New to the 250r starting

Bought a 2007 crf250r ... head work has been done, new rings, etc. New plug ... found the secret to start it the first time, but when it stalls ... it never wants to crank back up. Is there a secret to these finnicky beast?

well when does it stall and then is hard to start? like right after you first start or is it hard to start after youve been riding it for awhile and you accidentaly stall it.   if its after it been ridden for a little bit try the hotstart

Bought a 2007 crf250r ... head work has been done, new rings, etc. New plug ... found the secret to start it the first time, but when it stalls ... it never wants to crank back up. Is there a secret to these finnicky beast?

Been trying to get the same thing figured out with mine.    If I shut it off when its hot, I can fire it back up instantly no worries. However if it sits a couple minutes, then I may as well wait for it to cool off as it will get troublesome before.

However, if I stall after its hot......can usually be hell-acious. 

my 2013 is almost impossible to start it after i stall it, but every other time it starts first or second kick

If it stalls and is hot after riding for a long time, it is fickle ... I am slowly finding tips on how to get it running agian. In the meantime I was roll starting which now I see is horrible for the bike ... I will try the half throttle to allow more O2 in when it's hot ... and see if that works. My 230 electric start buddies just roll on, shaking their heads ... hmmm, is kick start to save weight for racing? Cause once I am started and pass them they no laugh no more.

Haha! The first offroad bike I road was the 230, fun and super easy to ride for a beginner! Moved straight and bought my 250R within a couple weeks after that little taste.

Ironically here is a recent hot topic on kickstarts vs E-start:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1048353-do-we-really-need-kick-starter-any-more/

I think the general consensus is that the pounding an offroad bike takes mean that E-Start can sometimes be at a durability disadvantage vs the roadgoing motorcycles that have been using them for decades as the norm.

Thanks for all the advice ... gonna try some of this tonight.

How did the bike start for you?      If you notice here on the front page of this forum section there are 2 more starting related topics, so you are not in the boat alone! These First gen modern/watercooled 4T bikes have earned themselves quite a rep for tricky starting.

I got to ride my bike for a quick spin yesterday evening before the rain came in, and it started like a champ after being on the stand for a couple weeks waiting for new steering stem bearings.  I even shut it off while hot just to try restart and no worries.  

I do think most of it comes down to getting "in synch" with the bike itself.   For me all I did yesterday was turn the fuel on, gave the throttle a couple half twists, gently move the starter till it stiffened up...then gave it a good whack and "brrraaaaaaaaappp" it went. 

Yes, I think instead of dating this bike, I need to commit. And learn her nature. Starting has been better with the helpful notes on this post. You guys have been so helpful and it's good to know the boat has more sailors.

Hearing the "tink" is the key in the starting.

when you stall a hot crf250 and it want crank back up.......just cut the gas valve off and it should fire 4-5 kicks then cut it back on

That last one is interesting "cut the gas valve off"... isn't clear what that would do but pass time. The carb is still full of gas and they don't pull that much to cause a leaning. they'll run a long time on a bowl of gas....just interesting. 

Rob I think you hit on the head when you said you need to get to know her personality. Sometimes mine likes just a little bit of a steady hold on the throttle just off of idle and it'll fire right up. Especially if it was killed, tipped over or hot, it needs a little air. Careful not to pump it. Anymore throttle than that and I've never got mine to fire up. And its not always the same, it depends, on what I'm not sure. If it doesn't start with no throttle, then I try just slightly off of idle, just about always works. 

I've been on rides many times where mine didn't start in the first couple of kicks and someone will see me tweek the throttle a little and they usually say "Don't touch the throttle! Take your hand off of it." One kick and it fires up. I just say "They all have their own personalities." Usually its a guy on a two stroke giving advice on how to start a four stroke. :) we've had 5 bikes and this has worked on most of them. Never have used a hot start button. Matter of fact I think the cable was stuck on my 05, never did fix it, still have it today. 

I love fuel injection!! I think they are better starting in general. 

Yeah, turning the gas off doesn't do much for the short term as that whole carb feed line is full as well as the bowl, so it's just one of those things that's likely just a coincidence...

Edited by Eddie8v

That last one is interesting "cut the gas valve off"... isn't clear what that would do but pass time. The carb is still full of gas and they don't pull that much to cause a leaning. they'll run a long time on a bowl of gas....just interesting. 

really, i maybe wrong and i dissagree because i know it works for my bike ......so you dont think that when you completely close off a gravity fed fuel source to a carb that is vented thru the gas tank cap that it want make any difference in the fuel pressure or amount of fuel going thru the carb when kick starting until the bowl is empty.......i would really like to hear if this is true from one of the experts on here before i can grasp your theory as well

Edited by bluedawg

I doubt it. The bowl is vented to the atmosphere so the pressure in the bowl isn't going to change, the needle valve should be closed and relative to the amount used by the engine during start up, there is A LOT of gas in the bowl and the fuel line. Any fuel that leaves the bowl has to go to the cylinder. Something else is allowing your bike to start other than turning off the gas. 

Next time it happens, just sit there for 1 - 2 minutes and then try to start it. 

When I park my bike with carbs for a long period of time, I turn the gas off and let them run until they are run out of gas to "drain" the carb. They'll run a looong time before they shutoff, I can ride around the yard a few times and they will still be running. 

Just pull the fkn hot start, hold the throttle open completely (don't blip it) and kick slowly a few times to clear out the cylinder, then start normally.

You guys act as if this stuff is voodoo, it isn't, you just need to clear the gas/vapor out of the cylinder, the next time someone makes a thread like this i'm going to kick them in the nuts.

Carbs aren't a mystery, they have been used for 100 years, you just need to spend 10 minutes educating yourselves on how they work.

BTW I tied a rubber band around my exhaust and now my bike starts better.

Just pull the fkn hot start, hold the throttle open completely (don't blip it) and kick slowly a few times to clear out the cylinder, then start normally.

You guys act as if this stuff is voodoo, it isn't, you just need to clear the gas/vapor out of the cylinder, the next time someone makes a thread like this i'm going to kick them in the nuts.

Carbs aren't a mystery, they have been used for 100 years, you just need to spend 10 minutes educating yourselves on how they work.

BTW I tied a rubber band around my exhaust and now my bike starts better.

^^^^ A little crude but made me lol :lol:

:lame:

Edited by bluedawg

Make sure your hot start plunger works properly. As mudguy said, they are pretty straightforward and shouldn't be so hard to start

Edited by dirtydrew

I never use the fkg hot start and I never hold the throttle wide open to clear the "vapors" by having the accelerator pump, pump in raw gas and suck in more gas. Great idea.