Sign in to follow this  

crf 250r 2006- crf 250 2010 compatability

hi guys new to the forum based in uk .

iv had a 2006 crf 250r just over 12 months now engine almost seized up whilst on a track day (bottom bearings went) had it done at a cost of £700.the bike is a real nice bike runs lovely now kicks up first kick so everything hunky dory. i bought a new front sprocket,heavy duty chain and supersprox rear sprocket and fitted them to the 06 bike,bike looks fantastic and rides lovely but i bought a newer 2010 model (fuel injected) and tried it out at the weekend. Now my question is will the chain and sprockets fit the 2010 model...iv searched the internet for info but cant find anything and dont want to waste time stripping both sets off swapping them over to find they dont fit or work properly. Does anyone have any good sound advice as wether swapping is ok or not?

thanks in advance.

hi guys new to the forum based in uk .

iv had a 2006 crf 250r just over 12 months now engine almost seized up whilst on a track day (bottom bearings went) had it done at a cost of £700.the bike is a real nice bike runs lovely now kicks up first kick so everything hunky dory. i bought a new front sprocket,heavy duty chain and supersprox rear sprocket and fitted them to the 06 bike,bike looks fantastic and rides lovely but i bought a newer 2010 model (fuel injected) and tried it out at the weekend. Now my question is will the chain and sprockets fit the 2010 model...iv searched the internet for info but cant find anything and dont want to waste time stripping both sets off swapping them over to find they dont fit or work properly. Does anyone have any good sound advice as wether swapping is ok or not?

thanks in advance.

chain will, dont know about sprokets (they should i think)

Isn't the 2010+ chain 116L and the 2009 and prior only 114L? I know both sprockets will fit but the chain is likely too short.

Rear sprocket is the same, fits most Hondas, even my xr400.

Front sprocket I think is different.

I would just swap the sprockets and buy a new chain for $20, and ignore the heavy duty BS. Lighter chain = faster! Heavy duty is for torque monsters like the XR.

dont listen to hi,! ^ get a DID X-Ring chain Gold & Black and it will do over 1000 hours! i have one on my 450 and it hasn't needed adjusting since i put it on and i have done 70 hours!

I wasn't really talking about o-ring chains.

He mentioned he had a "heavy duty" chain, i was just pointing out that a $20 non heavy duty chain might suit him better. You don't really need a heavy duty chain on the 250. I assume he is riding track in the UK.

I also run the DID VX-2 chain, it is a great chain if you are going to be riding mud, fording rivers, or other situations where junk can get into the rollers, but it doesn't fit as well as a standard chain and also robs some power. And it is more annoying to work on.

Another thing - the x-ring won't last 1000 hours, you are delusional

thanks for replies and info guys..looks like iv got to do some measuring of chain length. Il probably get a new front sprocket swap the rear sprocket and get a new chain. Thanks again :0)

The VX2 x-ring chain fits perfectly and is the same width as the "narrow x-ring" VT2... and ring'd chains don't rob enough power to merit not using them...

Edited by Eddie8v