Sign in to follow this  

First hare scramble - Thanks!

Rode my first hare scramble and had a blast! Thanks to all the advice from you guys a while back when I was getting the bike ready to go. The bark busters and skid plate both came in handy! I entered the beginner class and went out for a practice lap... but found my way back to the pits after about a mile, thinking that I needed to save my energy. Track was wet and slippery, but not real technical... at least the part I saw. I was pretty worried about being able to ride for two hours, so my main goal was to finish. Finishing in front of one other rider would be icing on the cake.

Lined up and noticed there were a LOT of guys in my class. Got a mid-pack start and just tried to do my best... passed a couple guys and got passed a couple of times by guys in my class. Only fell down once in the "endurocross" section and got stuck once in a mud hole... but by golly I finished that race! The camelbak really helped a lot.

Ended up finding out that there were 35 guys in my class and I finished 21st! That made my day! What an experience... the next day I was sore in places I didn't know could even get sore. All in all It was a great time though... hope to ride another one before the season is over!

• Like 5

It was a real eye opener... I'll tell you that! I always had a lot of respect for guys that ride them, but I have a lot more now. Trying to hang with faster riders that passed me, there was no way.

I was just proud to finish. Got real tired mid way about the 3rd lap, got a second wind though and felt pretty good. 4th lap I came through scoring at 1:50 and just told myself... "one more lap"! Some of the faster riders were coming by me by that time, but I ended up letting a guy in my class by about 2/3rds through the lap! Of course that made me wick up the throttle a little... then about 3 minutes later he got crossed up in some tricky roots and went down... my lucky day! I slipped around him and got on the gas and never looked back. Kind of a 3rd wind I guess. I was just thrilled to finally get the guts to show up and sign up... but then to finish the whole 2 hours+ in something other than last place, I was grinning ear to ear for the rest of the day!

• Like 1

It was a real eye opener... I'll tell you that! I always had a lot of respect for guys that ride them, but I have a lot more now. Trying to hang with faster riders that passed me, there was no way.

I was just proud to finish. Got real tired mid way about the 3rd lap, got a second wind though and felt pretty good. 4th lap I came through scoring at 1:50 and just told myself... "one more lap"! Some of the faster riders were coming by me by that time, but I ended up letting a guy in my class by about 2/3rds through the lap! Of course that made me wick up the throttle a little... then about 3 minutes later he got crossed up in some tricky roots and went down... my lucky day! I slipped around him and got on the gas and never looked back. Kind of a 3rd wind I guess. I was just thrilled to finally get the guts to show up and sign up... but then to finish the whole 2 hours+ in something other than last place, I was grinning ear to ear for the rest of the day!

and the racing bug claims another victim... :thumbsup:

what part of ks are you from? what series did you race in?

I live in the Topeka area and raced with the Forward Motion series (FMHSC) down at Melvern. They advertised it as a "beginner friendly" course, not too technical... so i thought it was a good place to start. Might have spoiled me a bit... easy course, rain the day before, not too dusty or muddy, temps in the 70's... perfect day for a ride!

They have another close one on Nov 3rd south of Topeka at Carbondale... I might try to race again down there.

cool, ya I was gonna say a Missouri series, the more series is a fun and friendly series but they'd all be quite a drive for you. racemore.net is there site, there last race this years  this weekend near Sedalia,mo

and the racing bug claims another victim... :thumbsup:

Yeah... I've been out polishing, cleaning, lubing... talking about new tires... getting the old bike ready for more action!

cool, ya I was gonna say a Missouri series, the more series is a fun and friendly series but they'd all be quite a drive for you. racemore.net is there site, there last race this years  this weekend near Sedalia,mo

I'll have to check out their schedule for next year... I hear those MO races can be a little rough though!

I've raced a few more series, not to bad, I had fun,   get in the hillbilly grand prix series and its more technical and tough lol, there sites hillbillygp.com its a winter seriers

Yeah... I've been out polishing, cleaning, lubing... talking about new tires... getting the old bike ready for more action!

Congrats on your great finish. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

awesome start to your hare scrambles career!!

i still remember my first hare scramble...... the green flag dropped and i pulled a holeshot and took off like it was a five lap motocross race!!! needless to say 15 minutes into the race i started working my way to the back of the pack. lol  12 years later and contless races aletr i still pretty much to the same thing!!   lmao

• Like 1

Are you working out or training at all? I had been all summer to race a hare scramble at unadilla half an hour in I was so tired and ended up breaking a clutch lever and had to half push my bike back to the pits...

awesome start to your hare scrambles career!!

i still remember my first hare scramble...... the green flag dropped and i pulled a holeshot and took off like it was a five lap motocross race!!! needless to say 15 minutes into the race i started working my way to the back of the pack. lol  12 years later and contless races aletr i still pretty much to the same thing!!   lmao

I was very timid at the start... being lined up with 35 guys that had all done this before! I had the magic button and kind of leisurely got a halfway decent start. I may try a little harder next time!

Are you working out or training at all? I had been all summer to race a hare scramble at unadilla half an hour in I was so tired and ended up breaking a clutch lever and had to half push my bike back to the pits...

I really need to. I had a nasty high side racing flattrack a couple years ago and had to quit working out... never been a big workout enthusiast, but I was doing a little routine every other day at the time.  I would like to get back to it. I did quit smoking about 3 months ago and I attribute my ability to finish the race to having quit. I never pushed my self to the limits very often in the race becuase I was so afraid of not being physically capable of riding for 2 hours. I may be a bit more aggressive next race, but I may fade out quicker if I do!!

I really need to. I had a nasty high side racing flattrack a couple years ago and had to quit working out... never been a big workout enthusiast, but I was doing a little routine every other day at the time. I would like to get back to it. I did quit smoking about 3 months ago and I attribute my ability to finish the race to having quit. I never pushed my self to the limits very often in the race becuase I was so afraid of not being physically capable of riding for 2 hours. I may be a bit more aggressive next race, but I may fade out quicker if I do!!

Good to hear! Good luck man! This winter I'm going to start a harder training routine and hope next season goes as planned

I hope you make it out to Milford Lake this Sunday.Weather and conditions should be great.FMHSC# 1062 I'll be there.

I don't think I can make it to Milford... but good luck!! I've heard it has some nice hills and I love big hills. Me and the neighbor are going to shoot for Carbondale... I just hope the weather holds up for it. This time of year in KS it can be 80 degrees or it can be 20 degrees... whatever the wind blows in!

Good luck!