XR200R Revving

First want to thank everyone for all the help in getting my bike rebuilt and running. I got it all back together, started it up and it was revving to the moon! I did put on a new throttle cable and was wondering if i am chasing my tail messing with the jetting and air/fuel adjustments and if this could be a problem. How can i check the slack in throttle cable and what are the settings that i should back out the air and fuel/pilot screws on carb at?

If when you replaced the cables you installed the slide in backwards it could cause it to rev high.

Very common.

Fuel screw should be 1 1/2 out to start.

Okay thanks, i was working on my truck tonight and didnt have time to take a look. I will try that tommorow!

I thought that the throttle felt goofy before, like it wasnt twisting all the way. Sure enough pull out the slide switch it around and it seems to be fixed! Bike wasnt starting though guess I need to mess with the screws a little more

ok so an update, the bike will start but dies out after. It seems that the idle screw is not really affecting it! Any thoughts? I have main jets from 2 xr200 carbs but im not sure what size they are. Could the main jet really cause this problem?

My 85 XR200R has factory jets and the factory manual calls for 98 jets both primary and secondary. 

If when you replaced the cables you installed the slide in backwards it could cause it to rev high.

Very common.

Fuel screw should be 1 1/2 out to start.

Very easy to do. :banghead:

Anytime I fuss with the throttle system I always check for closure before starting the engine.  Just open the throttle and release it, with one hand on the carb  you should be able to feel, and hear, the slide hitting the idle speed screw.