Frame Scratches...How To Fix

I've been reading through the forums for a while and decided to finally join and ask for HELP.

I have had the 250L for about 3 months now and have been beating the CRAP out of it every weekend.  I am new to dirt riding, but rode street for years on a sport bike.

Anyways, I have dropped the bike every which way.  I have crashed the bike into trees, into sand, into the bushes, into the dirt, into rocks, into the water and into other bikes.  The latest drops were on VERY rocky trails.  I had never hit the actual frame before, but this time I did.  I will try to post pictures but my questions are:

-I am assuming the frame is steel, correct me if I'm wrong.

-The frame looks to be powder coated.  Short of powder coating it again, how can I fix the nasty scratch on the frame?  Where can I get the specific paint for the frame?

-Has anyone worked on this kind of frame and done a similar repair and can offer tips/advice?

Yup.

dont drop it!

Yup.

dont drop it!

I think that's impossible, for me at least.

Yes frame is steel--find some touch up paint the same color--hope you invested in a radiator protector--it's kinda hanging out there w/o one--OH and Welcome to the forum too!!

Edited by USMCVietVet

NH146M Accurate Silver Metallic is the paint code for the frame. ColorRite has it for $40 per can-

Just get one of those sharpie super silver permanent markers haha.

21388-9330-1-3ww-l.jpg

I'll bet Wal-Mart has something close for less $$$$$$$$$$ :ride: :ride:

In all seriousness, the sharpie I posted above will probably work. I use it when I take apart Beamers at work to remember exactly where the 30,000 pieces go back together.

Who would spend $40 on a can of touchup silver for a dirt bike???

Hahaha, maybe someone who spends $50 on an anodized screw!

I'll bet Wal-Mart has something close for less $$$$$$$$$$ :ride: :ride:

Probably after some color matching tests.  $40 is pretty steep for a can of paint.  I'll try to match the color at Home Depot.

In all seriousness, the sharpie I posted above will probably work. I use it when I take apart Beamers at work to remember exactly where the 30,000 pieces go back together.

Maybe just for the looks.  But I will sand, prime and paint so the frame is protected.

Maybe just for the looks. But I will sand, prime and paint so the frame is protected.

How bad are those scratches?

How bad are those scratches?

The spot is about a 3" diameter circle and the silver paint completely gone. It's black where the scratch is.  

I used flat black and called it done. I didn't buy the bike for looks. Okay...I kinda did.

The spot is about a 3" diameter circle and the silver paint completely gone. It's black where the scratch is.

I think I would just try to match paint at a local hardware store. $40.00 a can is crazy.

I used flat black and called it done. I didn't buy the bike for looks. Okay...I kinda did.

Did you sand and prime?  Also, how long since you did it and do you see any rust or paint issues?

I mainly just want to repaint it to protect the steel.  Unprotected steel goes south real quick.

Did you sand and prime?  Also, how long since you did it and do you see any rust or paint issues?

I mainly just want to repaint it to protect the steel.  Unprotected steel goes south real quick.

I scratched the crap out of both sides my frame the first trip out several months ago. I just cleaned it off with some windex and painted it. It'll take rust longer to eat through my frame than I'll own the bike.  :rolleyes:  The paint is holding strong and no signs of rust or and other issue thus far.

I've been reading through the forums for a while and decided to finally join and ask for HELP.

I have had the 250L for about 3 months now and have been beating the CRAP out of it every weekend.  I am new to dirt riding, but rode street for years on a sport bike.

Anyways, I have dropped the bike every which way.  I have crashed the bike into trees, into sand, into the bushes, into the dirt, into rocks, into the water and into other bikes.  The latest drops were on VERY rocky trails.  I had never hit the actual frame before, but this time I did.  I will try to post pictures but my questions are:

-I am assuming the frame is steel, correct me if I'm wrong.

-The frame looks to be powder coated.  Short of powder coating it again, how can I fix the nasty scratch on the frame?  Where can I get the specific paint for the frame?

-Has anyone worked on this kind of frame and done a similar repair and can offer tips/advice?

Sounds like you need one of these ..... 

AXPJ.jpg

AXPK.jpg

AXPL.jpg

I would like to have that one but I happen to have this one ..... 

flatland-racing-skid-plate-crf250l.jpg

I have the cycra one--don't get that POS OK??

I have the cycra one--don't get that POS OK??

Did you get it to fit okay or did you scrap it ?  .... it was the ebay seller that was messed up ... not the plate you bought. I have seen so much stuff listed for the CRF250L on ebay that clearly is NOT !!! ...  :rant:

That little black one I just posted is the $157.00 dollar Moose .... big bucks but ... I like it alot ...  :wub: