KLX 110L Shock for Kids/Youth Riders (pics)

Recently I purchased a KLX 110L for my 8-yr old, 65lb. Grandson.  I wanted to go with one of the little 110s as my Grandson is a beginner rider having only riden about 6-mos. on a CRF50F. I chose the "L" model because it has a manual clutch and I want my Grandson to learn a manual clutch as early in his learning curve as possible. I also chose the "L" because it sits 2" taller in the saddle and my Grandson is tall for his age. I thought the added extra suspension travel over the standard 110 would be nice as well.

I decided against a full blown 65cc MX racer as I have no idea if my Grandson is gonna like the whole race scene..., or just choose to trail ride with his buddy who rides a TTR90. We will try a beginner 65cc MX class on his 110 this Spring and if he likes racing we will look for a racer in '15.

Anyway, once I got the bike I was disappointed to find that the KLX110L's suspension was designed more for teenage or young adult riders (pit bike crowd), and not kid weight riders in the 60-80lb. weight range. The rear shock on the "L" is so stiff it won't even move when riden by a beginner kid weight rider! The forks are also pretty stiff but can be made to work well enough by adjusting oil volume and, or, viscosity.

I searched the forums and retailers for a reasonably priced replacement shock sprung for a kid weight rider, but no luck. The standard 110 uses a 260mm shock while the 110L uses a 288mm shock. Not only could I not find a shock near the OEM length, but nothing even close to spring weight for youth riders.  Seems all the aftermarket shocks available at the retailers are the proper length for the standard 110 and sprung heavy for folks 150-250lbs. I could have a very expensive custom shock made for the bike and my Grandson's weight but that doesn't make sense to me as this 110 is a learner bike and not intended to be a full blown race bike.

I spoke with a guy at BBR and learned that they felt the "L" was "jacked-up" too high in the rear and was told it handled better if it is lowered a little. Now the search was on again and I learned the KTM 50SX Senior shock from year models 98-01 was 277mm long and was for sure built for youth riders. The KTM shock has pre-load adjustment and so I was pretty sure this shock could be made to work for the application we were looking for.

I learned the KTM shock shows as a new OEM part on the parts finder and reasonably priced at about $90.It took 3-weeks to get the shock but it did arrive. As of this writing the shock is still available as a new OEM part.

The shock is almost ready to bolt right on the 110L, but not quite. The mount bushings on the KTM 50SX Senior shock are too wide to fit the mounts on the 110L, but can be turned down to the correct width and then the shock bolts right up (see photos)!

Once mounted, the KTM shock's damping and spring rate seems perfect for a light weight beginner, youth rider on the 110L. The pre-load adjustment allowed us to set sag for my Grandson's 75lb (with gear) ride weight.

In conclusion, let me remind that this modification is aimed at kid/youth weight beginner riders wishing to ride the KLX 110L model and have a working rear shock.  This mod. is not for advanced kid/youth racers, or teen weight riders.

Hope this thread helps someone also unsatisfied with the stock "L" shock for their beginner youth rider.

Randy

KLX110L OEM Shock:

Length: 288mm eye-to-eye

Spring Diameter: 2.5"

Spring Wire Diameter: 8.5mm

Mounting Hole I.D.: 10mm

Mounting Bushing Width: .780"

KTM 50SX Senior (98-01) OEM Shock

Length: 277mm eye-to-eye

Spring Diameter: 2.0"

Spring Wire Diameter: 7mm

Mounting Bushing Width: .865"

The KTM shock is about 1/2" shorter than the stock "L" shock. Using the KTM 50SX Senior shock lowers the KLX110L rear ride height by 7/8" compared to the stock "L" shock.

The KTM 50SX Senior shock fits nicely on the KLX110L

50SX00.jpg

OEM KTM 50SX Senior shock & OEM Kawasaki KLX 110L shock

50SX01.jpg

OEM KLX 110L shock is 288mm long while the KTM 50SX Senior shock is 277mm long

50SX02.jpg

50SX03.jpg

The KTM shock is made in Italy by Paioli

50SX04.jpg

50SX05.jpg

Stock KTM Mounting Bushing is .865" wide

50SX06.jpg

Mounting Bushing must be turned-down to .790" wide for a perfect fit on my KLX 110L

50SX07.jpg

Preload adjustment rings are easy to access on the KTM shock mounted on the "L"

50SX08.jpg

50SX09.jpg

Lower & Upper mounting

50SX10.jpg

50SX11.jpg

OEM KLX110L shock ride height reference at 18-1/2"

288rideheight.jpg

OEM KTM 50SX Senior shock ride height reference at 17-5/8" or, 7/8" lower than stock shock ride height

277rideheight.jpg

Edited by oldmxer63
  • Like 1

Recently I purchased a KLX 110L for my 8-yr old, 65lb. Grandson.  I wanted to go with one of the little 110s as my Grandson is a beginner rider having only riden about 6-mos. on a CRF50F. I chose the "L" model because it has a manual clutch and I want my Grandson to learn a manual clutch as early in his learning curve as possible. I also chose the "L" because it sits 2" taller in the saddle and my Grandson is tall for his age. I thought the added extra suspension travel over the standard 110 would be nice as well.

I decided against a full blown 65cc MX racer as I have no idea if my Grandson is gonna like the whole race scene..., or just choose to trail ride with his buddy who rides a TTR90. We will try a beginner 65cc MX class on his 110 this Spring and if he likes racing we will look for a racer in '15.

Anyway, once I got the bike I was disappointed to find that the KLX110L's suspension was designed more for teenage or young adult riders (pit bike crowd), and not kid weight riders in the 60-80lb. weight range. The rear shock on the "L" is so stiff it won't even move when riden by a beginner kid weight rider! The forks are also pretty stiff but can be made to work well enough by adjusting oil volume and, or, viscosity.

I searched the forums and retailers for a reasonably priced replacement shock sprung for a kid weight rider, but no luck. The standard 110 uses a 260mm shock while the 110L uses a 288mm shock. Not only could I not find a shock near the OEM length, but nothing even close to spring weight for youth riders.  Seems all the aftermarket shocks available at the retailers are the proper length for the standard 110 and sprung heavy for folks 150-250lbs. I could have a very expensive custom shock made for the bike and my Grandson's weight but that doesn't make sense to me as this 110 is a learner bike and not intended to be a full blown race bike.

I spoke with a guy at BBR and learned that they felt the "L" was "jacked-up" too high in the rear and was told it handled better if it is lowered a little. Now the search was on again and I learned the KTM 50SX Senior shock from year models 98-01 was 277mm long and was for sure built for youth riders. The KTM shock has pre-load adjustment and so I was pretty sure this shock could be made to work for the application we were looking for.

I learned the KTM shock shows as a new OEM part on the parts finder and reasonably priced at about $90.It took 3-weeks to get the shock but it did arrive. As of this writing the shock is still available as a new OEM part.

The shock is almost ready to bolt right on the 110L, but not quite. The mount bushings on the KTM 50SX Senior shock are too wide to fit the mounts on the 110L, but can be turned down to the correct width and then the shock bolts right up (see photos)!

Once mounted, the KTM shock's damping and spring rate seems perfect for a light weight beginner, youth rider on the 110L. The pre-load adjustment allowed us to set sag for my Grandson's 75lb (with gear) ride weight.

In conclusion, let me remind that this modification is aimed at kid/youth weight beginner riders wishing to ride the KLX 110L model and have a working rear shock.  This mod. is not for advanced kid/youth racers, or teen weight riders.

Hope this thread helps someone also unsatisfied with the stock "L" shock for their beginner youth rider.

Randy

KLX110L OEM Shock:

Length: 288mm eye-to-eye

Spring Diameter: 2.5"

Spring Wire Diameter: 8.5mm

Mounting Bushing Width: .780"

KTM 50SX Senior (98-01) OEM Shock

Length: 277mm eye-to-eye

Spring Diameter: 2.0"

Spring Wire Diameter: 7mm

Mounting Bushing Width: .865"

The KTM shock is about 1/2" shorter than the stock "L" shock. Using the KTM 50SX Senior shock lowers the KLX110L rear ride height by 7/8" compared to the stock "L" shock.

The KTM 50SX Senior shock fits nicely on the KLX110L

50SX00.jpg

OEM KTM 50SX Senior shock & OEM Kawasaki KLX 110L shock

50SX01.jpg

OEM KLX 110L shock is 288mm long while the KTM 50SX Senior shock is 277mm long

50SX02.jpg

50SX03.jpg

The KTM shock is made in Italy by Paioli

50SX04.jpg

50SX05.jpg

Stock KTM Mounting Bushing is .865" wide

50SX06.jpg

Mounting Bushing must be turned-down to .790" wide for a perfect fit on my KLX 110L

50SX07.jpg

Preload adjustment rings are easy to access on the KTM shock mounted on the "L"

50SX08.jpg

50SX09.jpg

Lower & Upper mounting

50SX10.jpg

50SX11.jpg

OEM KLX110L shock ride height reference at 18-1/2"

288rideheight.jpg

OEM KTM 50SX Senior shock ride height reference at 17-5/8" or, 7/8" lower than stock shock ride height

277rideheight.jpg

Where did you buy the shock - I just had my ordered canceled at Cheap Cycle Parts as they said it was no longer available.

Thanks

A couple years ago we bought my brother his first bike, a pw80, with a slam worn out rear shock from use throughout the years. We fabricated a mountain bike air shock to fit inside the bike which we had just pulled it off of a mountain bike I had totalled a few weeks prior.

NastyR1, I ordered it from MotoSport and It was about $90 and free shipping at that time (promotional period).  It took MotoSport about 2-weeks to get it from their supplier, and then a few days to me.

MotoSport

http://www.motosport.com/home

Randy

Randy

Thanks for the info - you would'nt happen to have the part number that you ordered would you  - the $90 shock you're referring to  - 2001 SX Senior pn 451.04.010.100 has been superceded by a new part number and is now listed on some websites as 451.04.010.04.004 for anywhere between $145 and $195 -

Rob

Rob,

Here is a direct link to the part. Same shock & part number I used in this thread.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KTM/2001/50SX-SENIOR/SWINGARM%2C-SHOCK-ABSORBER/SHOCK-AB.-SX-SEN.-L%3D275MM-2000/45004010600

I think you have been looking at the shock for the "LC" model and that is a different shock, and in the price range you quoted???

Randy

Edited by oldmxer63

Rob,

Here is a direct link to the part. Same shock & part number I used in this thread.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KTM/2001/50SX-SENIOR/SWINGARM%2C-SHOCK-ABSORBER/SHOCK-AB.-SX-SEN.-L%3D275MM-2000/45004010600

I think you have been looking at the shock for the "LC" model and that is a different shock, and in the price range you quoted???

Randy

Randy

Motosport won't ship KTM parts to Canada for some reason so I called around to different dealers and was informed that number is now discontinued. I was able to find the replacement number listed as 451.0401.04.0004 on one website and the best price I could find was $135 from http://www.discounthondaparts.com

This must have been discontinued fairly recently as the new number does not show up on the majority of websites that I looked at so it will have to be given verbally over the phone. 

Rob

Randy

Motosport won't ship KTM parts to Canada for some reason so I called around to different dealers and was informed that number is now discontinued. I was able to find the replacement number listed as 451.0401.04.0004 on one website and the best price I could find was $135 from http://www.discounthondaparts.com

This must have been discontinued fairly recently as the new number does not show up on the majority of websites that I looked at so it will have to be given verbally over the phone. 

Rob

Rob,

That part number is for the "LC" model shock.  I don't know the difference between the shock I bought and the "LC" so ya might have to do some research.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KTM/2001/50SX-PRO-SENIOR-LC/SWINGARM%2C-SHOCK-ABSORBER/SHOCK-ABSORBER-SEN.-L%3D275MM/4510401040004

Good luck, hope it's essentially the  same shock and works for ya.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

Got the shock in and it fits pretty good - had to grind down the bushing collars on either side and the shock is a bit longer (275mm vs 260mm) but otherwise bolted right in. It's definitely softer than stock and the ride height can be adjusted with the preload collars - the bike feels much more balanced now and my 10 yr old son can feel the difference.

The part number is 451-040-104-0004 and was $132 from Honda of Riverhead in Riverhead NY. I tried getting the shock that was listed in the thread earlier but was told from several dealerships it's discontinued.

Much thanks to Randy for posting the original info as it was a good starting point and I had run out of options to soften up the rear end of this great little bike.

KLX110 with <a href='https://www.thumpertalk.com/link/click/4926/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4926' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>KTM</a> Shock.jpg

Edited by NastyR1

Rob, do you have a 110 or a 110L?  My post was for the 110L with the 288mm stock shock.  The 260mm shock is on the standard 110.

At any rate, if it's working to your satisfaction then that's great.

Randy

Randy

It's the 110, not the 110L but it looks like the 275mm length will work on both -

FYI up next are some carb/airbox modifications - the standard pilot and main are a 40 and 78, thinking of opening up the airbox where it goes into the frame and upping the main to 85.

Rob

Rob

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An update to this thread.  The basic suspension mods. done in this thread are working very well for my Grandson so I thought I would add our setup for anyone interested in these simple mods. to help their youth beginner rider.

After some testing with my Grandson we have settled on the following settings.  The bike's suspension is well balanced front & rear and the bike is very "planted" while riding with my Grandson's moderate skill level.

The suspension works near full travel, but doesn't bottom with my beginner rider doing small jumps as shown in the photos below.  Very compliant ride for my 70lb (with gear) rider!

Forks:

7wt Bel Ray, 5.75oz. (stock is 6.15oz.) per fork.

Forks raised 3/4" in the clamps.

Full use of travel with just the right amount of bottoming resistance near the end of the stroke.

Shock:

As described in this thread.

Rider/Race sag is set at 1-1/4" (5+" total travel).

Swingarm:

Swingarm pivot bushed with 2-.025" bushings between the arm, and the frame lugs with the pivot bolt snugged (thread lock) just enough to feel slight tension when moving the arm up & down.

Both shock mounting bolts just snugged (thread lock) to slight tension.

From the factory the swingarm was torqued so tightly the arm was completely in a solid bind!  This seems to be a somewhat common problem as reported on various forums.  Check your swingarm  pivot!

Hope this info. helps you achieve some working suspension on your "L" model for your young/youth rider. ?

Randy

RileyMX100.jpgRileyMX103.jpgRileyMX104.jpg

Another pic from yesterday's practice session. In this photo you can see the forks are making full use of the travel even with the light weight rider. The rear is working excellent with the KTM shock as well!

Randy

Grandson learning basic skills in preparation for his first race in 65-BEGINNER class on his 110L. I expect he will do just fine in a true beginner (key word, "beginner") class aboard the little thumper!

RileyMX109.jpg

• 1 month later...

hey Randy, yesterday I picked up a 2013 klx 110 for my son , he is small at 50 lbs so the bike is a little big for him simply because there is no sag. He has a SX50 with same seat height but with the sag (and thinner seat) it is the right height for him. So any Way I bought the bike for him only to find the shock is hard as a rock and has NO sag. Fortunately I came across your post so there may be hope ..... but I do have a question. The klx shock length is 260mm Vs 288 on the L version ..... The ktm shock you suggested is 277 mm. Do you think this would work for my bike if I turn the hats all the way up and maybe trim some of the rubber stop?

Unfortunately the 248 or 255mm version of the ktm shock is not available.

Thanks again for this good post.

Randy,

Thanks for this great post.  I just found myself in this very same position today.  I went out and purchased a 2011 110L, for my 8 year old son.  When I arrived home he jumped on it and I immediately realized the problem you explained.  I was originally intending on just purchasing a shock from the standard KLX 110, hoping it would bolt right up and fix the problem.  Sounds like a no brainer to me!  I called a dealer nearby, and asked if the shock from the standard model will fit the "L" model, and I was told it would, "because they both have the same swing arm".  I Then decided to look on here to see what others are doing, and found your post.  Reading your post, you stated the two shocks are different sizes...  Forgive me, I'm a beginner...  So does that mean it will definitely not work?  Can you just clarify that for me, is my only option getting the 2001 KTM Senior 50 shock?  Thanks for your help!, Lee