CRF450X 2010 rebuild (vavle train options?)

Hey Guys,

After a faultless 2 years and 150 hours later on my 450x i have decided its time for a freshen up

after weeks of trying to decide what components to use this is what i have come up with and ordered:

-piston and rings: (TRX Piston and rings)

1x 13011-HP1-306 RINGS

1X 13101-HP1-600 PISTON

1X 13111-MEN-730 PIN

2X 13112-MAT-000 CLIPS

1X 06113-MEY-670 KIT –A

1X 06114-MEN-670 KIT-B

-Balance shaft and bearings:

(recommended to inspect as needle roller bearing known to wear balance shaft causing play in shaft, choose to replace)

13420-MEY-670 SHAFT, BALANCER

91004-MEB-671 BEARING, SPECIAL ROLLER

91005-MEB-671 BEARING, RADIAL BALL (6003)

Cylinder head: (this is where im undecided, but for sure i am going to run the OEM 08 450R cam shaft)

14110-MEN-A10 CAMSHAFT (08 450R)

14711-MEY-670 VALVE, IN (stock replacment)

14731-MEB-670 LIFTER, VALVE

14751-MEB-670 SPRING, IN. VALVE

14771-MEB-670 RETAINER, IN. VALVE SPRING

14775-KGB-610 SEAT, VALVE SPRING

14781-MEB-670 COTTER, VALVE

At this point all the above is on its way, an i have only order both complete intake valve assemblys

really what im looking for is some recomendations on how i should go about freshening up my cylinder head?

Cylinder head condition:

after 2 years and a hard but well looked after 150 hours i had no dramas at all clearances check offen:

-exhaust side still within spec never had to adjust

-intake at 120 hours ever so slightly tightend up just enough to make a adjustment now at 150 hours intake clearance measured at .07mm (.16mm spec) im pretty sure i could shim this out but have choose to give it a new lease on life while its still going strong and im happy to accept 150 hours as a life span of the oem valves

so the big question knowing the parts and the history behind this cylinder head what are my options?

Im tempted to just replace the valve train with stock components as 150 hours isnt to bad but will they hold up with the 450R cam?

titanium or stainless?

OEM or Aftermarket?

whats the installed hight spec for intake valve? (wanting to check valve seat wear but dont have specs)

Other Mods:

HRC engine protection gaurds and odds and ends (bike was originally the limited white hrc model)

full pro curuit jcr system

suspention done by MPE

J D jetkit

R&D flex jet mixute screw

IMS 3.2 tank

and acouple more

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Matt Clark

Personally, I would swap out the intakes for either the TRX steel or the Kibblewhites SS.

The OEM Titanium just aren't reliable enough (although you've got a good service life out of them).

They will all perform well with the 08 R cam.

Just my 2 cents...

I have one head done at Fastheads in UT and one done at AS Racing.  I'm about to send in one for a third 450x and will probably go with AS.  Those guys regularly do race and high mileage Baja bikes, our style of riding.  Fastheads seem more race and performance oriented.  They BOTH have been flawless so far so absolutely no complaints with either company.

$330 with TRX valves seems pretty hard to beat at AS, just need about $50 for gaskets and any piston/rings you choose.

Good luck and there are pro's out there, no need to re-invent the wheel!  

Oops, just saw your location, carry on

Thanks for the replys

Being down in Australia i have found it hard to find someone with the knowledge on these heads and someone i know will do the job correctly without having to send it overseas

BRMflagstaff, your running TRX stainless valve correct? what sort of hours are u getting out of them? and in what set up, cam, comp, ported or race fuel?

ask krannie he has them in too!

ask krannie he has them in too!

I have them Three....

Hi hrc,

Yes, put in the KW inlet valves and springs - like everyone says they will last heaps longer than the Ti and not expensive either. I put KWs in my '12 early January (no machining just lapped in) - thoses valves have now done 110hrs, runs perefect!

I see your suspension done by MPE - are you in Brissy, do you ride Glasshouse?

Cheers Aussie.

Hi hrc,

Yes, put in the KW inlet valves and springs - like everyone says they will last heaps longer than the Ti and not expensive either. I put KWs in my '12 early January (no machining just lapped in) - thoses valves have now done 110hrs, runs perefect!

I see your suspension done by MPE - are you in Brissy, do you ride Glasshouse?

Cheers Aussie.

Is MPE still based at Beerwah??Edit-nvm found website

I need my rear shock on my 08x done.

Edited by daffy67

Need a head rebuilt for my kids 450X and top end in the riverside area ....its a baja bike so need a good builder ....anyone Thanks

Call Paul at A S Racing.