New to thumpers.....

Top of the day to all..

Out of the country presently but heading back soon. Not on a thumper yet but I will be as soon as I can find the one I want. Been riding for decades and presently have two V-twins and a three cylinder. Seems to me that the KLR or the DR are the way to go. Any suggestions, rumors, stories or outright lies anybody wants to share with me so I don't get the wrong bike would be good. Hope all is well there...

Back to the US soon......

Ken

KLR is more popular, more refined,more options, etc.

Have a first gen. KLR650. Great bike but heavy off-road, especially on long steep knarly downhills. Good for the street. DR is like 30# lighter, haven't ridden one.

Mike

What do you want the bike for? If off roading then one of the Honda's is a better choice. 650L  is the factory dual sport but the 650R is the  off road big bore of choice (from the Japaneses builders). 

Since you've got twins (my love)  and a triple  I'm guessing you aren't looking for another street bike.  ??

Edited by MindBlower

I have a '12 KLR 650. I chose it over the DR because I don't ride it off road much as I have a Dirt Bike for that. I went with the KLR because it has decent street manners, big gas tank, it can haul a lot of stuff, and its tried and true design and can still run easy trails and back country dirt roads. I am very happy with it.

KLR is more popular, more refined,more options, etc.

Precisely what I was thinking. Got a weakness for farkles. Seems to be plenty available.

What do you want the bike for? If off roading then one of the Honda's is a better choice. 650L  is the factory dual sport but the 650R is the  off road big bore of choice (from the Japaneses builders). 

Since you've got twins (my love)  and a triple  I'm guessing you aren't looking for another street bike.  ??

Mostly adventure type of riding. Thought about the Honda but seems I recall they have a smaller tank or something crazy like that. Got a weakness for lot'sa gas on board within reason. A minimum of 200 miles on a tank is good. More is better. Actually I am looking for another street bike. I realize a man can only ride one at once but more in the garage is better when they are all different types. Got two V-Twins, one going the right way and one going the other way. Looking for another going the right way but in a touring model.

I have a '12 KLR 650. I chose it over the DR because I don't ride it off road much as I have a Dirt Bike for that. I went with the KLR because it has decent street manners, big gas tank, it can haul a lot of stuff, and its tried and true design and can still run easy trails and back country dirt roads. I am very happy with it.

Exactly what I'm looking for. If I wanted an off road racer, it would be something far smaller and lighter and probably making more power than the KLR. Rather have a bike that can be ridden long distances and taken off the beaten trail a little ways when the mood strikes. I kinda like farm tractor performance and reliability. I would like to buy a new one but really think they look better before they went to the blacked out wheels...my thoughts anyway. I would like to find a 10 or 11 model to get the aluminum wheels.

Thanks all for the replies..Glad to see them. I'm outta the US for a bit longer so talking bikes is a good thing for me and way to get my mind back to home..

Ride safe all...

Ken

Sounds like you're the KLR type, might as well get one. Decent dual sport.

Top of the day to all..

Out of the country presently but heading back soon. Not on a thumper yet but I will be as soon as I can find the one I want. Been riding for decades and presently have two V-twins and a three cylinder. Seems to me that the KLR or the DR are the way to go. Any suggestions, rumors, stories or outright lies anybody wants to share with me so I don't get the wrong bike would be good. Hope all is well there...

Back to the US soon......

Ken

At 5'8"/30" inseam, I like the DR better, even on the road. If you're bigger than 6'/200lb though, or if you carry a passenger a LOT, you may prefer a more-spacious bike like the KLR, or even a multi-cylinder DL, Tiger 800XC, F800GS, or CB500X.

There are several other reasons I prefer the DR over the KLR too. The DR typically vibes less at 70MPH+, it isn't known for burning oil, the valves are screw/locknut so you can adjust them in the middle of a long expedition, and the air/oil-cooling works great. The DR seems peppier to me, with aftermarket parts available to build the DR to over 50WHP (Stock DR and KLR power is around 35WHP.). The DR responds well to even minor changes, such as jetting or a front knob. Windscreens, seats, and 400+ miles of fuel range are easy to come by for the DR too, while many KLR owners end up replacing their lauded stock parts anyway.

When you want to ride dirt/BFE, the current DR is around 367lb curb, and it can be ridden like a chunky dirtbike by even unskilled riders. The current KLR is considerably heavier, more complicated, and more prone to drop damage. The DR's weight bias is also shifted more to the rear than the KLR's, so the front end comes up over obstacles easier, and it tends to not plow as badly in mud or sand. I haven't noticed any downside to this bias on the interstate. My DR is steady at any speed, even with an IRC TR8 front knob and a Kenda K270 rear semi-knob. The wind coming over the shroud is clean, instead of turbulent.

Any of the jap 650 dualsports have a decent aftermarket these days. Shying away from an XR650L because it has a small stock tank seems silly to me. There are better reasons to choose something else for an adv dualsport. A small OEM tank isn't anywhere near the top of the list, as long as the aftermarket has affordable alternatives. The weak subframe, sky-high seat, weak battery box, and lack of adequate oil and/or cooling in the head would be my concerns with the XRL over long distances of commuting and offroad abuse.

Either the DR or KLR can easily haul enough luggage for a 2up RTW trip. The KLR is likely more popular for long-distance travel because it has had aftermarket support for a longer time than most other current dualsports. Don't believe that the aftermarket isn't quick enough and varied enough to take even a CRF250L RTW these days though, and that bike has only been offered for about a year now. The aftermarket moves MUCH quicker these days. The adv aftermarket for the DR has come a long way in the last few years, and many people are now choosing it over the KLR, for several reasons.

Edited by Kommando

When I decided to sell my WR450, DR and KLR were both on my radar, first choice was a DR I found, nicely set up. By the time I sold the WR it was gone, and the first acceptable bike available was an "07 KLR. With proper suspension, in my case RaceTech, it does better off road than it has any right to. But not for a beginner, technique matters a lot.

Mike