hard tires in the desert, but when I installed a Michelin M12 on the rear that my buddy gave me, I realized ASAP how much better that M12 was!!  We bought Maxxis because they were $45.00 each at Chaparral in San Bernardino in 2004.  So--you get what you pay for.

Hands down, the best combo I've found is the Bridgestone 403/404 front/rear. It's best for a great variety of terrains. The Pirelli MXMS (mid soft) is great for all sand and mud, but terrible in hardback and rocks.

Other gut over at the 250 forum says they don't hook up but don't wear quickly either.

Winter is coming. Which means plenty of new parts and rebuilds. One of which is tires. I'm going to get new tires for my KX250, but want the opinions of everyone else. I ride sand, mud, and soft, medium, and hard packed dirt. Usually Its medium/hard pack though. I'm looking at the MX51, but people don't like the MX51 as a front. What are you trail riders running for tires? How have they held up? Do you like them?

I love the 403/404 combo. But even better is the 603/604.. I know they say hard pack.. but they do so good in the loan also

I love the 403/404 combo. But even better is the 603/604.. I know they say hard pack.. but they do so good in the loan also

and run a 90/100-21 up front and a 110/80-19 in back

Tires are subjective.... The best set of tires for you might not be the best tires for everyone. My advice is buy some tires like the 403/404s and see if they work, after that you have a base for what you want next time...

Tires are subjective.... The best set of tires for you might not be the best tires for everyone. My advice is buy some tires like the 403/404s and see if they work, after that you have a base for what you want next time...

Yeah, you're right. But if I dislike them...they're almost $100 a piece.

EDIT: I just looked at a pic of a brand new one. Look at the knobs on that sucker...ill take 20.

Edited by lethalweapon100

Yeah, you're right. But if I dislike them...they're almost $100 a piece.EDIT: I just looked at a pic of a brand new one. Look at the knobs on that sucker...ill take 20.

My best advice is go to a shop and ask if they have any race team take offs. Usually you can buy slightly used tires for like $50s or less...

tried dunlop MX51 twice, TOTAL CRAP except if its brand new first 1-2 rides..  unbelievable for how wide and chunky they are i had a 120 width!

love the Bridgestone M404, accidently brought the M204 recently and like that too! lasts really good for  soft compound

The Michelin Starcross MH 3 is excellent mid to hard conditions. Not that well in sand. The michelin M 12 XC is good in sand and useless on anything else. That's just my experience. The bridgestone 401/402 are also good tires just do not last that long.

Woah thats weird you say that. I run Starcross MH3's as well and ride in Michigan where you can't avoid the sand. I find it excellent for sandy and soft conditions! I think all around, its a great tire, and you can't beat the price.

I'd go with the starcross its hard to find a cheaper tire IMO.

Edit: Wait a minute, I have MS3's, thats why its probably so good in the sand lol :p

Edited by dan2581

I had the m404 and it really grabbed well in all round dirt. I just bought m604 for the back, and it's really holding up great. So I would really recommend either of them.

Oh ya I do only enduro, just to let u know.

Speaking of sand in Michigan,what about when the sand is mixed with rocks & roots?

Where I ride,it's a combination of loose sand,rocks,roots,in any and all combinations...