Sign in to follow this  

Self protection

I need something I can carry on trails with some what ease. Cannot be a firearm, so I'm thinking of a high powered co2 pellet gun? Any suggestions?

What are you trying to protect yourself from?

Also why can it not be a firearm.  An airgun can get you in trouble in some places as well.  For instance it is illegal to fire pellet guns in some cities.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

Where I'm from anything that shoots over 1200 fps is considered a firearm so you can't even go very high power on a pellet gun. Also what do you need protection from? A pellet gun isn't going to kill or even seriously wound anything larger than a cat..

• Like 1

So basically a pellet gun is nothing for animals. For people, a scary looking knife is probably a much better deterrent and also easier to pack around and access if need be.

Bear spray is a good idea. Fps doesn't matter where I live. Can't be a firearm since I'm only 13, but I can handle one just fine. I'll be protecting myself from humans,bears, mountain lion/cougar, and wolfs. The actually likelihood of me running into one is small, but there still here. The reason I thought of a pellet gun is because in a magazine I saw people were hunting boars with them, so I figured they'd be pretty good.

I'd go with bear spray. A knife is ok, but in the case of a crash or get off... there's always that chance of the knife coming loose.

I'd go with bear spray. A knife is ok, but in the case of a crash or get off... there's always that chance of the knife coming loose.

yeah, but, you look like a boss having it  :thumbsup:

yeah, but, you look like a boss having it :thumbsup:

This is true, I do enjoy carrying my ka-bar when out hunting with our ATV ;) but I wouldn't carry it on a bike. Looking like a boss isn't worth a potential impalement.

This is true, I do enjoy carrying my ka-bar when out hunting with our ATV ;) but I wouldn't carry it on a bike. Looking like a boss isn't worth a potential impalement.

Agreed, I wouldn't carry a knife on my person while riding. When I posted the knife suggestion my thoughts were it would be mounted on the bike, securely, or in a pack on the bike.

Also, if you are riding with a knife, I would hope it is sheathed. 

What are you trying to protect yourself from?

Also why can it not be a firearm. An airgun can get you in trouble in some places as well. For instance it is illegal to fire pellet guns in some cities.

Squirrels, they roam in packs preying on riders....

Like honestly, what are you needing to protect yourself from?

If you can't get a pistol then maybe get a very loud air horn for animals to scare them off. Now if that doesn't scare them off and they keep coming closer if suggest bear spray or something of the sort. For people try and find a realistic looking pellet gun that packs a punch so it looks legit then if that doesn't scare them a little pellet will hurt but probly just piss any animal off. Maybe carry a pocket knife with a locking blade also .

If you ride a two stroke, no need to

worry. The smoke creates a delicious smelling force field barrier that is impenetrable to any negative force in the universe.

If you ride a four stroke, you're out of luck. Just ride faster and don't fall off.

The best protection against being attacked by humans or animals is learn to ride fast.. long enough to outrun who's chasing you.  I'm all for gun rights, but it's not very practical to carry while riding.  Holster would get in the way, in your CamelBak would take too long to access in order to be effective.

Bear spray/"mace" is a great tool... legal in a lot of jurisdictions where a firearm is not (federal buildings, for example).  Not as effective as a firearm in certain situations, but it will give you an advantage.

I usually carry both.