Need help registering a bike in MA

What bike is it?

When you register a bike for offroad only all you need is proof of ownership via title or bill of sale. A spark arrestor is not necessary to get it registered because no one actually looks over the bike prior. It is possible for an EP officer to check and fine you if you don't have one, but I've never had an officer do anything except look at my numbers.

I went to the office in Worcester and it took all of 20 minutes. You pay with CHECK ONLY. No cash. And I believe no credit. Just bring CHECKS. It is $40 for two years. At the end of the process they give you two sets of stickers. No plates anymore. The state is too damn cheap.

The stickers are said to go on the shrouds but mine are on the side plates because I didnt want to mess up the graphics. Some guys put them on the forks right under the triple tree. They said it is legal that way so whatever you feel like doing. I had an officer give me crap for mine on the side plates but since then haven't had one other officer say anything. Probably ran into 5-7 since.

Edit: If you look at my picture above you can see where I have my stickers on the sides.

Edited by YZ2Smoker98

What bike is it?When you register a bike for offroad only all you need is proof of ownership via title or bill of sale. A spark arrestor is not necessary to get it registered because no one actually looks over the bike prior. It is possible for an EP officer to check and fine you if you don't have one, but I've never had an officer do anything except look at my numbers. I went to the office in Worcester and it took all of 20 minutes. You pay with CHECK ONLY. No cash. And I believe no credit. Just bring CHECKS. It is $40 for two years. At the end of the process they give you two sets of stickers. No plates anymore. The state is too damn cheap. The stickers are said to go on the shrouds but mine are on the side plates because I didnt want to mess up the graphics. Some guys put them on the forks right under the triple tree. They said it is legal that way so whatever you feel like doing. I had an officer give me crap for mine on the side plates but since then haven't had one other officer say anything. Probably ran into 5-7 since.Edit: If you look at my picture above you can see where I have my stickers on the sides.

I bought the 2001cr250 in a box, I didn't get a bill of sale or anything and that was years ago what can I do

ATVs, Snowmobiles-Required Documents

1. Bill of Sale (name and address of seller).
  2. Proof of payment of sales tax (ST-6 or ST-6E). Note - To pay your sales tax online, visit the Department of Revenue Website.
  3. Serial Number (ATV- 17 characters, found on the frame).
  4. Required fees and payment method.
  5. Properly completed and signed application icon_doc_pdf.png .

Please note -

• If the ATV or snowmobile is purchased new, a copy of the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MSO) is required.
  • Sales tax is due on the 20th day of the following month from date of purchase.
  • Massachusetts sales tax is now payable online. To pay your sales tax online, visit the Department of Revenue Website or call the Department of Revenue at (800) 392-6089.

I went about 2 weeks ago to the reg in Hyannis, you can't go to any dmv. I paid sales tax online using same info that was on my bill of sale that I made up because I couldnt find my original.

Chris

Edited by jester125

Hi I don't mean to steal this thread but it is along the same lines. I am purchasing a 94 xr250r that I would like to get registered for the road in MA. The seller does not have a cert of origin though. Is the bike old enough that once I install my lights and horn it just needs a visual inspection. I searched on the forums and could find the answer. So thank you in advance for any help. On a side note..where are some good places to woods ride near northbourgh

YOU WILL NOT GET IT REGISTERED FOR STREET IN MA. WITHOUT EITHER TITLE,OR CERT. OF ORIGIN AND PROOF PREVIOUS OWNER PAID SALES TAX.

That's not true, it just takes longer as you will have to apply for a new one after a search of your bike. You don't have to prove the first owner paid sales tax as some states don't collect it. You had 20 days to pay yours or pay a fine in mass. Most will I give up as it is rather hard and the state is not much help.

Off road will only need bill of sale and it can be hand written and you can pay sales tax on line,first time reg. will need to be done in person.

That's not true, it just takes longer as you will have to apply for a new one after a search of your bike. You don't have to prove the first owner paid sales tax as some states don't collect it. You had 20 days to pay yours or pay a fine in mass. Most will I give up as it is rather hard and the state is not much help.

Off road will only need bill of sale and it can be hand written and you can pay sales tax on line,first time reg. will need to be done in person.

About right. For both my YZ and RM I just had a piece of notebook paper. Wrote "I____sell____to____for this amount____. VIN#____on the day of____." Both sign it Hand cash over. Done. Now that wasn't exactly what was written but close. Also include DL# if possible. Pretty simple.