Sign in to follow this  

Tires for rocks and other hard ground

My 230F's tires are old and rock hard. They have a lot of tread/knobs left but have no traction. So I need new ones, and hope the folks here can offer some suggestions of brands and models. Price is really not as important as traction to me.

I live in South Eastern PA, and have recently made two trips down to the Hatfield-McCoy trail system in West Virginia. Nearly all of the places that I've seen to ride are in foot hills or actual mountains of the Appalachians. The trails are rock with some dirt between the rocks. The dirt seems to be mostly clay or a mixture of clay with coal.  When the dirt is wet, its really slippery. When its dry, its hard, the knobby leaves very little evidence it has been there.

I am looking for a "hard terrain" tire (ones with really soft compounds).

Do I need to stay with the stock sizes (100/100-18 and 80/100-21) or can I use wider tires and still have clearance?

Brands? Models? etc.?

Thanks

Pat

Edited by pat22043

I'm riding the same stuff so I know what you're looking for.

I'm currently using a shinko intermediate on the rear (not actually sure on the specific model at the moment since the thing is covered in mud from yesterday's ride, think it's a 523). It is doing great so far.

I took Rick Ramsey's advise and went with the IRC trials tires. http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF230Fmods.htm#tires They are great. I pretty much exclusively ride rocky terrain (Brown Mtn NC, Carolina Adventure World, Brimstone TN) and they really soften things up. As everyone will tell you though, the tires cannot withstand high heat and will start to melt and wear quickly on pavement. One thing to note about the tire size that Rick called out on this website - it will raise your seat up at least an inch, if not more. I've had to adjust my riding style now that the bike is taller. Not a big deal, although it's worth mentioning. I'm considering getting a CRF150 shock linkage to lower her down a bit.

i would recommend a good trials tire.

they stick to rock like glue (wet or dry) and last much longer than knobs.

Where I come from if you find a rock it means somebody put it there. We got mud and sand here in the Mississippi River bottoms. So my love for my new Bridgestone 203/204 tires would be of no use to you. Sounds like the trials tire would be your best bet for the rocks. Ride with a guy from Colorado originally and he still runs a trials tire on the rear and still out runs us until we get to a creek crossing.

Interesting, Rick talks about 18 inch tires. My initial post said my CRF230F has a 19" rear wheel. I was wrong, its an 100/100-18

If you're on an 18" wheel I would give a trials tire a try. Worst case you don't like it. My rear is a 19" and while 19" trials tires exist a knobby seems safer in that size. I've got some cheap shinko trials tires on a ttr125 and that thing is like a billy goat with those tires (use the ttr to cut trails).