1980 YZ250 "SPARK ARRESTER" ?

So now that I know I have a 1980 YZ250, my next order of buisness is this. STUPID TREE HUGGERS!!! LOL Anyways no disrespect I just hate you all. I have to have a "SPARK ARRESTER" in order to ride my Dirt Bike here in Lovely Southern California. So where can I buy one for cheap, alternative ways to get around it maybe? Not trying to ask for illegal advice but maybe some things that have worked for you guys. Or if any of you have any solid advice on this subject for those who live out here and ride two stroke vintage bikes still. I have seen on Ebay numerous ones but speficially for newer model bikes.  Need assistance here please!

Thanks.

Edited by irishhawk81

Spark arrestor keeps you from starting fires. Not really a tree hugger thing.

you can buy a cobra usa sparky universal spark arrestor and add it to your stock silencer 

http://www.leisuretimepowersports.com/Cobra-USA-UNIVERSAL-SPARKY-SPARK-ARRESTORS-detail.htm?productId=8079714#/0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66jiXF8u2F0

or you may get away with this for cheap maybe? but it looks like an aerosol can to me?  :excuseme:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-YAMAHA-YZ250-SILENCER-REPLICA-SPARK-ARRESTER-GREEN-SCREEN-VINTAGE-VMX-/270827722566

Edited by smezmx
Spark arrestor keeps you from starting fires. Not really a tree hugger thing.
Well then riddle me this? Why is it not all states require this? I have never heard of this as I come East coast and ride in Pennsylvania and New York. Neither places require and neither does Virginia. Also since when does a dirt bike or quad ever started a fire due to exhaust spark? You would really need to be close to dry environment such as leaves or bark and shoot a significant spark out to even ignite.

you can buy a cobra usa sparky universal spark arrestor and add it to your stock silencer

http://www.leisuretimepowersports.com/Cobra-USA-UNIVERSAL-SPARKY-SPARK-ARRESTORS-detail.htm?productId=8079714#/0

or you may get away with this for cheap maybe? but it looks like an aerosol can to me? :excuseme:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1981-YAMAHA-YZ250-SILENCER-REPLICA-SPARK-ARRESTER-GREEN-SCREEN-VINTAGE-VMX-/270827722566

Thanks will go with first link!

Edited by irishhawk81

I bought a FMF TCII off from e-bay for $40. 2 months ago. If you want one cheap that's where I would start looking. Make sure it says USFS approved on it!! I bought one that was for a Honda that also happened to fit my Yamaha It200. The one difference is in the bend of the pipe going into the silencer so I found a universal one that was on a Honda. Just make sure it is for 200 to 500cc and just make it fit. You may be able to find a older answer products spark arrestor on flea bay as well.

Well then riddle me this? Why is it not all states require this? I have never heard of this as I come East coast and ride in Pennsylvania and New York. Neither places require and neither does Virginia. Also since when does a dirt bike or quad ever started a fire due to exhaust spark? You would really need to be close to dry environment such as leaves or bark and shoot a significant spark out to even ignite.

Thanks will go with first link!

I live in VA and they do require it to ride on National park land/public trails.  For instance

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/virginia_09548/ride_d142.htm

Its more of an issue in CA because we dont typically have wildfires here where you do. 

I live in VA and they do require it to ride on National park land/public trails. For instance

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/virginia_09548/ride_d142.htm

Its more of an issue in CA because we dont typically have wildfires here where you do.

Well slap me silly then. I have ridden in a few places in Virginia they never asked about the spark arrester but suppose it could have been required still.

Contrary to popular believe though I would like to know the statistics of forest fires started due to ATV or Dirt Bikes! :). Ah who cares it's required nothing I can do about it anyhow just irritating to spend $80 for a add on to a exhaust which doesn't help performance. Rules are rules.

Well slap me silly then. I have ridden in a few places in Virginia they never asked about the spark arrester but suppose it could have been required still.

Contrary to popular believe though I would like to know the statistics of forest fires started due to ATV or Dirt Bikes! :). Ah who cares it's required nothing I can do about it anyhow just irritating to spend $80 for a add on to a exhaust which doesn't help performance. Rules are rules.

yeah ive never been stopped and asked, and i see guys all the time on not street legal bikes even though you are supposed to have a tag...  All i know is my rmz450 shoots a big flame out of the back of it so i wouldnt ride it in the woods without a spark arrestor:)

I think CA is more strict.  Around here we have a lot of laws that don't really get enforced.  Just like its actually illegal to change the exhaust on your bike but unless you are doing something stupid you wont get a ticket.

Suppose when you register it as race only category then your not forced to follow rules. Then at same time your not allowed to ride it anywhere except a track or racing controlled environment.

I'm not from California just here for a visit due to Military orders thank goodness! :). It has it's benefits but too expensive and silly rules.

For instance I have a 2005 Ford F350 Dually they wanted $489 for registration for one year due to $286 in weight fees?!?!?....well I went to NY since I'm a resident of and being Military allows me to do so. It costs me in NY $190 for two years registration.

Suppose when you register it as race only category then your not forced to follow rules. Then at same time your not allowed to ride it anywhere except a track or racing controlled environment.

I'm not from California just here for a visit due to Military orders thank goodness! :). It has it's benefits but too expensive and silly rules.

For instance I have a 2005 Ford F350 Dually they wanted $489 for registration for one year due to $286 in weight fees?!?!?....well I went to NY since I'm a resident of and being Military allows me to do so. It costs me in NY $190 for two years registration.

It cost me $190 for one year on my 04 Chevy 2500 crew cab in Michigan. Thats a good deal in NY!! I think CA is out to lunch for that price!!

Edited by Zrt1200

Well guys no luck! I had it running or sort of that night back a few days ago. I kicked it ever so slightly she fired up but due to 2:30am I had to kill it quick. Well not after a few days it just kicks, kicks, kicks, and kicks some more but not even any attempt to start. I have no idea what the hell went wrong here. Didn't do anything different after those few days and after it started that night for split second I can't get it going anymore.

Need some help, I tried putting some starting fluid in carb from air filter side and all I got was pop and what seemed like a back fire. Any ideas? I was thinking gas but it has brand new fuel line, jets were either brand new or cleaned and parts in carb were mainly brand new and they are correct factory OEM numbered jets. So now I have no idea, would compression, too much air , wrong mixture, reeds bad all cause a no start? Well not gas it's actually a 32/1 ratio right now that's fine right?

Also I have brand new fuel line rubber hose it's getting perfect spark I tested that and plugs are correct with correct gap. If it ran with the intake rubber being cracked then I will rule that out as a item to check because it did run sitting in condition it is now. Any ideas folks ?