Sign in to follow this  

So, you wanna stand, huh?

So, you wanna learn how to be a GREAT rider while standing up?

No problem!

Just buy a KTM!!!  You'll get plenty of practice standing!  LOL!!!

I went on an exactly 200 mile ride today, of which I spent about 1/3 of the time standing, and is my butt ever sore!!!

Others have said that the seat is not all that good on the pre-14's, and I thought that I remember reading that KTM "improved" the seat on the 14's.  I can't believe that it could have ever been "worse".

Oh well, still an awesome bike, and if I really want a different seat, that's pretty easily fixed.

CADman_KS

I picked up my 14' 500 a few days ago and I'll be the first to say that the seat is still horrible. "Improved"....I think not.  :lol:  Good thing I still have my seat concepts seat from my 13'. I'll be installing that before my first ride for sure.

Two words. Seat concepts. I have had them all and I can tell you there is no comparison. They have the shape and seat foam density down. Most comfortable seat hands down. I just ordered one for my other bike.

• Like 1

Two words. Seat concepts. I have had them all and I can tell you there is no comparison. They have the shape and seat foam density down. Most comfortable seat hands down. I just ordered one for my other bike.

Yeah, I might have to look into that...

I've heard others say that it's the shape that's all hosed up.  I don't think that's the issue as much as the density.  That seat is a ROCK!!!  I think that I've been hit with softer rocks!!!

CADman_KS

Try some padded bicycle shorts under your riding pants, they help. Keep standing. The KTM wants to be ridden standing up, so keep up the good work and stay on the pegs. ;)

Try some padded bicycle shorts under your riding pants, they help. Keep standing. The KTM wants to be ridden standing up, so keep up the good work and stay on the pegs. ;)

OH I WAS WEARING THOSE!!!  I don't think that I would have made it home if I wasn't!!!

When I first got the 500, it didn't feel "good" / "right" standing.  But the more I get used to it, it's quite easy to ride standing up.  Feels pretty comfortable now...

CADman_KS

• Like 1

My Enduro Engineering seat is akin to sitting on a 2x4 with a piece of leather on it.

At least there's leather on it!  ;)

The KTM seat is a 2X4 with some patterned vinyl on that likes to stick to anything it touches...

CADman_KS

Like others have stated, look into seat concepts. The seat on my 2013 350exc was painful after 10 miles of riding so I went with a seat concepts seat and did multiple 100 miles+ rides on it with very little discomfort. The seat on my 2014 500 is almost as bad. But I plan on throwing on a seat concepts seat on it again too. Check out their website.

Like others have stated, look into seat concepts. The seat on my 2013 350exc was painful after 10 miles of riding so I went with a seat concepts seat and did multiple 100 miles+ rides on it with very little discomfort. The seat on my 2014 500 is almost as bad. But I plan on throwing on a seat concepts seat on it again too. Check out their website.

LOL!!  10 MILES!!!?!?!?!?   ;)

I went 20 times that amount!  No wonder my butt hurt!!!   :crazy:

CADman_KS

So, to those of you that have installed the Seat Concepts seat, what type of surfaces do you get?

I just went to their website, and they have a myriad of options.

Grippers

No Grippers

Plain

Embosssed

Carbon

and then combinations on the sides as well...

CADman_KS

LOL!!  10 MILES!!!?!?!?!?   ;)

I went 20 times that amount!  No wonder my butt hurt!!!   :crazy:

CADman_KS

Yea well it only took about half hour or so of riding before my cheeks hurt from that 2x4 :smirk: but at the end of the day and after many more miles on the stock seat, I was so sore it hurt to sit down for the rest of the trip and the day after that. The seat concepts seat has a wider rear design allowing for both cheeks to fit on it and therefore distributing our body weight more evenly across a wider surface minimizing the pressure all around as opposed to all the direct weight being pressed upon on a single cheek atop an unforgiving seat. Hope my explanation helps lol

But as far as which combo I got, I got the carbon fiber with black stitching all around. I was going to get the gripper but I heard it grips to well and I hate the feeling of being stuck on the seat as fast on the fly body shifts is a must sometimes.

KTM seats seem to soften up a bit once you get about 250 hours on them.

...or your ass is callused!!! 

I'm guessing the latter...   :lol:

I spent a couple of hours on mine yesterday and remember reading about the awful seats on these bikes.  To be honest, my butt didn't complain once! I think it was because I was having sooo much fun.

Scott

Get out and pedal a bicycle a whole bunch. The sit bones and muscles get conditioned. A KTM seat is plush compared to a road or cross country mountain bike.

• Like 1

I spent a couple of hours on mine yesterday and remember reading about the awful seats on these bikes. To be honest, my butt didn't complain once! I think it was because I was having sooo much fun.

Scott

LOL!

I didn't say I wasn't having fun, but my but wasn't very happy... ;)

CADman_KS

Get out and pedal a bicycle a whole bunch. The sit bones and muscles get conditioned. A KTM seat is plush compared to a road or cross country mountain bike.

Bicycle seats are actually more comfortable IMOH. They have a wider design that allows both cheeks to be planted, therefore distributing the weight. A KTM seat is narrow, only allowing one cheek or half of both to be on at the same time, making the surface area of the cheeks planted alot less, increasing pressure to the planted areas. I'm speaking from my experience with road bikes as I never really got into mountain biking though so YMMV.