RUST!

what are some ways of getting rust off your frame???

sand it

Steel wool and WD-40 is effective, but only if the rust is on the surface.  If it's penetrated deep into the frame, there's not much that can be done.

This is one of the top reasons to clean your bike, helping it last as long as possible.  I don't know the bike's history, but I wish you the best removing rust.

Steel wool and WD-40 is effective, but only if the rust is on the surface.  If it's penetrated deep into the frame, there's not much that can be done.

This is one of the top reasons to clean your bike, helping it last as long as possible.  I don't know the bike's history, but I wish you the best removing rust.

+1. Can't beat the Steel Wool Soap Pads :thumbsup: .

If it's really bad get it blasted and powder coated or respray it.

naval jelly

Steel wool works nice, but if its thick, and you don't care about leaving scratches, a wire wheel works wonders.

Never dealt with this problem myself but the hot rod guys I work with swear by rust conversion products like POR15.  It apparently converts the iron oxide to a more benign substance.

Anything with phosphoric acid is ideal for removing rust.  Naval Jelly, Ospho, whatever work to remove the rust but also passivate the steel to keep it from coming back under coatings.  There are also electrolytic compounds that work for lighter deposits such as Lime-Away, CLR, Rid-Lyme, Salt-A-Way, etc... 

Strip and repaint the frame.

Strip and repaint the frame.

Or powdercoat :D

I looked into "Naval jelly" but only found fluff and lint :banghead: .

I looked into "Naval jelly" but only found fluff and lint :banghead: .

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1876643

Maybe you are being sarcastic but I've had one too many tonight and don't feel like trying to figure it out. So here you go.

Edited by BDubb106

Powder coat!!! Cost effective!

Eastwood rust encapsulator. I believe they only sell in black though.

If the frame is rusty, it's probably been eons since it's last freshen-up.  Time for a winter rebuild.