Honest Opinions Needed -re valve or not?

Bought myself a used '07 RM125 to ride since work consumes most if my life now days. Suspension is set up for a 130lb kid and I'm 160 w/o gear on. Fork seals were shot when I bought the bike and I'm 90% sure ALL fork oil has leaked out.

I am an intermediate c rider, although I don't plan on racing anymore. I do however ride mostly tracks and enjoy laying down some serious "hard" practice laps along with the occasional off road/WORCS style riding with friends out in the hills hitting big booters. I have a very aggressive riding style and pride myself on proper riding technique.

My question is- should I waste the $900 on new springs and re-valve for my bike or do any of you think that proper springs and fresh oil will suffice in order to feel COMFORTABLE on the bike? I've had a re valve done once before on my old '09 kx250f and did notice a big difference in the stability and handling if the bike over the bone stock suspension, but I have never tried just buying proper springs and setting up stock suspension so I don't know the difference between the two. I also don't know if the current suspension has a re valve already installed?

Impossible to accurately judge the valving until you install proper springs, new oil, etc. Then evaluate the action and make a decision regarding the valving. Every moment riding the bike in the state you describe is causing more damage. Service the shock also or its bad action will also cause a negative effect on the forks. Then ride the bike making oil level and  clicker adjustments until you are sure what you need. If you do not know EXACTLY what you need to correct, how can you tell a tuner what you need? A revalve should be the very LAST action you take. Many revalves are like back surgery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,expensive failure! 

Edited by YHGEORGE

I have not ridden the bike aside from testing riding it up the street when I bought it. It needs a few parts and I'm in the process if completely tearing it down and building it back up, replacing worn parts. I went ahead and just ordered a box from FC to have new springs and a re build done. Once they tear everything apart and give me an exact quote on how much I'm looking at (ballpark was $650 low end to $800 high end) I'll decide if I just want to spend the extra $250 on a revalve. If the build ends up being cheap ill just stick with that, but if I'm gonna end up paying almost a grand just to replace worn parts I might as well spend a little more to get a revalve done I guess.

I suggest getting quotes from a few other tuners. AZ has several, Stillwell being a great one. FC plays games with the numbers.

Ride JBI did my KTM suspension and I love it.  They are based in Chandler, AZ.  (www.RideJBI.com

Sorry guys, forgot to mention I moved to NW North Dakota for the next few months for work, so shipping my stuff out is the only means I have to have services preformed. I've already ordered a box from FC, however after hearing many people say they are notorious for replacing parts that may still be useable to "bump" the price up, I'm considering going with RG3 or MB1 instead.

Whatever you do, have a personal talk with the tuner before you decide. I suggest at least two or more tuner interviews to be sure you are comfortable with the decision. My experience is the bigger the name, the less I want to use them.

Bought myself a used '07 RM125 to ride since work consumes most if my life now days. Suspension is set up for a 130lb kid and I'm 160 w/o gear on. Fork seals were shot when I bought the bike and I'm 90% sure ALL fork oil has leaked out.

I am an intermediate c rider, although I don't plan on racing anymore. I do however ride mostly tracks and enjoy laying down some serious "hard" practice laps along with the occasional off road/WORCS style riding with friends out in the hills hitting big booters. I have a very aggressive riding style and pride myself on proper riding technique.

My question is- should I waste the $900 on new springs and re-valve for my bike or do any of you think that proper springs and fresh oil will suffice in order to feel COMFORTABLE on the bike? I've had a re valve done once before on my old '09 kx250f and did notice a big difference in the stability and handling if the bike over the bone stock suspension, but I have never tried just buying proper springs and setting up stock suspension so I don't know the difference between the two. I also don't know if the current suspension has a re valve already installed?

You can buy a nice used set of 47MM showa forks for like $200 on ebay - if the previous guy messed with them, i'd just buy another stock pair to start with. At 160 you should be fairly comfortable on stock springs.

Edited by mudguy

Sorry guys, forgot to mention I moved to NW North Dakota for the next few months for work, so shipping my stuff out is the only means I have to have services preformed. I've already ordered a box from FC, however after hearing many people say they are notorious for replacing parts that may still be useable to "bump" the price up, I'm considering going with RG3 or MB1 instead.

In my experience all the companies above will replace the bushings, etc. Wether or not they need to be replaced is debatable.  

Fc seem to be able to make the final bill almost double , loads of threads on it

All great advice.  I'd start w/ a reasonably priced service & ride it - see what ya got.

For many people, just springs and fresh (quality) oil will improve the bike.  In many cases, the older the bike, the better the stock stuff can be improved with a revalve simply because R&D has improved on the OEM models each year.

$650-800 for a rebuild and springs seems pretty steep.

If you'd like to send your stuff to Race Tech, I can get you setup with the TTalk 20% off discount and get you recommended spring rates and a quote for a rebuild with a breakdown of wear parts.  Also, if we replace anything, you'll get your old ones back.  I mention that simply because as a poster above said, many tuners out there will replace perfectly fine parts, if we replace it, we want you to see why we replaced it.

chris@racetech.com and I will help get you setup.

I would send it to MB1.. They did a awesome job on mine...

Well I ended up calling a friend who is an ama licensed pro and runs the Arizona JM Suspension franchise. He did my re valve last time, but I assumed he was too busy racing to do any work, but I figured I'd ask and turns out he is going to do the rebuild for me at a good price so I'm happy. I can tune with him as well if I ever go riding, which is rarely, but the customer service and honest opinions from a friend is unbeatable. Thanks for all the great replies though guys! I appreciate the feedback

Well I ended up calling a friend who is an ama licensed pro and runs the Arizona JM Suspension franchise. He did my re valve last time, but I assumed he was too busy racing to do any work, but I figured I'd ask and turns out he is going to do the rebuild for me at a good price so I'm happy. I can tune with him as well if I ever go riding, which is rarely, but the customer service and honest opinions from a friend is unbeatable. Thanks for all the great replies though guys! I appreciate the feedback

Best choice by far! :thumbsup:

***UPDATE*** -

Here's a personal testimony regarding my FACTORY CONNECTION experience.

So I decided to test the waters with FC before having my suspension sent to my buddy, just to see if they were straight with me. Their "high end" quote, if you read the first post, was in the $700 range for a rebuild. Remember that number.

So I send my suspension to them. Don't hear ANYTHING for two weeks. So I decide to call and check, and low and behold they had received my package a week ago, but forgot to call me. STRIKE ONE. Then the rep tells me they had disassembled everything and checked it out and he had some "bad news". According to them, every single part on both the forks and shock was damaged and needed to be replaced (including the inner fork tubes and shock rod) at a cool cost of $1,780. Yes, the cost to replace the "worn" parts on my setup was going to cost more than I bought the whole bike for. STRIKE TWO. I immediately declined in which he asked if he could discuss something with the guys working on my setup and call me right back. I said sure, and 15 minutes later he calls back and tells me he has good news. He was going to help me out and "give" me 10% off the labor and 15% off the parts, which would bring my total down to $1,300. Seemed like a nice gesture, but of course I said no thanks since I was already planning to send my stuff to my buddy to see if all this stuff hey had told me was true or not. So I declined and had him send my suspension to my "new address" (aka my buddies address). He received my stuff and tore it apart and called me to tell me the fork tubes were PERFECTLY FINE , as was the shock rod and about 8 other pricey items that FC wanted to replace because they were "unusable". STRIKE THREE!

Had my buddy rebuild front and rear with new springs and seals and a few other parts for a grand total of $480. So for what it's worth to anyone considering using FC, beware. I'm sure there are people on here that would argue that they have done them right and been great, but any company that gives me the run around and lies to the customer, trying to squeeze a pretty penny out of me, is junk IMHO. Take it for what is worth, but that's my review.

***UPDATE*** -

Here's a personal testimony regarding my FACTORY CONNECTION experience.

So I decided to test the waters with FC before having my suspension sent to my buddy, just to see if they were straight with me. Their "high end" quote, if you read the first post, was in the $700 range for a rebuild. Remember that number.

So I send my suspension to them. Don't hear ANYTHING for two weeks. So I decide to call and check, and low and behold they had received my package a week ago, but forgot to call me. STRIKE ONE. Then the rep tells me they had disassembled everything and checked it out and he had some "bad news". According to them, every single part on both the forks and shock was damaged and needed to be replaced (including the inner fork tubes and shock rod) at a cool cost of $1,780. Yes, the cost to replace the "worn" parts on my setup was going to cost more than I bought the whole bike for. STRIKE TWO. I immediately declined in which he asked if he could discuss something with the guys working on my setup and call me right back. I said sure, and 15 minutes later he calls back and tells me he has good news. He was going to help me out and "give" me 10% off the labor and 15% off the parts, which would bring my total down to $1,300. Seemed like a nice gesture, but of course I said no thanks since I was already planning to send my stuff to my buddy to see if all this stuff hey had told me was true or not. So I declined and had him send my suspension to my "new address" (aka my buddies address). He received my stuff and tore it apart and called me to tell me the fork tubes were PERFECTLY FINE , as was the shock rod and about 8 other pricey items that FC wanted to replace because they were "unusable". STRIKE THREE!

Had my buddy rebuild front and rear with new springs and seals and a few other parts for a grand total of $480. So for what it's worth to anyone considering using FC, beware. I'm sure there are people on here that would argue that they have done them right and been great, but any company that gives me the run around and lies to the customer, trying to squeeze a pretty penny out of me, is junk IMHO. Take it for what is worth, but that's my review.

That quote is ridiculous.

I agree that this happens more often than it should. Ethics are so important.

That being said a friends son brought his bike to me for a full race set up semi pro. I was thinking in the range of $700.

06 Honda was never serviced and I sent him out of here for $1300. Retail cost would have been over $1700 and FC cost more 2k or better. I still felt bad.

Both Showa damper rods / cartridges needed to be replaced just for starters.

I feel bad when this happens but it is what it is. Regarding the cost of the set up. If your just doing a shim stack shuffle then I understand $7 to $800 being too much as this should be in the $400 to $500 range with service and high end parts. But what if you are spending 10 hours on the suspension and going much deeper. Not assembly line work with a 35% range of specificity but specific individual high end work without jewelry.

$900 is a good range to be in with springs, parts labor etc.

In this scenario you get what you pay for if you are dealing with the right entity.

same happened to me a few years back with them on my yzf450...