Sign in to follow this  

XR650R / CBR600F2 wheel conversion

Has anyone attempted or completed this conversion? I have acquired a set of 92 CBR 600 wheels and from what I gathered at another site, it is totally doable with some customizing.. just lookin for some tips, tricks or part numbers.. thanks

Has anyone attempted or completed this conversion? I have acquired a set of 92 CBR 600 wheels and from what I gathered at another site, it is totally doable with some customizing.. just lookin for some tips, tricks or part numbers.. thanks

I had a set on motard 650L but the original owner did the work. Said it was a fair amount of machine work, but obviously do-able.  They looked fabulous. Had to lose the chain guide and cut off the mounting tab/s on the swingarm to clear the wheel and 160 tire.  Sorry can't help with any details. 

I've found that the 87-90 cbr600 hurricane has a 17mm diameter rear axle which is what mine uses. I have a 600 though. I don't know if that helps any. I did find a massive list of axle diameters on all sorts of different bikes. I'm working on planning out all of the details to do a supermoto conversion on mine.

The hub was really wide, the tire was offset to the right a tad to let the chain clear the swingarm. Still sawed a nice geometric pattern into the side of the 160. (not too deep, but stay 140-150) 

from research, it may not be too hard to do this.. caliper carrier in front, custom spacers front/rear and some machine work on the rear hub to match sprocket to rotor spacing... I'm excited to get this going..

Could you provide any tips you might learn along the way? This is something I plan on doing in the somewhat near future.

from research, it may not be too hard to do this.. caliper carrier in front, custom spacers front/rear and some machine work on the rear hub to match sprocket to rotor spacing... I'm excited to get this going..

Could you provide any tips you might learn along the way? This is something I plan on doing in the somewhat near future.

I stuck CBR wheels into a DRZ without too much hassle. As stated previously

, 1)> a little bit of fiddling to get the sprocket/rim/disc relationship the same as original wheel,

2)>new bearings and seals to match axle to hub,

3)>slide the assembly sideways till the chain/caliper is perfectly aligned and get ya mate with a lathe to machine spacers!

4)> Hit the track.

Sounds easy enough. I have a coworker that should be able to help with that.